Joe is not a Trader in my opinion.

gman430

Ran to HD tonight and drove by the TJ's location....peeked in....definitely loooking like a TJ. Size looks pretty standard. The trademark wood is starting to go up everywhere....even on the columns.

And here is a really bad camera-phone photo showing the wood mentioned by gsupstate. Photo taken Sunday, 9/12/10.post-24209-037519100 1284476987_thumb.jp

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great photos Citylife. :thumbsup:

I flew back in today, and planned to stop by TJ's on the way home from the airport. I got to Woodruff Road, drove in front of TJ's and changed my mind. The parking lot was absurd....didn't look like a single empty spot. People lined up to turn in. Looked like Christmastime shopping.

I stopped by TJ's yesterday. Parking lot congestion is about the same as Whole Foods. Since the TJ's store has smaller interior space, however, it was a lot more crowded. Still, the checkout lines were moving smoothly and quickly. I noticed that they were nearly sold out of their reusable bags.

I commented to the checkout clerk that I hoped TJ's would plan a second G'ville store soon, to which he replied that the idea has already been floated and that they are collecting demographics on current customers by asking each customer his or her ZIP code. (IMHO, using ZIP code data could result in somewhat misleading results, since, for example, the Simpsonville 29681 ZIP code wraps all the way around from below Mauldin to Five Forks beyond the East Side.)

Incidentally, Whole Foods was also doing this same type of demographic survey recently.

I stopped by TJ's yesterday. Parking lot congestion is about the same as Whole Foods. Since the TJ's store has smaller interior space, however, it was a lot more crowded. Still, the checkout lines were moving smoothly and quickly. I noticed that they were nearly sold out of their reusable bags.

I commented to the checkout clerk that I hoped TJ's would plan a second G'ville store soon, to which he replied that the idea has already been floated and that they are collecting demographics on current customers by asking each customer his or her ZIP code. (IMHO, using ZIP code data could result in somewhat misleading results, since, for example, the Simpsonville 29681 ZIP code wraps all the way around from below Mauldin to Five Forks beyond the East Side.)

Incidentally, Whole Foods was also doing this same type of demographic survey recently.

Great post, and thanks for sharing your info straight from the horse's mouth! :thumbsup:

I know we've discussed Whole Foods' supposed desire to open a second location in Greenville, so I wonder if we'll be hearing more about this soon. Trader Joe's tends to open multiple stores in a city not long after opening their first one, so I'm glad they are already doing their research. I hope one of these will open a downtown location. Washington Square, or another yet-to-be-announced mixed-use development would be perfect. There is supposedly a mixed-use development in the works for the North Main area but I'm not sure how far along it is...

Note: the following rant is somewhat tongue-in-cheek, somewhat irritated. I just can't decide which is which.

And now that the dust has settled and excitement has waned, I -- a T.J.'s Cultist by my own admission -- must ask: WTF? (This could stand for "Where's The Food" for those who are easily offended.)

Joe's usually has really great, yet somewhat odd, combinations that are amazing -- like the chili-spiced mango, etc. They're famous for items like that, which is why the place is so interesting. I'm hoping it's just a stock issue for a new store.

But c'mon. Their wonderful chocolate covered orange and raspberry sticks, smoked cheeses, specific wines, and quite a few other "must get" things on my list -- no where to be found. We were told these items are "Seasonal." (Sure, Wal-Mart has these, but it's not the same. Not even close.) Seasonal? What season, Leap Year?

And the Wine section gets a small corner like an afterthought?

<sarcasm> I really hope I'm wrong, but I get the feeling that Trader Joe's is "dumbing down" for us country bumpkins by not offering exotic foods and greater choices with WINE, which Church tells us is EVIL. You know, we only eat Grits and ain't never been outta the state, 'cept to Gatlinburg for our first two honeymoons. With our sisters. </ sarcasm>

OK, I'm done ranting. I still spent a mint the first day, and much more in the days since. But it's just not.... all there... Sigh... :unsure:

It all looks there to me. :dontknow: Our store is the exact same size as the ones i've been to in Charlotte and Atlanta. Offers the same products and has the alcohol in the back of the store too. TJ's is known to have lots of items either new, discontinued, or only available during certain parts of the year.

• 1 month later...

I've been on a couple of websites and facebook pages and both have had comments about the change in products at TJ's, but not just at our store. They seem to have seasonal products now and a lot of people aren't happy about it. Doesn't change their loyalty to Trader Joe's. Since I'm new to Trader Joe's I'm still learning what items are good there. Then again, I haven't found anything I did not like yet!

Archived