Good Beer in Charlotte

I just returned from vacation in Europe and I enjoyed some great beer while I was over there! Konig Ludwig stood out, and I also had Erdinger Weissbier, along with some other delightful smaller brews. Additionally, while I was studying abroad in the Netherlands I enjoyed some amazing Belgians, such as Kwak and Delirium. My question is where can I enjoy these beers in Charlotte? I would prefer them to be on tap but bottled works as well. I'm not too familiar with the bar/tavern scene in the QC since I'm just 22 and spent most of my 21st year in the Triangle.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to Icehouse last night...solid recommendation! I wish they had more on tap, but it wasn't too shabby and they had tons of bottled beers from around the world, separated by variety. Now I'll have to try the others too!

Since i've been out of Charlotte and in Brooklyn, for 2+ years now I'm not sure if my local favorite still has the same selection, but I'm going to share anyways. Hotel Charlotte on Sharon Amity and Providence has 100+ beers, many of which are pretty obscure. They also have the "wall of suds" and mugs for regulars. You earn a mug when you've had 25 of them, you get a tshirt at 50, and you get on the wall of suds after 99. There is one beer that is allegedly made with waters from the Amazon.

How is Duckworths? Is it worth the trip?

Oh. My. God. YES (if you like craft beers, not mass produced beer)!

60 taps (and not the usual lineup...infact, almost everything on tap is high gravity and hard to find). 150 bottles. $2.50 on all drafts on Tue/Thu plus other specials the other days. Awesome selection of NC beers also.

You can see thier draft list here: http://beeradvocate.com/forum/read/2905737

Also, Taco Mac posted on thier FB page today the the Charlotte location would be open in August. I know they are hiring now as they have a tent setup out front.

Taco Mac's is also supposed to be on par with Flying Saucer for beer selection.

I am going out on a limb here and say Duckworths beer quality is hands down better than Flying Saucer for top notch beer. A lot of Flying Saucers taps are of the "standards" where almost nothing on Duckworths list is a standard. Doesn't mean Duckworths is better (IMHO it is), but they do have a lot more hard to find and highly rated beers.

Yep, gotta try the "new" Duckworths. Its so nice to see a concept actually thrive in these times. Eagerly awaiting Taco Mac as well (drive by purposefully once a week).

To the OP, have you tried Olde Mecklenburg Brewery yet in Southend? If you are a fan of German style beers its a must!!!

Yep, gotta try the "new" Duckworths. Its so nice to see a concept actually thrive in these times. Eagerly awaiting Taco Mac as well (drive by purposefully once a week).

To the OP, have you tried Olde Mecklenburg Brewery yet in Southend? If you are a fan of German style beers its a must!!!

I haven't to OMB yet but I have had the OMB Copper, which I thought was quite good. Maybe this weekend I'll do a brewery tour there!

Went to OMB today for the tour...I really enjoyed it! I only tried the Copper and Mecklenburger...I liked the Copper more, and it was very reminiscent of a beer I had in Dusseldorf (the Altbier), but I thought the Mecklenburger was also a solid beer if you like the lighter colored beers. To each his own! I hope they expand soon and become more known quickly.

Looks like NCMF is getting a beer garden!

In the months ahead, confirmed additions include:

•A 1,000-square-foot nightclub billed as the world’s smallest bar.

•Platform, a tapas restaurant created by a Johnson & Wales graduate.

•A 2,700-square-foot restaurant aimed at healthier, gourmet fare, with a menu emphasizing fish and lighter entrees.

A German-style beer garden and rib shack.

(Urbanity question: Is it a beer garden/rib shack or are they getting a beer garden and a rib shack?!?)

•A pizzeria created by a New Jersey restaurateur.

Read more: N.C. Music Factory is finding audience in Fourth Ward - Charlotte Business Journal

I'll cross post in the NCMF thread

Probably not exactly what the OP was looking for, but the Waldhorn in Pineville has some great beer on tap (and in the bottle). The highlight for me is the Paulaner Oktoberfest, which is really hard to find in bottles, and I've never seen it anywhere else on tap -- delicious.

I haven't been to the Waldhorn in years, but it sounds like it would be a good place for beer considering it's German. Thanks for all of the suggestions! Unfortunately I'm moving to Seattle so I won't be able to experience the beer around here for a while, but I hear it's pretty solid out there and they have a lot of microbreweries. I'll have to let you all know. :P

Archived