New Mixed Use development proposed for Coit and Hastings

GRDadof3

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A new mixed use development is being proposed for the corner of Coit and Hastings. 3 stories, 5200 sf of retail, 11 - 12 residential units upstairs.

4766357950_e851393c60.jpg

4765719949_0b9583b060.jpg

4765719883_f265d1ab6e.jpg

I frequently run over the connecting bridge.

It has a surprising amount of pedestrian traffic during the day.

(Mostly GRCC and GVSU nursing students.)

An unusual but convenient location to serve the medical mile.

A nice project for this neighborhood.

Too tall! Too dense! It'll encourage college riff-raff into the neighborhood, and our children play in that alley! Oh wait, this isn't in the SWAN neighborhood.

Hey now, those words have been used in Belknap before too. But I would think this one will work out, since it's right in the spot the neighborhood wants to redevelop.

I also like the look of it... I like that it fits in with the other houses. That, too, by the way, should also make the neighborhood happy.

I like the plan, it adds some density and I also like it includes some retail space. I would have liked to see it wrap around to Hastings too, but I guess there wouldn't be enough on-site parking if they extended the building.

A new mixed use development is being proposed for the corner of Coit and Hastings. 3 stories, 5200 sf of retail, 11 - 12 residential units upstairs.

4766357950_e851393c60.jpg

4765719949_0b9583b060.jpg

4765719883_f265d1ab6e.jpg

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS!! It is because of concepts like this that I had long ago proposed putting an I-696-style "Park Deck" over I-196 from Coit to the western face of MSU Medical School (to create a greenspace connector between the northern edge of the RDV/Christman development and the southern edge of Belknap Lookout). The high-end medical students/staff/researchers of the Medical District could galvanize the whole Belknap Lookout to morph into a dense and highly attractive micro Brooklyn-type area. KUDOS!

One little nitpick: what's with the little strip between the actual sidewalk, and the covered sidewalk in this project? Guess I can't say I'm too big on the faux-house look.

My nitpick is with the bicycle riding on the sidewalk. :)

• 1 month later...

Archived