Downtown Street Parking

It became awared to me ($30 ticket!) last Thursday that you cannot park on Central Blvd at all from 2AM-8PM. So it is only free from 6pm-2AM? WTF??? Before, it was free everyday from 6pm-8AM, and all day Sundays. Does anyone know if this only apply to Central or all meter parking areas? And what the hell is the city's rationales for this? This sucks on so many levels. As a downtown resident, you now can not have friends and families staying overnight? And imagine leaving clubs when bars closing at 2AM? You get a ticket! Anyone with further info please give, thanks.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It became awared to me ($30 ticket!) last Thursday that you cannot park on Central Blvd at all from 2AM-8PM. So it is only free from 6pm-2AM? WTF??? Before, it was free everyday from 6pm-8AM, and all day Sundays. Does anyone know if this only apply to Central or all meter parking areas? And what the hell is the city's rationales for this? This sucks on so many levels. As a downtown resident, you now can not have friends and families staying overnight? And imagine leaving clubs when bars closing at 2AM? You get a ticket! Anyone with further info please give, thanks.

This is from the city's website (I think you have a case):

On-Street Meters are enforced

Monday - Saturday 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. On-street meters are free from

6:01 p.m. - 7:59 a.m. and City holidays.

Orlando City Street Metered Parking

This is from the city's website (I think you have a case):

On-Street Meters are enforced

Monday - Saturday 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. On-street meters are free from

6:01 p.m. - 7:59 a.m. and City holidays.

Orlando City Street Metered Parking

Actually, they now have signs on the street saying no parking 2AM-8PM. I still do not understand the logic.

That was my thought too, but pretty inefficient for an outright ban. It should just be the nights they plan on cleaning

Exactly. The ban was effective since last thursday. I called the parking folks this morning and they do not have a clue, government workers for ya.

Ok, finally got an answer from someone in Transportation Dept. According to them, these signs were installed back in June 2008 for street cleaning every morning. That answer still sounds fishy to me. I have live downtown for 5 years on Central and I would have seen these signs. Additionally, can the City really afford or have the need to clean it every morning on Central and Eola Drive (thats where the signs are posted too). Not surprisingly, the "head" person in the Parking Division were not even aware of these restrictions.

Archived