Odd request concerning Time Warner DVR customers only

swampfox43

I debated whether I even wanted to bring this up here, but after discussing this with a co-worker who has the same problems, I thought I'd give it a shot. Who knows. If enough people are having the same problem, maybe something will eventually be done to correct it.

This concerns only Time Warner customers who are using the DVR brand Scientific Atlanta 8300, supplied by Time Warner (unless you are using another brand and having the same issue).

I'll get straight to the point. Does anyone have problems with non-responsive, or severe lag in response when using the remote control to, record, delete, play, save, etc.? I've been using the Time Warner DVR setup for about 5 years and this problem started almost a year ago. I've since complained and was given a new DVR and remote but the exact same problem still exist. I talked to the TW rep and he, although reluctant to admit it, made a comment along the lines of "the recent updates have overloaded the system and it just takes longer for the DVR to respond to the remote." Well, how about no response at all sometimes! I can push "play" 4 or 5 times on something I've recorded before it finally reacts. It's insane! It has nothing to do with how far I am from the DVR. It's less than 10 feet. Anyway, as minor as this may seem to many, it's become a real pain in the you know what. I know of at least one other person having the same issue so I am curious just how wide spread this is. Maybe UP readers can help me out here.

And please! None of you "I use satellite TV and don't have this problem". This concerns Time Warner and their DVR's. :thumbsup:

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm on twc and have a similar problem sometimes, but my dvr is a samsung smt-ht3090. the lag is by far most noticeable when trying to delete shows, and its a really slow process to clear out a large number of them. it's ALWAYS done that, but lately i'll sometimes be fast forwarding, and the remote becomes completely unresponsive (except for the power button). the only thing to do is to let it fast forward the entire show and then try again. really annoying.

I have an 8300 as well and have the same problem. Ever since they did a software upgrade a year or so ago, it just hasn't been the same. I have also noticed that the system is generally less user friendly in the small details - I.e. Now you might have to make two menu choices instead of what used to be one, you now have to manually delete old episodes when they used to delete themselves when storage space filled up. I got a first look at Verizon FIOS last week in Virginia, and it didn't look much better. I was underwhelmed. Hopefully Uverse will make its way here to central Charlotte soon (and actually perform better), because my HOA doesn't allow DirecTV satellites, so that is not an option for me.

I've experienced the same issue as well. Interestingly, my parents in Monroe (not on the Charlotte system apparently) also have an 8300 but their unit doesn't exhibit the same delay/slowness that those of us in the Charlotte division have experienced.

Maybe if enough of us complain TWC will do something about it?

...nah, I really don't think they care.

Thanks for the replies everyone. At least I know it's more a widespread problem. Besides the remote delay there are quite a few other issues that don't work consistently. One, being able to rewind on the last viewed channel. Sometimes this works but sometimes it doesn't. It use to work flawlessly a year ago. Also, when you hit the "pause" button, the pause bar on the TV use to go away after a few seconds. Now it stays there. So much for catching those movie or TV credits that are directly behind the bar. Arghhhh!! I could go on and on....

But who can I voice my concern directly to that works in that department? :dontknow:

I suppose Neo hit the nail on the head.....they don't really care anyway..

Archived