Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lootles

River Arts District

11 posts in this topic

Word came last week that Dave Steel closed down their facility at the corner of Roberts Street and Clingman Avenue in the River Arts District. Today I understand that the property has already been sold. Has anyone heard what the plans for the property are? Or who has bought it?

Demolition has begun on the Dave Steel building between Roberts Street and Clingman Avenue. Any word on this yet?

Who knows what's planned, probably nothing. I doubt some developer is waiting in the wings to start construction as soon as the old buildings are gone. The only new construction that has happened in the RAD so far is 372 Depot, and its construction was highly subsidized. Most of what has happened there so far has been renovation of old industrial buildings. Therefore, I'm worried that if Dave Steel tears down all their buildings, then there will be nothing left to renovate and the lot will sit empty.

Love it, right scale for the area. Live/work on the ground floor makes sense as an approach for the RAD.

I hope it works out. This is similar in scale and form to the Chesterfield Mill project which hasn't gone anywhere, but this one has the benefit of being planned/built by a single developer rather than attempting to parcel it out and develop it piecemeal, plus it's right in the heart of the RAD while the Chesterfield site is a few blocks away.

pilos-graphic.jpg

Reposting the graphic since somehow Alias's attachment seems to have trouble loading.

The site plan for RAD Lofts is up on Development Mapper and it seems to match the renderings to a T. Exciting to see this moving forward, but I am moderately skeptical that a market-rate building of this size can be supported in this location. Glen Rock is smaller and a lot of its cost was subsidized by affordable housing grants.

The RAD Lofts project has been "dumbed down" significantly. The neat little two-story building towards the corner of Roberts & Clingman with the little pedestrian corridor between it and the rest of the complex is gone. Now the entire development is a single monolithic structure. The Roberts Street side still looks fine, but the Clingman Ave side takes a big hit. half of the Clingman Street frontage will be either blank brick or aluminum louvered vents facing the parking deck. Another 1/3 of it will be walk-up residential units built about 4-8' above grade, and about 1/6 closest to Roberts Street will be retail. All in all a huge drop in retail space and a conscious decision to prioritize Roberts in that respect over Clingman.

Not quite sure what led to this change but this feels like a pretty blatant bait-and-switch. Design something gorgeous and show renderings in order to get zoning approval. Then start from scratch and design something much simpler in order to maximize profits without having to go back through zoning.