Biggest Disappointment

MTSUBlueraider86

The city has had quite a few proposals over the years and the following list will bring back memories. What do you regret not seeing built?

1) Nashville City Center 2.

2) The Tower on Second Avenue. (The one stopped by Lamar Alexander and Anne Roberts.)

3) Signature Tower.

4) West End Summit.

5) The Lionstone Building on Roundabout Plaza.

6) The Westin Hotel.

7) The Eakin Twin Towers.

8) Griffin Plaza.

9) The Cumberland. (The original building that would have replaced what now is the Courtyard Marriott on 4th. The Joe Rogers Building)

10) The 28 story W hotel on Roundabout Plaza.

11) The New Federal Courthouse.

12) The Nashville Tower. (The 750 foot observation deck like the one in Seattle.)

13) The Tower at 7th and Commerce. (The 48 story office tower where the old Genesco Building was behind Hume Fogg High School. That's why they tore it down.))

14) The Hotel Tower on Union Street. (The 45 story hotel tower that would be standing where TPAC is now.)

15) HCA Tower. (On Tony's Signature Tower Lot.)

16) The Clock Tower. (On Tony's Signature Tower Lot.)

17) The Sonny Belew Tower. (The hideous residential tower that looked like it belonged on the beach in Florida.)

18) Ryman Center. (The 47 story office tower surrounded by five 27 story towers where the Bellsouth Tower is now.)

19) The Sliver Building. (The 17-20 story super thin tower proposed across from Terrazzo.)

20) The North Gulch Development. (The proposal Tony had for a 19 story residential tower complex at the cold storage facility.)

21) Tony's unamed Tower. (The one he was going to build on the southeast side of Encore.)

22) Encore II. (The twin of Encore.)

23) Church Street Tower. (The one Tony was going to build across from the 6 story First Star Building on 8th and Church. It would replace the three story Central Parking Garage.)

24) The Nuehoff Meat Packing development. (The old meat packing plant in north Nashville was to be developed into a residential neighborhood for artists.)

25) The Rolling Mill Hill Developments.

26) The six 22 story condo Towers across from the Titans Stadium.

27) The Tower at West End and 31st. (The two brown towers were supposed to be one 24 story Tower.)

28) The Tower at 19th and West End. (This was the 32 story brick and stone tower for the lot where the Arby's and BP is now.)

29) The Michael Schmerling Towers. (This was the twin 17 story residential towers behind the Capital Bank and Trust Building on West End.)

30) The Struever Brothers/Nashville Sounds development. (Including residential and hotel towers.)

31) The 47 story MCC Tower. ( Nothing mentioned since the rendering two years ago.)

32) The Tower Investments Tower. (The 35 story office tower on the sliver lot they owned behind the Nashville Arena.)

33) The Ritz Carlton Hotel Tower. (Also proposed for the lot occupied by Arby's and BP on Weest End.)

34) The Regions Bank addition. ( The 5 story Plaza on the north east side of the building.)

35) Harrison Square. ( The 9, 9, 16 story residential towers on Harrison Street.)

36) May Town Center.

37) The Medical Mart on top of the current convention center.

There may be a few I missed, but this is enough to get the conversation going. Mine would be Signature Tower, Nashville City Center 2, and West End Summit. Although I was never a fan of West End Summit, I hate the hole we have had for the past three years.

Discuss.

SEC

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent job, SEC.

The projects I most wanted to see include (in no particular order) the Sounds/Streuver project, the Federal Courthouse, West End Summit and the various projects in North Capitol (African-American Museum, Nashville School for the Arts, Tennessee State Supreme Court Building and the Tennessee State Library and Archives Building).

WW

First, I would actually like to see the Federal Courthouse begin construction. I believe it would have quite an impact on the west side of downtown.

I would also like to see West End Summit take shape. It would help define Mid-town as an alternate to downtown and possibly encourage more development with regard to residential, hospitality, retail and entertainment.

I would liked to have seen the Struever Brothers/Nashville Sounds development in place. The death of that project really hurt. The NIMBY's will certainly kill any future chance for a stadium there.

Well, I'm definitely in agreement with wanting to see West End Summit, Fed Court House, and I really wanted to see the Eakin Towers on 11th & Demonbreun go up. And of course, Signature Tower would have been nice at either it's 800' or 1057' version.

Signature Tower, WES, May Town, NCC2, Griffin Plaza.

What is the deal with the African American Museum? I mean I understand it would be a nice project and all but this is Urban Planet, I wonder if one museum of any kind could carry the significance that people act like this African American museum carries. IMO the African American Museum is completely insignificant on all levels when it pertains to the urban environment.

Signature Tower, WES, May Town, NCC2, Griffin Plaza.

What is the deal with the African American Museum? I mean I understand it would be a nice project and all but this is Urban Planet, I wonder if one museum of any kind could carry the significance that people act like this African American museum carries. IMO the African American Museum is completely insignificant on all levels when it pertains to the urban environment.

It is very important because the location on the North Capital Mall is designed to tie North Nashville and the Capital area together. This project will activate the entire area for shops, restaurants, residential, and office buildings for the state of Tennessee. The architecture will be superb. It is also very important because three African American Universities are in the area; TSU, Fisk, and the soon to be reopened American Bible College from which Dr. Boyd and the Boyd Family Publishing empire was born. That area used to be a thriving part of downtown. Museums, cultural centers, art galleries and the like are very appropriate for the built environment and certainly have a rightful place on websites like urban planet.

Yes, the African American Museum will be a catalyst that will tie the community together and help reunite North Nashville with South Nashville.

SEC

• 8 months later...

Archived