New Pine Street YMCA

Spartan

One of the ideas in the master plan was a new YMCA in Renaissance Park- but that isnt going to happen. The Spartanburg YMCA is the largest in the state, and they say that its too large for their needs. So, the owners have decided to build a new one on the current site. The good news is that they want to help with the downtown revitalization, and their location on the fringe of downtown provides the opportunity to do that. It sounds to me like they will build their building with the master plan and urban codes in mind, even though they don't have to. That means it should front the street, with parking behind, and create a better environmentfor pedestrians and bikers- kinda makes sense too, since the Y is an excercise place, that you'd want to encourage people to do something other than drive there.

Article

• 1 month later...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The renderings of the new ymca look awesome. It will definately be the premiere ymca in the upstate. I think it says a lot for spartanburg that it can support a facility of this magnitude. I only wish it was closer to the street, such a beautiful building shouldn't be hidden behind a parking lot.

Soooo what happened to those statements they made a while back about building to the new master plan's standards even though its outside of the master plan area? This rendering looks like the front of the building which they said wuld be built behind the current facility. The Master Plan would suggest that the building be built close to the street with the parking and atheletic fields behind the building.

ymcarendering.jpg

Other than that, the building itself looks great, and I agree that this will be the premier YMCA in the Upstate. It says that they will be able to accomodate double their membership.

I thought the same thing about the placement Spartan. I was thinking that it could be built in the current front parking lot and then tear the buildings down for the playing fields. However, since the architects that designed the master plan drew this, there must be some reason that it is not placed on the street.

Otherwise, I think it is a great concept!! Might have to acutally join and get some needed exercise.

Here is a map of the YMCA property on Pine Street. From what I can see, it looks like the only place to build a new building is the lower rear corner, so the front of the new Y would face Ribault St rather than Pine. That would allow immediate access to the Rail Trail and it would also allow for other development to be built in the parking lot on Pine St, so may all is not lost here. We need to see some site plans for the property, so if anyone can get a copy that can be shared, please share it wiht us on UP.

ymcaproperty.jpg

Soooo what happened to those statements they made a while back about building to the new master plan's standards even though its outside of the master plan area? This rendering looks like the front of the building which they said wuld be built behind the current facility. The Master Plan would suggest that the building be built close to the street with the parking and atheletic fields behind the building.

ymcarendering.jpg

Other than that, the building itself looks great, and I agree that this will be the premier YMCA in the Upstate. It says that they will be able to accomodate double their membership.

WOW, very nice! Are there renderings of the inside as well?

• 1 year later...

SRHS will be moving their rehab center over to the new YMCA. This will be great for the hospital as well as the Y itself, allowing them to better secure construction financing. Work is expected to begin this fall and will include some very nice ammenities.

The link below from the HJ includes a conceptual drawing showing the new building. The field in front is where the current YMCA is located.

ARTICLE

I posted that image a while back. Its good that they have established this partnership. I'm looking forward to seeing this project complete since they said it would adhere to the guidelines provided by the master plan and urban code- despite the fact that it has not been adopted.

ymcarendering.jpg

• 1 year later...

I felt like this deserved its own thread, since this project finally looks to be happening.

I received a letter in the mail yesterday about the new Pine Street YMCA. The new building will be 80,000 square feet to be located at the back of the current YMCA property and facing Ribault Street. Architectural drawings are being submitted to the City for approval, with an anticipated October 2010 groundbreaking. Once construction begins, it should take 12-18 months to build. That means a projected completion date in early Spring 2012. The facility is being designed by McMillan Pazdan Smith Architecture and is a dramatically different design than that of previous renderings.

Here are scans of the letter I received and the included rendering:

post-24605-017141400 1280358382_thumb.jp post-24605-029977800 1280358379_thumb.jp

Thanks for creating this thread. I'll go back and pull all of the old YMCA posts and move them here.

As for the building itself, it's not spectacular, but its a solid design, and since they are abiding by the yet-to-be-adopted Urban Code it will be placed near the street, and it should help improve the character of that portion of Pine Street.

I felt like this deserved its own thread, since this project finally looks to be happening.

I received a letter in the mail yesterday about the new Pine Street YMCA. The new building will be 80,000 square feet to be located at the back of the current YMCA property and facing Ribault Street. Architectural drawings are being submitted to the City for approval, with an anticipated October 2010 groundbreaking. Once construction begins, it should take 12-18 months to build. That means a projected completion date in early Spring 2012. The facility is being designed by McMillan Pazdan Smith Architecture and is a dramatically different design than that of previous renderings.

Here are scans of the letter I received and the included rendering:

post-24605-017141400 1280358382_thumb.jp post-24605-029977800 1280358379_thumb.jp

Beautiful building and design. Great asset for the community of Spartanburg and also for Pine Street. I also understand that the design references the original Spartanburg YMCA built before 1920.

Not really any new info, but here is the Herald-Journal article about the new YMCA.

The design is nice, and fits a YMCA well. As far as the building's location, I think that while fronting Pine Street might give the Y more visibility, it wouldn't be as practical. Pine Street is a major thoroughfare with fast moving truck traffic, and fronting the street there wouldn't feel that safe or inviting. Ribault Street, while being tucked away a bit (and behind some ugly buildings on Henry Street), is certainly much lower trafficked. And, of course, the location on Ribault Street will be perfect for accessing the Rail Trail.

While the front is OK, the side that people will see the most from Pine Street is very plain and boring. They think that simply having a multi-purpose field there will entice people to join. How about a nice patio/snack area or something looking out over that field and not just a row of windows.

• 1 month later...

I was over at the Pine Street YMCA this evening, and the front desk had a more detailed site plan for the new YMCA. I wish I had a camera with me at the time so I could take a picture of it, since it doesn't seem to be available online anywhere. However, here is a diagram as best as I can remember:

post-24605-099084700 1284517338_thumb.jp

As you can see, the building will be on the very back of the property, set back far from the street. That's disappointing, but unfortunately not surprising. When will Spartanburg "get it"?

In related news, the groundbreaking for the new YMCA will be Tuesday, October 12 at 5:15 pm.

Pine Street YMCA Facebook page

I was in the Y the other day and I too saw some of the plans. Yes it will sit back from Pine St, but is that a bad thing? There will be a lot of green space in place of that parking lot and it will sit right on Ribault St as well as the Rail Trail which should help give more traffic to the trail.

The only problem I foresee is if the Y takes the very lowest bid and builds a shoddy complex which is entirely possible since these guys are noriously cheap. I know its a non profit, but the men's health club burned about 2 years ago and what was built back already needs replacing.

Wow, what happened to adhering to the Urban Code?

This is ridiculous. All they had to do was make the building front Ribault St and put the athletic fiels in the back (which was the original plan from what I can recall). This is just going to be a mini-Dorman.

Looks like suburbia wins another one in Sparkle City.

Wow, what happened to adhering to the Urban Code?

This is ridiculous. All they had to do was make the building front Ribault St and put the athletic fiels in the back (which was the original plan from what I can recall). This is just going to be a mini-Dorman.

Looks like suburbia wins another one in Sparkle City.

I'm guessing the reason they didn't do that is because it would require tearing down the existing building before building a new one. I doubt they wanted to go months/years without an actual YMCA building.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived