New Pine Street YMCA

Spartan

No, they are using some word trickeration on us. The building will faceRibault St, not "front" it. There will be ball fields adjacent to the street and a driveway that goes around them. The new building will sit where the current ball fields are.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for posting the site plan westsider, although I don't recall anyone accusing you of making stuff up. After reading the HJ article, I was simply hoping that they had decided to move the building forward.

Did you or anyone else have a chance to ask the officials why the building is so far off the street? It could be a safety issue. If the ballfields were behind the building and right on the rail trail, then the fields would be harder to secure. Having the field in front may be easier in that way. (doesn't mean I like it though)

However, we all know that it was more than likely a money issue. Putting the building back there means that they can stay in their current building much longer.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, pretty much the only "tribute" to the old-school, original YMCA is in the awnings, and that's really quite subtle. Here are a few more recent photos:

post-24605-0-05820700-1333042123_thumb.j post-24605-0-41549200-1333042133_thumb.j

As you can see, they are currently screening the HVAC units on the pool roof. If you check the webcam at spartanburgymca.org, you can see them bricking the area in front of the entrance. Since my last update, they have covered the awnings, put fencing around the little plaza outside of the pool, finished the cladding around the entrance, and even added the name of the facility (Thomas E. Hannah Family YMCA).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Grand Opening for the new YMCA was last Thursday. I took a tour of the place, and it's definitely a state-of-the-art facility. The YMCA has already surpassed the number of new memberships they projected reaching 18 months after opening, so that's good to hear. The old building will undergo asbestos removal, then demolition will begin in early June and should be complete by September. A multipurpose field will take its place.

Herald-Journal article

6961985564_c29c401bfc_c.jpg

Flickr photo page

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The old 1964 YMCA is no more. It's been totally demolished, and they're now doing site clean-up. Though they did preserve most of the trees around the old Y, it looks very open. It will take time to get used to. But I'm sure once they finish the field and add new trees, it will look fine. Here are some demo pics:

post-24605-0-41273000-1342982706_thumb.j post-24605-0-77050700-1342982756_thumb.j post-24605-0-36981200-1342982823_thumb.j post-24605-0-41402600-1342982880_thumb.j

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived