Orlando Transit

Jernigan

Wanted to start a topic specifically for this after searching and finding that amazingly there are no threads here that include the subject or description "SunRail" "LYMMO" and only 1 very focused thread for "LYNX" (proposing a UCF/DT express route).

Obviously SunRail is getting the most press right now, and it seems like a week doesn't go by when bicycle commuting isn't in the Orlando Sentinel.

Have at it!

And to kick things off - LYMMO expansion.

There is a public meeting on August 2nd at the History Center to discuss the expansion possibilities. Here is a link to the invitation on the City's website:

http://cityoforlando.net/TRANSPORTATION/TransportationPlanningDiv/pdf/Lymmo_Invitation.pdf

The study area boundary is pretty exciting. I live in Eola Heights and would have to walk to Livingston/Magnolia to catch the circulator...so in the end I just walk south to Lake Eola and cut through the park if I'm going to most things in the CBD. Likewise, Thornton Park businesses would hopefully enjoy a lunch hour boost from the CBD employees that can now connect very easily.

I'm really excited about the possibility of an east-west express route. It would go right by 55 West (where I live), so I could hop on and ride the loop to get to Thornton Park businesses, particularly Publix.

The new North-South expansion would be cool too, as the CBD and Uptown may as well be 20 miles apart right now ... there isn't a lot of pedestrian traffic between those two sectors. I've been to uptown once in the 3 years I've been in downtown, and that was because I had the wrong address. :)

And to kick things off - LYMMO expansion.

There is a public meeting on August 2nd at the History Center to discuss the expansion possibilities. Here is a link to the invitation on the City's website:

http://cityoforlando.net/TRANSPORTATION/TransportationPlanningDiv/pdf/Lymmo_Invitation.pdf

The study area boundary is pretty exciting. I live in Eola Heights and would have to walk to Livingston/Magnolia to catch the circulator...so in the end I just walk south to Lake Eola and cut through the park if I'm going to most things in the CBD. Likewise, Thornton Park businesses would hopefully enjoy a lunch hour boost from the CBD employees that can now connect very easily.

Steve, thanks for the heads up on this. I plan to attend the presentation so hope to have a chance to meet some of y'all there!

I read through the powerpoint presentation that will be presented at this meeting.

For those in attendance I have a request (in my absence): It looks as if they will be discussing Lymmo BRT vs. trolley. Within the trolley realm they will also be discussing modern streetcars vs. vintage styles. I hope we are all in agreement that vintage streetcars do not belong in downtown Orlando and if we are lucky enough to have trolley cars in Orlando, we would go with a modern trolley (like Portland) instead of a vintage trolley car (like Tampa or New Orleans).

Modern trolley cars: portland_streetcar_with_tower_crane.jpg

Vintage trolley cars:

2009-12-05-Tampa-Bay-Ybor-City-teco-trolley.jpg

Just my two cents.

If it's a brand new system I would certainly suggest new cars, however don't forget that San Francisco has become a repository of antique Street Cars from around the world. If I was a street car that's where I'd want to retire.

If Orlando were to build new streetcars for a trolley line, I just would prefer that they were built in the modern style over the vintage style which is more kitschy than anything. If Orlando were to take over another city's vintage trolley cars, that's a different story. Why build new streetcars to look old? We are not New Orleans.

Edited by prahaboheme

I'll take any Lymmo expansion we can get :)

But I'd also love to see a commitment on the city's (and affected counties') part to add a more extensive network of bike lanes. Not a few, like we have now, but a grid of lanes connecting our many neighborhoods. Eventually linking College Park, Winter Park, the Downtown core, maybe even Maitland and Altamonte.

Yes, our weather is hot and rainy. In spite of that, we have (and have had for a long time) a very large cycling community in Central Florida. And many say that we'd ride to work in a heartbeat, if it weren't for lack of bike lanes that cover any meaningful distance.

Don't get me wrong, we're doing better than ever with bike lanes, but still not where we need to be to provide biker safety and to appease our car/truck drivers.

There could be a big case made for the lack of safety that a bike lane provides :P

But I hear what you're saying. More connectivity is needed. The most direct route from downtown to College Park is the Ivanhoe/I-4 exchange. Not exactly for the most timid. I'd probably go west through Creative Village and then north up Edgewater - but that's 10 years from now.

I just got an e-mail about an open house for people interested in the bike path that will run from Loch Haven Park to Magnolia. I cross this path on Virginia at least twice a day and always feel like I should be looking for a train. I had no idea it was actually an old rail bed. Does anyone know if this path will hook up to Getrude's Walk. If so, you could bike from Florida Hospital to Church Street without being in traffic.

post-11194-050635900 1281071041_thumb.jp

palmtree, from where did you receive this email? i am interested in getting on that email list, as i live in uptown and would like to know of these meetings and projects, too!

I just got an e-mail about an open house for people interested in the bike path that will run from Loch Haven Park to Magnolia. I cross this path on Virginia at least twice a day and always feel like I should be looking for a train. I had no idea it was actually an old rail bed. Does anyone know if this path will hook up to Getrude's Walk. If so, you could bike from Florida Hospital to Church Street without being in traffic.

post-11194-050635900 1281071041_thumb.jp

palmtree, from where did you receive this email? i am interested in getting on that email list, as i live in uptown and would like to know of these meetings and projects, too!

I'm a member of the College Park Neighborhood Association, and they're forever sending out information about projects. You can "like" them on Facebook and get the updates that way, too.

Driving down I-4 towards Tampa I noticed several trucks with what looked like a drilling apparatus attached to them (soil samples maybe?). These were working in the median and each was accompanied by another truck with a large tank on it. Could this be prep work for HSR? Is this thing already at that stage?

Also, I was curious how the trains will fit on some of the narrower sections of the median. Especially where the pillars of an overpass take up a majority of the room. Will the tracks shift away from the center at these points?

I just ran across this article from Christopher Leinberger that details the dynamics of urban rail transportation between the Early 20th C. and the Early 21st C. There are some great statistics and most importantly he proposes "rental income" from real estate developers to municipalities to fund transit. Quite frankly, as an industry professional that has seen the direct impact that access to rail has on property values, I think this is the kind of out-of-the-box thinking that can actually get things moving. Everyone wins.

Transit Finance Option

Edited by mrh3

• 4 weeks later...

"Gertrude Ave., including the railroad tracks

116….Gertrude’s Walk

This area, including the adjoining railroad right-of-way, was Orlando’s widest street (100 feet wide) before the railroad came through in 1880. Gertrude Ave. is named for the sister of C.D. Sweet, the mayor in 1881. A portion of the former avenue is called Gertrude’s Walk, leading north from here."

My link