Orlando Transit

Jernigan

Lymmo seems to become less and less a dedicated BRT with every new addition.  This isn't going to help the overall ridership numbers.  What made Lymmo so successful and nationally respected has a lot to do with the dedicated lanes and streetscaping efforts.

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 2

I think 50% is the magic number, funding wise, for dedicated lanes. As long as 50% are dedicated, it is eligible for certain programs. I see the grapefruit line as having been built to serve Thornton Park/South Eola as a social/recreational service, but they reached so far west so the line could build and claim the 50%. This obviously has benefit to those who live in Parramore for accessibility to Publix, LCS, etc. I think as they look to expand the reach/success of this program, there's nothing to stop LYNX and the City from adding shared-lane service to the other routes until it reaches the 50% tipping point, whether it is to the benefit of overall ridership/usability or not.

I hope they make the Orange and Magnolia sections into dedicated lanes.  Both streets are always empty north of Robinson.  And they wouldn't even need new signals, just some paint really.

Good point.

Also, Orange has an extra lane between E Colonial and Livingston I think that cuts off there.  That could be converted since there is ROW already there.

• 2 months later...

Two new "FastLink" routes are proposed for August. One would connect LYNX Central Station with Medical City in 45-50 minutes. It would take 408 to Florida Hospital East and then 417 to Lake Nona.

The other would connect the Kissimmee Intermodal Station to OIA by way of Medical City.

Both are limited stop services, utilize highways, but are not true express service. In fact, our region has only 1 express route which connects the Kissimmee Internodal Station to the Sand Lake SunRail station.

• 2 months later...

I drive this section of Orange everyday, and the bus goes from the west side at Steelhouse, Residence/Camden stops and then has to cut over 3 lanes between Amelia and Livingston to get into the eastside lane for the courthouse and the left turn onto Livingston.  Really inefficient design.  A dedicated lane would be better, but i don't know how they can fix that part, especially with traffic always backing up in the left lane for people trying to turn left into the courthouse parking garage and jury duty dropoff.  Not a good place to do that overall without even more infrastucture in place.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Today marked the launch of Zipcar in downtown Orlando.  Should have much better name/brand recognition than Hertz 24/7 did.  

Bungalower article (and map of car spots): http://bungalower.com/2016/01/31/zipcar-launches-central-florida-program/

Photos from today's ribbon cutting  and car locations from reThink (FDOT): https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1023034877738727.1073741862.105756579466566&type=3

Those signs look awesome.  Can't wait to see them at night lit up

It is so sad to read Bungalower now that Matt has moved on.  I feel like I'm reading a high school newspaper every time I open an article.  Most of their stuff is just a glorified re-post of something they link to on another site.  Who is actually trying to find news?  They are just surfing the Internet like us and they seem to be only skimming the articles.  If you re-post, at least know the subject.

There is an article about REI that refers to basically the only two major outdoor activities they don't sell most of the gear for: hunting and fishing.  What about the activities they do actually sell complete gear for? *crickets*

There is an article about Orlando Meats that refers to them as a butcher shop, but they don't butcher anything (a poster in the comments points this out and it is true) on-site.  They also re-wrote the referenced articles and seem to have incorrectly used a thesaurus to avoid directly plagiarizing the original.

But owner Edgar Massoni told me that in addition to a retail component, he's looking at the possibility of having a 22-seat restaurant in the space...

Also, the owner, Edgard Massoni, admitted that he was looking into the possibility of adding a 22-seat restaurant to the shop.

Was he being questioned by the authorities and forced to confess?

Edited by HankStrong
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, HankStrong said:

It is so sad to read Bungalower now that Matt has moved on.  I feel like I'm reading a high school newspaper every time I open an article. 

Couldn't agree more and I rant about this to my friends on a weekly basis.  I've been banned from their facebook comments for unclear reasons.  I assume it's because I point out when they post about things that aren't in Bungalow neighborhoods or when they post things without doing a modicum of journalistic research.  I keep meaning to walk over to the Exchange building and talk to the guy, but haven't had a chance yet.

• Like 2

Glad this elephant is out of the bag...wait...my editor tells me I'm mixing my idioms.  

Seriously though, I too cannot agree more.  Haven't wanted to say anything because I haven't wanted to be a jerk, but Bungalower had became such a wonderful source of information for a brief while, and perhaps the powers-that-be would benefit from knowing that the severe drop in quality hasn't gone unnoticed. 

3 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I've never been a Bungalower reader, so I don't know, but is it possible that there just hasn't really been much new inside info to report since the other guy left?

Probably...but surely the urban core of a metro area of 2.3 million people has a few interesting topics to blog about!

20 hours ago, uncreativeusername said:

Glad this elephant is out of the bag...wait...my editor tells me I'm mixing my idioms.  

Seriously though, I too cannot agree more.  Haven't wanted to say anything because I haven't wanted to be a jerk, but Bungalower had became such a wonderful source of information for a brief while, and perhaps the powers-that-be would benefit from knowing that the severe drop in quality hasn't gone unnoticed. 

You know what they say: "People in glass houses sink ships!"

I don't even live in the Bungalows and I was an avid reader!

Speaking of loving trains, I was talking a some people last night about the new OCSC Training Center in Lake Nona and they brought up the mass transit ROWs that go thru the Town Center. Any idea if those ROWs link to the sports village as well?

It would be great for SunRail Phase 3 to go past MCO to extend thru Nona. Being able to take a train from the OCSC to the downtown stadium would be fantastic. 

1 hour ago, klstorey said:

Speaking of loving trains, I was talking a some people last night about the new OCSC Training Center in Lake Nona and they brought up the mass transit ROWs that go thru the Town Center. Any idea if those ROWs link to the sports village as well?

It would be great for SunRail Phase 3 to go past MCO to extend thru Nona. Being able to take a train from the OCSC to the downtown stadium would be fantastic. 

I guess that depends on what maglev (or light rail) does. If Sunrail and Maglev both are built to the airport, and Maglev goes to Lake Nona, I imagine Sunrail doesn't need to duplicate the route for that purpose.