Orlando Transit

Jernigan

Speaking of transit, any word on the proposed Orange Blossom Express commuter train from Downtown Orlando up to Apopka, Taveres, Eustis, and Mount Dora? Haven't heard anything about it in almost a year, and that was just for a meeting/presentation. All I heard so far was some ridership studies being conducted with mixed results, but still viable. Anyways, it was further along than any suggestions for a E-W commuter rail line.

1 hour ago, Jernigan said:

Tough to buy that reason

Of course that has a negative effect. Usage of transit systems, like everything else, depends on cost vs the alternatives. Tri-Rail's record numbers were all while gas prices were near $4/gallon outside of its normal rising trend (and the trains were typically running full so it could have been higher). When gas prices fell (combined with a dollar increase on fares), Tri-Rail ridership dropped back to its normal ridership trend... which just now is bringing us back to 08 levels of ridership.

I'm not saying we should hope for higher gas prices for the sake of SunRail (we have more to lose with reduced traffic to the theme parks), but $4/gallon gas instead of $1.50/gallon surely would boost SunRail ridership numbers significantly.

I get the relationship between gas prices and ridership but that's a big drop in existing customers.   I would think the train delays would impact existing riders more than gas prices while low gas prices would slow the rate of new riders adopting the system.

Best things for SunRail ridership:

- Expansion to Kissimmee/Poinciana

-  I4 actually getting as bad as they said it would

- A distant third, station TOD 

• Like 1

On 2/5/2016 at 0:29 PM, Jernigan said:

Me, every 4 hours: "New replies in my transit thread!  People love transit!  Oh..."

Sorry to be the subject of an awful thread! I'll work harder for you guys. I just want to help spread the love of community and share current events with everyone. Your voices have been heard. I'll do better. 

• Like 2

On 2/7/2016 at 11:21 PM, Jernigan said:

The 441 corridor study didn't recommend rail. :(

Bummer.

2 hours ago, Jernigan said:

I get the relationship between gas prices and ridership but that's a big drop in existing customers.   I would think the train delays would impact existing riders more than gas prices while low gas prices would slow the rate of new riders adopting the system.

Best things for SunRail ridership:

- Expansion to Kissimmee/Poinciana

-  I4 actually getting as bad as they said it would

- A distant third, station TOD 

I agree, the ridership drop is more than just falling gas prices. Still I4 is the convenient route for me. Despite being a rough ride, it's really not as bad as I imagined. But this is only the beginning. For me it's still way more convenient to just drive as I commute on I4 in the opposite direction that everyone else does. I still use Sunrail when I go downtown for leisure or watching a game because the parking kills me.

Agreed.  Phase one was really just the path of least resistance to get going (I mean, seriously, how many people are going o ride from Maitland to Church Street?).  Phase 2, particularly the southern extension, is where I think most of the ridership will come from.  Commuter rail thrives on outer suburbs, and ours barely reaches them currently.  Also thrives on a city center that supplies most of the jobs, which we kind of lack as well....

• 8 months later...

I do not commute on it because I live/work no where near it.

I have been on it in the evening.

My wife does not use it to get to work because of where we live, but uses it regularly to attend meetings along the route.  It's also quite helpful that several of the communities along the route partner with Uber for discounts.  If a meeting is near a SunRail station, but not QUITE close enough to walk or the weather is inclement, she'll Uber.

We have plans to use it on a Saturday.

Edited by HankStrong

I've only ever used SunRail for leisure purposes. I work in downtown Sanford - the location of the Sanford station is just unfortunate, its schedule and the way the buses are scheduled just doesn't work for my commute since I'm not exactly in the traditional commuting hours. There used to be tracks that went right into downtown Sanford, to 1st Street and Oak Avenue, even today you can still see the old right of way existing in parts here and there. Years ago I had hoped Sunrail would come by that way, but looks like what was left of the right of way was sold to various property owners along it. Now I'm sure they'll fight any attempt at re-establishing the line, even if it returns as a bike trail, as has been done further to the south. If they got SunRail to go to downtown Sanford, then I could switch it into my primary commuting method. I-4 has been gradually getting worse, and in the past couple of weeks things got significantly worse with the lane changes in the Altamonte/Longwood area.

Edited by metal93
Revision

My wife and I use it all the time. We live in Lake Mary and she commutes to the Taft area every day. We bought a train car and keep it down at the sand lake station for her to get to the last few miles to work. We also use it a lot to get to the airport. Lynx has a nice direct line right to the airport from the station. A nice beginning and cant wait for future expansions. 

Edited by billy

On 11/1/2016 at 4:58 PM, billy said:

My wife and I use it all the time. We live in Lake Mary and she commutes to the Taft area every day. We bought a train car and keep it down at the sand lake station for her to get to the last few miles to work. We also use it a lot to get to the airport. Lynx has a nice direct line right to the airport from the station. A nice beginning and cant wait for future expansions. 

I've considered the train car idea, but downtown isn't far enough to make it worth it.  The drive from work --> Sand Lake --> Church Street is still about 25-30 minutes, and even most bad days on 4 aren't that bad from Kirkman to South.

Yea Andy, Lake Mary to S Orlando is definitely the perfect situation for a train car LOL. I-4 is terrible out of Seminole county, it's even starting to back up during non rush hours now. Even the 417 route is getting bad. The train expansion should be nice for folks in Kissimmee and poinciana heading to downtown. The farther away people live the better of an option it seems. I have noticed now a ton of new apartments being built right around the lines.

1 hour ago, AndyPok1 said:

I've considered the train car idea, but downtown isn't far enough to make it worth it.  The drive from work --> Sand Lake --> Church Street is still about 25-30 minutes, and even most bad days on 4 aren't that bad from Kirkman to South.

• Like 1

I'm a little sad that this far in we haven't heard a peep about expansion beyond the N/S corridor and the piece to the airport.  Specifically, that we haven't even heard about planning in that regard.

The Orange Blossom piece & the TRAIN OF THE FUTURE maglev weren't even part of the SunRail package, but more like that sort of thing. 

Wish list for further phases:

• SunRail connecting UCF campuses - Downtown/East Orlando/Lake Nona  (the current generation of college students is the most open to this sort of travel that we've seen in 50+ years)
  • Spurs connecting some established areas to the line (Poinciana proper, Conway, Winter Garden, downtown Sanford, I-Drive, the ever-volatile talk about the theme parks)
  • Daytona/Daytona Beach, I know they have to wait until the DeLand/DeBary connection happens (if/when) but this would be a major triumph.  Can you imagine being down on the South end of Orlando and taking a train to the speedway????
  • Eventually connecting to a Tampa system with transfer service.

• Like 1