Jernigan

Orlando Transit

Recommended Posts


cwetteland    89
19 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Yay?   Less emissions as it crawls down Central in mixed traffic 

OK, I didn't watch the whole video, but Wah?  The fastest production car in the world, Tesla model S, is battery and goes 0-60 in 2.28 seconds. Bugatti might be tied.  Battery, in no way, means slow.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spenser1058    836
4 minutes ago, cwetteland said:

OK, I didn't watch the whole video, but Wah?  The fastest production car in the world, Tesla model S, is battery and goes 0-60 in 2.28 seconds. Bugatti might be tied.  Battery, in no way, means slow.

The story also notes electric accelerates faster. Not sure how much difference it will make but I guess every little bit helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jernigan    1005

My comment was in response to the electric Lymmo post not the Tesla one.  Should have quoted (like I should be quoted here!)

Edited by Jernigan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
metal93    205

Electric Lymmo buses? That's nice to hear but I hope they have some redesign in the works - make the Lymmo buses less "bus-like" and make them resemble trams/modern streetcars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jrs2    379

those buses like in Vancouver and other cities with the swinging arms up top connecting to electric cables, like LRT, are they fully electric?  And if so, would that work in downtown or is there not enough space and/or are the aesthetics just not doable for hanging electric lines over Magnolia, Livingston, etc.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JFW657    1083
On 8/21/2017 at 1:01 PM, metal93 said:

Electric Lymmo buses? That's nice to hear but I hope they have some redesign in the works - make the Lymmo buses less "bus-like" and make them resemble trams/modern streetcars.

Back in the 90's the downtown Lymmo busses looked like old fashioned trolleys or streetcars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smileguy    334
On 8/29/2017 at 2:50 PM, jrs2 said:

those buses like in Vancouver and other cities with the swinging arms up top connecting to electric cables, like LRT, are they fully electric?  And if so, would that work in downtown or is there not enough space and/or are the aesthetics just not doable for hanging electric lines over Magnolia, Livingston, etc.?

I think these new busses they're looking at have onboard batteries. The articles that I have read said that LYNX was testing different models for a number of things, including charging times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HankStrong    360

Probably an even bigger pipe dream (HA! I'm funny) than Maglev, but Orlando/Miami was named a HyperLoop Top Ten in the world.

 

http://www.wesh.com/article/hyperloop-names-orlando-miami-route-as-winner-of-global-challenge/12242417

List of winners:

  1. Toronto to Montreal
  2. Bengaluru-Chennai
  3. Mumbai-Chennai
  4. Mexico City-Guadalajara
  5. Edinburgh-London
  6. Gasgow-Liverpool
  7. Chicago-Columbus-Pittsburgh
  8. Miami-Orlando
  9. Cheyenne-Denver-Pueblo
  10. Dallas-Laredo-Houston
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jrs2    379
22 hours ago, HankStrong said:

Probably an even bigger pipe dream (HA! I'm funny) than Maglev, but Orlando/Miami was named a HyperLoop Top Ten in the world.

 

http://www.wesh.com/article/hyperloop-names-orlando-miami-route-as-winner-of-global-challenge/12242417

List of winners:

  1. Toronto to Montreal
  2. Bengaluru-Chennai
  3. Mumbai-Chennai
  4. Mexico City-Guadalajara
  5. Edinburgh-London
  6. Gasgow-Liverpool
  7. Chicago-Columbus-Pittsburgh
  8. Miami-Orlando
  9. Cheyenne-Denver-Pueblo
  10. Dallas-Laredo-Houston

which exactly is the pipe dream, the feasibility of Hyperloop technology in general, compared to Maglev, or, the fact that Orlando-Miami is in the top ten? 

I personally think that the technology aside, there's nothing pipe dream about the Miami route being in the top 8.  Here's why:  As we know, HSR was to have it's second leg from Orlando to Miami; Brightline has it's initial leg Orlando to Miami.  So, there is a track record of two systems (one u/c) of the viability of that route.  So, based on this, I also believe Orlando-Miami as a route should trump at least two of the routes ahead of it.  They've already given the reasons for Orlando-Miami viability and they were enough to move Brightline forward.

As for Hyperloop's viability compared to Maglev, just look at the company and people backing them; it's more viable.

Is Hyperloop viable in and of itself?  I have no idea because I don't know about the track record of that technology.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HankStrong    360
29 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

which exactly is the pipe dream, the feasibility of Hyperloop technology in general, compared to Maglev, or, the fact that Orlando-Miami is in the top ten? 

I personally think that the technology aside, there's nothing pipe dream about the Miami route being in the top 8.  Here's why:  As we know, HSR was to have it's second leg from Orlando to Miami; Brightline has it's initial leg Orlando to Miami.  So, there is a track record of two systems (one u/c) of the viability of that route.  So, based on this, I also believe Orlando-Miami as a route should trump at least two of the routes ahead of it.  They've already given the reasons for Orlando-Miami viability and they were enough to move Brightline forward.

As for Hyperloop's viability compared to Maglev, just look at the company and people backing them; it's more viable.

Is Hyperloop viable in and of itself?  I have no idea because I don't know about the track record of that technology.

First, I'm a huge fan of Elon.  There is that concern that he's secretly Lex Luthor in disguise, but that's mostly too many comic books and movies where the billionaire with amazing dreams for the masses winds up actually being the villain instead.

The pipe dream comment was made for the joke of you being in a pipe for the entire route.

 

There is nothing pipe dream about a route between the major cities in Florida.  Orlando to Miami being the biggest piece of that.  I think ultimately that Miami to Atlanta should be an extremely high priority path of travel for ANY form of super speed tech.  Especially, if you can add the ports of Tampa and Jax into that route.  Orlando just happens to be in the sweet spot in the middle, but Miami, Tampa, and Jax (and by extension to each other) to Atlanta in all the variations would be a huge deal.

Hyperloop (Elon Musk's idea and hype machine with Shervin Pishevar & Rob Lloyd's work) vs. American Maglev (Tony Morris)?  Ha!  That's a no-brainer.  You've got a guy that randomly farts an idea one night at the pub for a giant boring machine company and it begins to be a reality by the next week.  On the other hand you have a guy that bids and promises major projects and has yet to even have more than 3 test sites since 1994, 2 of which don't function (ODU is a massive mess) and 1 hasn't had a posted progress update on anything after a test sales ride a few years ago.  Not a single announced project has come to reality.

I think the tech is completely viable.  Whether it becomes a reality or not has yet to be seen, but I think that depends a lot on people wanting to ride in a bank tube.  Also if the speeds are really close to the announced info. 

They have said they will have 3 fully functional, real world systems up and running by 2021.  We should know the answer in 4 years, I suppose.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dcluley98    536

Exactly what Hank said. Orlando to Miami and/or Tampa is key because of some of the largest southern ports that handle goods from Panama canal plus cruise terminals and airports. Needs to connect to Atlanta for Hartsfield and largest transportation hub in the Southeast. 

The interesting thing to me though was the route they showed on their website. Instead of the usual route we have seen along the coast or turnpike, they chose to go up the middle of the state following US 27 corridor west of Lake Okeechobee and up the Lake Wales Ridge to I-4 Disney area. This is rather interesting to me, but makes a lot of sense. The area is underserved by other modes of transportation, is further away from the coast so would be less prone to sea level change or hurricanes, can connect to other areas of the state such as Tampa Bay and Fort Myers area, and could potentially add more stops for central Florida or Disney/Theme Park/I-drive area.  We could have both Brightline AND the Hyperloop, and they could serve different purposes. 

Hyperloop Route.jpg

Edited by dcluley98

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
codypet    128

What about all those east coastal towns like Jensen Beach that are so desirable for stops that giving Brightline fits right now?  How can they just be by-passed?  /sarc

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

spenser1058    836

If that's the route, stay tuned for a major environmental battle. A proposal for a limited access highway in that general area got absolutely nowhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dcluley98    536
2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

If that's the route, stay tuned for a major environmental battle. A proposal for a limited access highway in that general area got absolutely nowhere.

It follows pretty much exactly the US 27 route. Maybe they planned it in the median of already owned ROW?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spenser1058    836

There's been something of a consensus for a while among the environmental community that inland Florida (particularly north of the Wekiva Parkway and south of the Polk Porkway) is the line in the sand where they'll say "NO MORE" after watching the coastal areas destroyed, particularly since 1999. 

I haven't paid attention to the details yet (I've learned Tallahassee is a lost cause and now concentrate on what we can save locally). If it's a good idea, more power to it. Just don't expect it to be easy to get approval though without a tussle, especially if it becomes a political football in 2018, particularly in the Democratic primary (so far, 3 left of center potential candidates and one moderate with John Morgan being a wild card other than his signature issue.)

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WAJAS98    61

If this actually gets built along with Brightline, then SunRail better get that Airport extension completed by then.  I'm honestly surprised the proposal didn't include more stops in Tampa, Atlanta, or Jacksonville, most of the proposals included multiple locations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.