Orlando Transit

Jernigan

The politicians are fighting over the Brightline bond funding. Article in the Sentinel lists who is for and who is against. Mostly nimbys in Martin and Indian River counties. Interesting about the bond funding not getting approved as a high speed rail. (it doesn't reach high enough speeds). They apparently went a different route to get the funding and that is one way the nimbys are trying to attack the funding. 

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/politics/political-pulse/os-brightline-bond-fight-20180522-story.html#nt=oft12aH-2gp2

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 months later...
28 minutes ago, orlandoguy said:

Is this because of a different shuttle service coming with the Downtown Campus or has SGA just decided to see how many drunk students they can kill off on the weekends? Of course, SGA politics is so Byzantine it may have more to do with Biff and Muffy being mad at some GDI's.

2 hours ago, Urban Mail Carrier said:

I was wondering because it would be a good gauge of how many ppl would use a Sunrail train if it were to ever connect from downtown to UCF main. Just thinking ahead. I assume someone has those stats.

It was probably a part of the SR 50 study.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/10/2018 at 1:14 AM, WAJAS98 said:

Does anyone have a map of the 1990s rail proposals? I'd like to know more information on them.

I found this pdf that covers the history of passenger rail in Orlando from Metroplan, but it provides all the facts and none of the visuals.

Metroplan Orlando Chronology of Passenger Rail.pdf

http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UFE0024547/00001

This Master Thesis "RAIL TRANSIT AND COORDINATION IN ORLANDO IN THE 1990s AND 2000s" is a very informative read on the failed light rail proposal and has maps for the proposed line. I still think they should go thru with this segment tbh, maybe adjust slightly for some reduncies with SunRail.

• Thanks 1

On 9/10/2018 at 1:14 AM, WAJAS98 said:

Does anyone have a map of the 1990s rail proposals? I'd like to know more information on them.

I found this pdf that covers the history of passenger rail in Orlando from Metroplan, but it provides all the facts and none of the visuals.

Metroplan Orlando Chronology of Passenger Rail.pdf

Here is a map from the link @Naqiy90 shared.

image.png.f49e0219fe7fab6c2199eaf87f5ba3fa.png

image.png.6cef473c9dd8d9334402add26653eab2.png

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Naqiy90 said:

Thanks! I was going to share the image but got distracted. Imagine this line with 5-10 minute headway’s instead of Sunrail, Orlando would be in such a better place today if the leaders then had the vision to make it happen!

As I studied this Map I thought the same. It's truly a shame where we could have been.  Honestly this could STILL work today. imo

7 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

As I studied this Map I thought the same. It's truly a shame where we could have been.  Honestly this could STILL work today. imo

Idk how they thought to have a stop on Michigan st for this light rail, but didn’t think to put one in for Sunrail . The lack of stations between the Amtrak station and Sand Lake station is baffling considering the growth of SoDo and the enclosed nature of the Orlando Regional station. I want to get a petition going for an infill  on Michigan, I think it would be a cost effective way to boost ridership.

19 hours ago, WAJAS98 said:

I think a modified version of that route that acts as an east-west route through downtown would work very well.  It would go west from downtown to Parramore and Metrowest and eventually follow the proposed route south of John Young Parkway.

Thats a little neglectful of the heaviest Lynx route. That proposed route through RIo Grande was splendid. That 32839/32805 zip codes carry tons of passengers commuting to I Drive area. That originally route isn't as neglectful as what you propose.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Thats a little neglectful of the heaviest Lynx route. That proposed route through RIo Grande was splendid. That 32839/32805 zip codes carry tons of passengers commuting to I Drive area. That originally route isn't as neglectful as what you propose.

I should clarify that I I don’t know the commuting habits of specific neighborhoods. I was just thinking that the area immediately west of downtown should be connected to the system.

On 9/16/2018 at 11:36 AM, spenser1058 said:

The Orlando City Council will vote tomorrow on a one-year pilot to bring dockless bike sharing by Lime to town:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange/os-orlando-bike-share-no-rack-20180914-story.html

From the Sentinel

They’re a nightmare in other cities. Residents and city officials hate them. People drop the bikes wherever they want, causing a disorderly mess in roads and sidewalks, at parks and stores, without any regard for propriety or pedestrians. In some cities, there are IG posts dedicated to innovative ways of destroying the bikes, like leaving them up trees, in city garbage cans, on top of buildings etc.

Dockless bikes haven’t  worked in far too many other cities; I don’t expect the swell residents of Orlando to be any better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I’m on the fence.   I the technology is there to use geofencing and fees to make users put the bikes in certain areas and not in others.   If non-users/random passerby’s are putting bikes in places they shouldn’t be, that’s a job for law enforcement to an extent or property maintenance.

I’ve heard stories of these companies dropping hundreds of bikes on a city and while I’m sure that has been done as a disruptive way to use investment dollars by someone who has no business staying in business, I can’t believe that will keep happening.   It’s just not a real business model.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Uncommon said:

They’re a nightmare in other cities. Residents and city officials hate them. People drop the bikes wherever they want, causing a disorderly mess in roads and sidewalks, at parks and stores, without any regard for propriety or pedestrians. In some cities, there are IG posts dedicated to innovative ways of destroying the bikes, like leaving them up trees, in city garbage cans, on top of buildings etc.

Dockless bikes haven’t  worked in far too many other cities; I don’t expect the swell residents of Orlando to be any better.

Sounds like you're describing cars, which are a real hassle for cities. Dockless bikes are great for people who need them, i.e. myself. Orlando will never stop being car-dependent if we reject new technology for last mile trips. The docked bikeshare doesn't help me because their are no stations in Lake Underhill. Dockless bikes NOW!

• Like 2