Orlando Transit

Jernigan

3 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Driverless Buses to begin Operating in Orlando this Spring

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange/os-ne-orlando-autonomous-bus-20190219-story.html

This is similar to what we were discussing previously with the smaller autonomous pods that hold up to 15 passengers. Will start in Lake Nona area, not downtown. 

os-1550598890-t844q2vdkh-snap-image.jpg

This could work downtown and a dedicated lane or so like what lymmo does the original lymmo route

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

Everyone here hates Lake Nona for what it represents but it’s shaping up to be Orlando’s “it” area along with I-Drive. Downtown is sorta doing its own thing but it feels like Orlando will never truly be cohesive with so many areas in competition one another.

Actually, I agree with you. Lake Nona has done some amazing things for what it is, and thankfully it’s not just another endless subdivision but is offering places to live work and play.

It also is giving an Orlando a connection long proposed in economic circles: whereas cities have always located along the primary transportation systems of the time (mountain passes, oceans, rivers, railroads or highways), Nona is developing next to the primary transit node of our time: a major airport.

I’d never choose to live there, but all across the country there are engineers, financial types, techies and others who are blissfully happy in such environments as long as the schools measure up.

Nona is a net plus for Orlando (and the fact it’s in the city bodes well for balancing municipal budgets over the long term).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

This could work downtown and a dedicated lane or so like what lymmo does the original lymmo route

That’s true but even with the dedicated BRT lanes, there is still an excessive amount of stopping along the route.   Lake Nona is open roads, man.  Plenty of distance between that downtown they are building and the neighborhoods or even the hospitals.   It will be a true amenity there vs a backup plan for when it’s raining like LYMMO 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Actually, I agree with you. Lake Nona has done some amazing things for what it is, and thankfully it’s not just another endless subdivision but is offering places to live work and play.

It also is giving an Orlando a connection long proposed in economic circles: whereas cities have always located along the primary transportation systems of the time (mountain passes, oceans, rivers, railroads or highways), Nona is developing next to the primary transit node of our time: a major airport.

I’d never choose to live there, but all across the country there are engineers, financial types, techies and others who are blissfully happy in such environments as long as the schools measure up.

Nona is a net plus for Orlando (and the fact it’s in the city bodes well for balancing municipal budgets over the long term).

yep...schools. that is like the number one thing I hear from colleagues about neighborhoods to move to.  maybe this State should spend more money on our education system- it will have a huge positive spillover on our neighborhoods...

yeah, that's right; it's in the city limits...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lynx CEO resigns - it’s an open question whether he jumped or was pushed as he’s been under fire for some time.

Even if Jeff Bezos were running Lynx, he’d be hard-pressed to be effective as Lynx continues to be woefully underfunded.

Mayors Dyer and Demings suggest they’re working on a plan to address the perpetual shortfalls.

With Democrats in charge both  under the dome and at the brick bunker for the first time in decades, they should be judged by whether Lynx improves.

As one of the nation’s largest low-wage economies, effective transit is vital.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/transportation/os-ne-lynx-upheaval-board-meeting-20190228-story,amp.html

From the Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 3

On 2/19/2019 at 1:11 PM, dcluley98 said:

Driverless Buses to begin Operating in Orlando this Spring

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange/os-ne-orlando-autonomous-bus-20190219-story.html

This is similar to what we were discussing previously with the smaller autonomous pods that hold up to 15 passengers. Will start in Lake Nona area, not downtown. 

os-1550598890-t844q2vdkh-snap-image.jpg

Glad to see this tech moving into the Orlando market. Hopefully Beep and other will be successful in the autonomous movement.

• 2 weeks later...

Orange County mayor Jerry Demings pledged today to roll out a plan for a dedicated funding source for transit within the next few months:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange/os-ne-jerry-demings-first-100-days-20190312-story.html

From the Sentinel 

Well, it took four tries, but I think this one works...

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

11 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Orange County mayor Jerry Demings pledged today to roll out a plan for a dedicated funding source for transit within the next few months:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-ne-castle-creek-teacher-arrested-20190312-story.html

From the Sentinel 

LOL - hopefully not to help that teacher!

• Haha 4

On 3/13/2019 at 8:05 AM, HankStrong said:

Reader's Digest for the non-paywall folks?

Teacher molested students, got free transit to county jail, being held on no bond so he shouldn't occupy any space on any roads anymore. He likely will board a jail bus at some point to be transported to prison,

• Haha 1

Unrelated to anything but I can't get over how badly SunRail needs a stop in Sodo along Michigan. This area is growing way faster than any area around any of the other stops. Doesn't make sense that there are no stops in between the hospital and Sandlake. A cheap infill station could generate lots of ridership for little cost .

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

Don't get me wrong.  I'd love a stop there.  But it would feel very Church St / Lynx Central with them being so close.  When I want to take the train I bike the .75 mile to Orlando Health

Yeah but the area has so much growth I say it merits an additional station. The Amtrak one is too far from Sodo to be walkable and only one LYNX route along Orange stops at the Sunrail  station.  I would say they should either launch a LYMMO route from Downtown to Sodo that stops at the Sunrail station and hospital or add another infill stop to connect the fasting growing area. Maybe not at Michigan but the roads south of Michigan, Illiana or PineLoch  also would be good candidates.  A national renowned transit figure was discussing Sunrail on twitter a few years ago and also commented on the lack of stations in between Amtrak and SandLake.  Another station along Oakridge in Pine Castle was their recommendation.

Edited by YimbyOrlando

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 5:43 PM, aent said:

Teacher molested students, got free transit to county jail, being held on no bond so he shouldn't occupy any space on any roads anymore. He likely will board a jail bus at some point to be transported to prison,

Thanks!!  So informative.

Any thoughts on the actual article?

54 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

Thanks!!  So informative.

Any thoughts on the actual article?

In a piece covering the accomplishments during his first 100 days, Mayor Demings emphasized transit (and affordable housing) are priorities.

He plans to offer a proposal within the next several months.

When asked how he might fund any transit expansion, he suggested that’s what they are pondering for the proposal and didn’t commit to anything yet.

In other words, stay tuned. The good news is that it’s on the radar screen again.

• Like 2

Edgewood stop could make sense - if that town invested in shaping their community around it.  Rename Sand Lake to Pine Cadtle and voila - civics for all.  

SoDo is still too close to downtown IMO.   We have a ton of urbanites that don’t understand that in the cities they want us to become, people use the bus (or walk).  When we are transit tourists in those towns, our destinations are usually accessible by premium transit.

If SoDo ends up with the densities that are being incentivized (mid-high rises all the way to Michigan) then let’s revisit but in the meantime some townhomes on Grant just don’t validate the investment and the delay for commuters that the system was designed for.

For a trip of 2 miles you need the frequency to be <10 minutes.  SunRail will max out at 15.   This is why LYMMO isn’t used more - Lymmos short route would require the next bus to always be in view to be widely adopted.

Good news though - Lymmo service has been figured out to Pineloch.  Just needs funding.  Then we can figure out how to get dedicated lanes so that the bus doesn’t just become a duplication of existing service.

• Like 3

Thanks.  Being on the radar is good here.

2 hours ago, Jernigan said:

just don’t validate the investment and the delay for commuters that the system was designed for.

And ultimately, THERE is your problem.  Not you as in Jernigan, but the ethereal you closely related to the ethereal they.

Edited by HankStrong

4 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Edgewood stop could make sense - if that town invested in shaping their community around it.  Rename Sand Lake to Pine Cadtle and voila - civics for all.  

SoDo is still too close to downtown IMO.   We have a ton of urbanites that don’t understand that in the cities they want us to become, people use the bus (or walk).  When we are transit tourists in those towns, our destinations are usually accessible by premium transit.

If SoDo ends up with the densities that are being incentivized (mid-high rises all the way to Michigan) then let’s revisit but in the meantime some townhomes on Grant just don’t validate the investment and the delay for commuters that the system was designed for.

For a trip of 2 miles you need the frequency to be <10 minutes.  SunRail will max out at 15.   This is why LYMMO isn’t used more - Lymmos short route would require the next bus to always be in view to be widely adopted.

Good news though - Lymmo service has been figured out to Pineloch.  Just needs funding.  Then we can figure out how to get dedicated lanes so that the bus doesn’t just become a duplication of existing service.

I'm not sure how long the Dwell time is added by each additional stop but I will time it next time I ride, 90 seconds is my guess. I agree LYMMO would be preferred and that the North/South Orange LYMMO line is pretty much useless because it is such a short distance, while the East/West GrapeFruit line is longer and gets much better ridership, although with UCF Downtown opening there could be an influx of students who ride the free downtown shuttle. I guess the difference of opinion is because I want SunRail to be frequent Urban rail, not suburban commuter rail which it obvious is.

Maybe in the future Orlando could purchase different rail stock and run a shorter  and more frequent shuttle service within Orange County. I just think with the high capital costs associated with Sunrail we need to utilize these assets as much as possible or it'll be an inefficient use of funds.

• Like 2