Orlando Transit

Jernigan

36 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

More trains.   Fewer brise soleil installations.  Taller buildings.  Good chicken sandwiches.

This is my platform!  Spense, find me an ideal running mate.  I'm jumping in for 2020!

HANK RANKS 2020! The Trumps know tall buildings and I’ve never seen a Trump building with a brise. If Don, Jr likes fast food as much as daddy he may be your guy. Of course, they really don’t like trains much. There’s always Rick Scott if he can make money off the deal.

On the other hand, Beto’s father-in-law is a developer so that might work. Beto probably wouldn’t be a CFA fan.

And then there’s Pete.Mayor of a mid-sized City so prolly is good with trains and tall buildings. And he’s given CFA a pass. I say HANK and PETE!

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/lynx-may-not-get-a-new-ceo-until-2021/938477588

old article . But I believe this is the first move to unify Lynx and Sunrail. Most likely the new CEO will run a new unified transportation authority in 2021. Coincidentally that’s when funding by FDOT for SUNRAIL will cease. Nicola Liquori will be the perfect candidate since she was at the helm for the Central Florida Highway Authority and now runs Sunrail. I dare to say that perhaps a plan is being figured out to combine all 3 agencies. 

• 2 weeks later...

OC Mayor Jerry Demings made it official: a proposal to increase the sales tax by 1 cent will be on the November 2020 ballot. Proceeds to transit and roads.

Holding off until the presidential election increases chance of passage since there will be more casual and younger voters as well as a high turnout of Democrats and NPA voters most likely to support it.

Since becoming  blue in increasing increments after the century began, OC has mostly been supportive of tax increases when voter turnout is higher. This has a good shot at passing at long last.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange-county/os-ne-jerry-demings-state-of-the-county-sales-tax-20190516-uv6mpixtkjh7nevt4dryafsviq-story.html

From the Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2

I still believe that a more comprehensive approach needs to be formulated. Using the tourist tax to help build a line along with Virgin trains that goes from MCO to Southwest where the convention center, hotels and attractions , continue working with  private entities, combine the highway authority, Lynx, and Sunrail.  This last point would  allow profits from the Highway authority to help Lynx and Sunrail. The untapped tourist taxes, private entities, and combined agencies will lessen the dependence on the proposed tax  increase.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Urban Mail Carrier said:

I still believe that a more comprehensive approach needs to be formulated. Using the tourist tax to help build a line along with Virgin trains that goes from MCO to Southwest where the convention center, hotels and attractions , continue working with  private entities, combine the highway authority, Lynx, and Sunrail.  This last point would  allow profits from the Highway authority to help Lynx and Sunrail. The untapped tourist taxes, private entities, and combined agencies will lessen the dependence on the proposed tax  increase.

Unfortunately, much of that would have to go through Tallahassee and the folks in charge for the last two decades are unlikely to support it. We have to change Tallahassee to get support for such moves.

Edited by spenser1058

17 minutes ago, Urban Mail Carrier said:

¿ Change Tallahassee? There’s a better chance of ceding and forming our own state.

Not necessarily. It took over 100 years for the current ruling party to take over. 

2018 turnout among urban and young voters was astonishing - the problem was that the turnout among new retirees also increased significantly. 

Since turnout among older voters is close to 100%, they have a disproportionate impact, even though there aren’t as many of them. If we get all of the urban, younger, progressive voters to show up, we win. That’s why we all have to make sure EVERYONE we know actually votes - otherwise nothing changes.

It can change - several seats switched in the legislature and Congress. Keep it going!

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Unfortunately, much of that would have to go through Tallahassee and the folks in charge for the last two decades are unlikely to support it. We have to change Tallahassee to get support for such moves.

The enabling legislation provides for the following. I am afraid it's I-Drive, not Tallahassee who'd be standing in the way.

6. To acquire, construct, extend, enlarge, remodel, repair, improve, maintain, operate, or finance public facilities within the boundaries of the county or subcounty special taxing district in which the tax is levied, if the public facilities are needed to increase tourist-related business activities in the county or subcounty special district and are recommended by the county tourist development council created pursuant to paragraph (4)(e). Tax revenues may be used for any related land acquisition, land improvement, design and engineering costs, and all other professional and related costs required to bring the public facilities into service. As used in this subparagraph, the term “public facilities” means major capital improvements that have a life expectancy of 5 or more years, including, but not limited to, transportation, sanitary sewer, solid waste, drainage, potable water, and pedestrian facilities. 

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0100-0199/0125/Sections/0125.0104.html

It would be difficult to argue against a train line that directly benefits the hospitality industry. Directly from MCO to places where tourists  actually will stay and plan to visit. To make it even more interesting I would call that particular train line the            “ Tourist line”. The only thing I ask  is to permit the rest of Orlando to use it. 

On a different note, I’ve said earlier that getting that train line to the Southwest would actually clinch the approval for the FIFA World Cup in 2026. I believe Orlando will stand  to make 500 million in revenue. It will get the heads in beds.

11 minutes ago, smileguy said:

The enabling legislation provides for the following. I am afraid it's I-Drive, not Tallahassee who'd be standing in the way.

6. To acquire, construct, extend, enlarge, remodel, repair, improve, maintain, operate, or finance public facilities within the boundaries of the county or subcounty special taxing district in which the tax is levied, if the public facilities are needed to increase tourist-related business activities in the county or subcounty special district and are recommended by the county tourist development council created pursuant to paragraph (4)(e). Tax revenues may be used for any related land acquisition, land improvement, design and engineering costs, and all other professional and related costs required to bring the public facilities into service. As used in this subparagraph, the term “public facilities” means major capital improvements that have a life expectancy of 5 or more years, including, but not limited to, transportation, sanitary sewer, solid waste, drainage, potable water, and pedestrian facilities. 

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0100-0199/0125/Sections/0125.0104.html

That’s true as far as it goes. However, many legislators in the minority party have been willing to fight to change it but they’re stymied by the majority.

Truth is, its more of an urban vs exurban/rural thing than anything else. The tourism interests work that divide.

Please note that Mayor Demings’s speech today took place not downtown but at OCCC. In an era of <3 % unemployment, our tourism guys recognize they can’t grow if they don’t have workers and they have to be able to get to work.

It’s the places that are not growing and those with retirees who have no stake in Florida (ever wonder why spring training games sell out and the Rays and Marlins can’t beg people to go? it’s the retirees whose allegiance is to where they came from instead of where they live now) that are holding everything back. 

If you leave power as it exists in place, nothing changes. That’s great if you think Florida’s just great as it is now.

Edited by spenser1058

2 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

That’s true as far as it goes. However, many legislators in the minority party have been willing to fight to change it but they’re stymied by the majority.

Truth is, its more of an urban vs exurban/rural thing than anything else. The tourism interests work that divide.

Please note that Mayor Demings’s speech today took place not downtown but at OCCC. In an era of <3 % unemployment, our tourism guys recognize they can’t grow if they don’t have workers.

It’s the places that are not growing and those with retirees who have no stake in Florida (ever wonder why spring training games sell out and the Rays and Marlins can’t beg people to go? it’s the retirees whose allegiance is to where they came from instead of where they live now) that are holding everything back. 

If you leave power as it exists in place, nothing changes. That’s great if you think Florida’s just great as it is now.

It was not an entirely friendly room, particularly when Appraiser Singh was introduced.  Do you think Rosen et. al. would support a plan for a Virgin line that served Disney but not I-Drive, moreover if it took cash away from their marketing department, Visit Orlando?  Those interests view taxes that their customers pay as belonging to them.  You know as well as I do that no matter who is in the Mayor's seat, there are still just a few folks in this county who make any real decisions.

• Like 1

You noted it - Rosen and co. (and his consigliere on a GOP Commission). Rosen’s got much less impact these days due to age and his Commissioner lost re-election.

No one before dared to even suggest a transit tax. Things have changed here and they can change in Tallahassee. Remember, California was once a Republican state

• Like 1

I would like to point out that the overwhelming majority of political talk in this thread THIS WEEK has been very much on-topic and relevant to Orlando Transit.  Fair is fair and it should be pointed out.  I respect that many aspects of urban living include politics, but appreciate the difference between this chatter and hostile talk.  Thanks for civility.

I think I-Drive has a vested interest now that they didn't have in the past.  I think they've seen the future.

• Like 2