Jernigan

Orlando Transit

klstorey    42

Why can't B and E be combined? IMO I would rather see an entire LYMMO line connecting College Park to Ivanhoe Village and Mills50, then a completely different LYMMO line for Uptown a, CBD, and SoDo. Then you could have these lines connected through bus and SunRail. I don't understand why they are making you choose between Mills50 and College Park. Option E seems best as it includes Florida Hospital Health Village (can we please shorten this to FHHV or maybe FlVill or something), Mills50, Ivanhoe Village, and Virginia Ave. Mills50 is soon to get a lot more people once Mills Park opens and Option E will run right in front of that project.

I do like College Park and love seeing how this area is becoming a part of the downtown community but until Princeton gets retail along it, which I don't think its zoned for, I don't see it being truly connected to downtown. Why isn't Orange, to Virginia, to Princeton, to OBT, to Creative Village and back to LSC an option?

In my dream world there would be numerous LYMMO lines, each around the SunRail stop and one down Alafaya. Then I would have SunRail bump up the service to every 15mins from Winter Park to Sandlake. But thats still decades away. A urban gondola system built above the SunRail tracks could also solve this. Have it go from Edgewater Drive (just build the station into the new building thats being proposed for the corner of Edgewater/Princeton to Florida Hospital (an easy add on to an exisiting parking garage), to Mill50 (plenty of spots for this) to downtown to SoDo to Sandlake. With a gondola system it would be much more frequent than rail and could easily compliment the rail system. I view SunRail as an option for distance travel, county to county, then gondolas as more local travel, district to district. And buses run within each district. I would love to see every district have its own distinct bus system, a nice city wide gondola system, and then the regional SunRail but for now this is all just a pipe dream.

Also while on the topic of the Lynx Central Station. Why does LSC not have bays for third party buses? Having RedCoach, ChinaTown Express (I-95 Coach) and Greyhound stop off at the LSC would be perfect. I have looked at many options of traveling between Orlando and Tampa and RedCoach does it but the Orlando station is all the way out at the airport and Lynx doesn' t run early enough for me to take the bus from here (Winter Park) to there. The main bus terminals in most large cities seem to have bays that other companies can rent or use for free. LSC is large enough for this and it would really help the local system connect to a regional and national bus system better.

cloudship    7

As I'm looking at these routes, I'm wondering what the trolley routes for Orlando looked like 60 years ago if there were trolleys here then. It may be time to dust off those old routes and put the tracks back in.

Alas I dont think Orlando had them. All I could find was an old Horse drawn route that was short lived, unsuccessful, and long ago dug up.

Hate to stereotype, but busses by and large aren't big traffic generators by themselves. Even BRT routes rarely do wonders unless they are built to the standards of light rail, at which point the costs are about the same. If Orlando really wants to reap anything from the SunRail service, it is going to have to bite the bullet and put in some kind of light rail or people mover system. If you can get beyond the knee jerk anti-transit reactions and not oversell the idea, I think you could easily find it would pay for itself in business generated.

spenser1058    834

I like Alternative D, too. College Park and the Museums/Mills Park area are worthy destinations that aren't quite walkable from the train station, but I'm wondering about the travel time and how many buses would be needed to support a route that splits at the hospital. Where do you make the decision to get on the bus for College Park or Mills Park? Downtown or transfer at the hospital? A trip from downtown to College Park could end up taking 30 minutes one way and not something I'd chance on a lunch break.

As I'm looking at these routes, I'm wondering what the trolley routes for Orlando looked like 60 years ago if there were trolleys here then. It may be time to dust off those old routes and put the tracks back in.

Not exactly a trolley, but regular service (up to 8 times a day) was provided by the old Dinky Line between what is now Dinky Dock next to Rollins and downtown O-town. It persevered (belching smoke all the way) until the 1960's. The route is now being converted to a trail:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_thechaingang/2010/02/dinky-line-land-bought-for-orlando-urban-trail-finally.html

There are also very small tracks just to the west of OBT (not to be confused with the Pinsly tracks which are still in use) which can be seen along some of the older brick streets just north of Central, and I was once told they were part of a trolley, but never heard any details about. They may well go back to the horse-drawn era cloudship mentioned.

prahaboheme    672

Lynx snares $3.2M in federal grants

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-lynx-federal-grants-20111018,0,4428963.story

Lynx, which serves Orange, Seminole and Osceola counties, plans to spend $2 million on a new depot in downtown Kissimmee and $1.2 million studying ways to connect SunRail passengers from downtown Orlando to Ocoee to the west and the University of Central Florida to the east.

The Kissimmee center will feature eight bus bays and 16 shelters for waiting passengers. Other enhancements include sidewalks, information kiosks, landscaping, lighting, passenger seating and bike racks. Construction could begin within a year.

klstorey    42

This $1.2 million for Hwy 50 studies will likely propose either Bus dedicated lanes or some form of light-rail (or gondolas but unfortunately I think that ship has sailed). Either way I'm glad to see that this long bottleneck in the transit system is finally be addressed.

smileguy    334

LYNX has launched a new website and now has their bus routes integrated into Google Maps/Google Transit.

http://www.golynx.com

They also launched a mobile version of the website (some of the HTML schedules are still inaccurate, though.)

The Google integration will help increase ridership in new demographics. For those with cars and other modes of transportation who would like to ride, I think route planning can be a barrier to entry to riding public transportation. Now having it on their cell phone in the same format - google maps - they use for other directions and navigation will make it easier to ride. The express routes up 17-92, etc. should broaden this appeal to those who don't live as close to downtown.

DeepEyez    1

They also launched a mobile version of the website (some of the HTML schedules are still inaccurate, though.)

The Google integration will help increase ridership in new demographics. For those with cars and other modes of transportation who would like to ride, I think route planning can be a barrier to entry to riding public transportation. Now having it on their cell phone in the same format - google maps - they use for other directions and navigation will make it easier to ride. The express routes up 17-92, etc. should broaden this appeal to those who don't live as close to downtown.

It looks like that new CEO hire for Lynx is already making improvements.

Jernigan    1002

Megabus joins RedCoachUSA as intercity bus providers.

The nice thing about Megabus (aside from their current promotional $1 fares, is their Orlando stop is at the Crowne Plaza downtown while RedCoachUSA is near the off-site car rental offices near the Orlando International Airport.

smileguy    334

In the December LYNX service changes, link 30, which currently runs from UCF to Winter Garden Village, mostly along Colonial, will be broken into 2 routes - one east of Downtown and the other west of Downtown.

The interesting part is that from the lynx station to Semoran in the east and to Hiawassee to the West, the routes will run on the "fast link" model they have been using on a few major routes. It is modified express service, so - going east - there will only be stops at Fashion Square and 436 - then it will pick up regular service.

Jernigan    1002

The LYMMO study group will be holding public meetings to seek community input for the final recommendation of LYMMO’s North/South Corridor alignments. Updates on the East/West and Parramore bus rapid transit (BRT) projects also will be presented.

North Corridors

Thursday, Jan. 26

6-6:30 p.m. (Open House)

6:30-8 p.m. (Presentation and Discussion)

The Mennello Museum of American Art

900 E. Princeton Street, Orlando, Fla. 32803

South Corridors

Monday, Jan. 30

6-6:30 p.m. (Open House)

6:30-8 p.m. (Presentation and Discussion)

Mayor William Beardall Senior Center

800 South Delaney Avenue, Orlando, Fla. 32801, Ballroom, 2nd Floor

Jernigan    1002

Orlando Sentinel - Chain Gang Blog

Clearing and paving has begun on a 1.2-mile segment of the Orlando Urban Trail from Magnolia Avenue mostly along the old Dinky Line rail bed to Lake Formosa, where the trail already circles the lake and heads north along Mills Avenue to Winter Park...

smileguy    334

This is great, especially as a cyclist in the area. I know it is supposed to come down the back-side of Steel House, and I would imagine it follows the Railroad tracks from Magnolia. Any idea where it officially goes from there? I know there is supposed to be integration into Creative Village, but I would love to see it continue down the track and connect up with Gertrude's walk, bringing it all the way down to South St and the Church St. SunRail station.

Jernigan    1002

Gertrude's walk/LYNX Orlando Trail is out for bid for design/build up to Amelia and design up to Colonial. That's your connection!

smileguy    334

From today's OBJ.

Lake Nona’s developer is moving ahead quietly on plans for a transit hub to connect future transportation systems into Central Florida’s $1.3 billion commuter rail, SunRail.

Lake Nona Property Holdings LLC expects to get Orlando City Council approval on Feb. 27 to set aside a 166.2-acre site on Lake Nona Boulevard south of State Road 417 for a “village center/urban transit center.” Documents submitted to the city showed the developer also wants to have buildings of up to 10 stories in the transit center, but no site-specific plans have been submitted to the city.

29-Nona-map.jpg?v=1

The agenda for the 2/27 meeting is not yet on the City Clerk's website, but I will keep checking every couple of days to see what else I can find out.

Edited by smileguy

Jernigan    1002

Not SunRail. This article specifically calls it light rail and nothing else despite the previous reports of the private company wanting to put up a maglev. I thought FDOT was studying that proposal - but maybe something changed.

Jernigan    1002

I was tempted to put this in the High Speed Rail thread because of the route, but it's not HSR at all. Three hours is definitely good though. Shorter than driving, about the same as the airport because of security and everything, and almost half the time as taking Amtrak because of the direct route.

Jernigan    1002

This graphic implies it would be the airport. But it didn't specifically say, in fact the article mentions SunRail - but that might be an assumption that SunRail will reach the airport by then...

All-Aboard-Florida-Infographic.jpg

gibby    198

I would assume that this would tie into the Sunrail Sand Lake Road station but that is just my guess/preference. Also, Amtrak is currently a little less than 5 hours and has an equally direct route but the top speeds are much less than this proposed FEC service and there is only one direct train per day in each direction.

alex    426

Do you think they'll have a Cocoa Beach stop? I don't see one. It would make sense, though, with the Amtrak/FEC going from Jacksonville to Miami starting around the same time.

Fecmap.png

All-Aboard-Florida-Infographic.jpg