Orlando Transit

Jernigan

• 2 weeks later...

LYNX has approved an agreement with Red Coach USA and Megabus - two intercity "luxury" bus lines - to use the Kiss-And-Ride lane on Garland as a dropoff/pickup location. This is pretty great as the previous locations were the Airport (Red Coach) and the Crowne Plaza on the other side of I-4 (Megabus).

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2012/05/29/lynx-approves-agreements-with.html

Yeah, I was thinking that could be the reason but I'm sure there are ways around that. Baggage could be another issue but I still think it's silly to not have everything integrated. Pretty much every bus line connects through LCS. There is one bus line that wanders out the the current Amtrak station. It just seems amateur to me. The LCS is very new.

Yeah, I was thinking that could be the reason but I'm sure there are ways around that. Baggage could be another issue but I still think it's silly to not have everything integrated. Pretty much every bus line connects through LCS. There is one bus line that wanders out the the current Amtrak station. It just seems amateur to me. The LCS is very new.

LCS isn't new. it's been here for a while. I Dont know what you mean by NEW! Anyhow I've been wondering this for years. Amtract Could Certainly use the land across the street. But hopefully the area around the current station can be revamped due to ORMC. Still Once I get off the train I would love to have other connexctions right there. Same with greyhound. I don't understand Orlando. There is enough Space Downtown.

Let's not forget that one can also leave Amtrak at Winter Park and there are a number of Lynx routes going through that area. But, and most importantly, what's so important is that the Sligh Amtrak station (originally the Atlantic Coast Line Depot for Orlando) is one of the precious few landmarks we have, and something even more rare - a landmark still being used for its original purpose! In a region where so many complain (albeit erroneously) that we have no history, this is huge. Interestingly, "Orlando Station has the highest Amtrak ridership in the state, with the exception of the Auto Train depot located in nearby Sanford. (Wiki) " I think it's safe to say folks are figuring out ways to get around.

But wait, there's more! Today's OBJ announces:

City starts talks on revamp of Amtrak station

http://www.bizjourna...-of-amtrak.html

Edited by spenser1058

I don't know how I forgot this - but in addition to SunRail - in two years or so you'll also be able to catch the LYMMO! With 10-15 minute headways and pretty decent hours, that's as good as a connection as one can hope for in just about any major US city. Heck, I don't even know where Amtrak pulls into in many cities I've visited since I've flown in and connected to their local rail. I know that it is NOT close to Savannah's historic downtown which is too bad because that would be a perfect trip to take via Amtrak.

Let's not forget that one can also leave Amtrak at Winter Park and there are a number of Lynx routes going through that area. But, and most importantly, what's so important is that the Sligh Amtrak station (originally the Atlantic Coast Line Depot for Orlando) is one of the precious few landmarks we have, and something even more rare - a landmark still being used for its original purpose! In a region where so many complain (albeit erroneously) that we have no history, this is huge. Interestingly, "Orlando Station has the highest Amtrak ridership in the state, with the exception of the Auto Train depot located in nearby Sanford. (Wiki) " I think it's safe to say folks are figuring out ways to get around.

But wait, there's more! Today's OBJ announces:

City starts talks on revamp of Amtrak station

http://www.bizjourna...-of-amtrak.html

Of all the stations this is the worst. The station looks hideous and outdated. It needs to be torn down and replaced.

Amtrak station is in a fairly decent, historic terminal. We don't get that too often around Central Florida. No use in tearing down what little history we can claim.

Orlando_Amtrak_Station_Platform.JPG

Thanks, praha, it's so true. It is indeed a tragedy they allowed the station to get in that kind of shape but as OBJ reported yesterday, there's now a plan afoot to fix that.

"The station looks hideous and outdated. It needs to be torn down and replaced. "

In the late '70s and early '80s, much of the Art Deco District in Miami Beach was in worse repair than the Sligh Amtrak station is now. I guess, based on this thinking, South Beach should have been leveled and replaced with Days Inns.

Just to be clear, I'm certainly not suggesting that the Sligh station be abandoned or torn down (of course). It's probably my favorite building in town. I literally go there occasionally just to visit. However, since it will be an active Sunrail station soon (I certainly hope), it would continue to be utilized even if Amtrak is relocated to LCS where bus connections will be more convenient.

Amtrak station is in a fairly decent, historic terminal. We don't get that too often around Central Florida. No use in tearing down what little history we can claim.

Orlando_Amtrak_Station_Platform.JPG

Fairly Decent?

Kissimmee's station is in much better shape then this one, so are the one's in St. Pete and Tampa. Nothing decent here.

Thanks, praha, it's so true. It is indeed a tragedy they allowed the station to get in that kind of shape but as OBJ reported yesterday, there's now a plan afoot to fix that.

"The station looks hideous and outdated. It needs to be torn down and replaced. "

In the late '70s and early '80s, much of the Art Deco District in Miami Beach was in worse repair than the Sligh Amtrak station is now. I guess, based on this thinking, South Beach should have been leveled and replaced with Days Inns.

I don't know if your trying to take a shot at what I said, but if that's what you intend to do with your subliminal posts, we can do that. :ph34r:

Not only that, I wasn't around in the 70's or 80's. From everything I've known of Orlando, Orlando has been modern. Modern Stations would be a bit more ideal for this area. Talk about trying to make an area better yet you want to keep this piece of crap?No No No Why? I'm

all for preserving History I'm young don't get me wrong but At LEAST keep it up, upgrades, allow the paint scheme and everything to fit with it's surroundings. Orlando Health has modernized that entire block. I just would love to see a new painting, landscaping to help the station fit into the area around it. That station doesn't appear to be involved.

You see how the Old Church Street station compliments 55 west (Or Vice Versa since Church street was there first)? Anyway it all blends in and fits. The Old Hilton Proposal was more vintage and would have went right into that area even with the modern blend surrounding it.

Nobody understands the point I'm trying to make but it's okay. It's not my call.

ThatFloridaDudeJ....just for kicks....how old are you?

I am 21.

Just to be clear, I'm certainly not suggesting that the Sligh station be abandoned or torn down (of course). It's probably my favorite building in town. I literally go there occasionally just to visit. However, since it will be an active Sunrail station soon (I certainly hope), it would continue to be utilized even if Amtrak is relocated to LCS where bus connections will be more convenient.

Crazy thing, the actual Amtrak station will not be used for SunRail. SunRail will be just north of the Amtrak actual station. SunRail did not want to be on the hook to any repairs to come wit Amtrak station itself due to it's outdated unsafe standing.

Just as I said to that one poster, I'd love to see it remodeled or something, even incoorporated like Amtrak stations with Tri-Rail but that is not their plans. They are not going to do it. I like utalizing older buildings into something, but if they are going to let it sit there and not give it some kind of revamping then it needs to be replaced. otherwise it gets dangerous and unsafe and thats when the "Thinking" as that one guy says needs to get caught up into actuality of having buildings, stations, and other public usage that are up to par and regulations of the new era of building codes.

• 2 weeks later...

Some cliffs from the Orange County meeting today where Maglev was presented...

- OIA Connector study (FDOT) is a rehash of a 2005 study - now includes Medical City

- American Maglev wants to partner with LYNX to ensure compatible fare card for LYNX, maglev, SunRail

- 60 year-one jobs; 600 at peak

- American Maglev will be secured by bond, if it fails, no burden to taxpayers

- Track would run above Sand Lake or Beachline

- Maglev stations would be 10,000 sf

- Passes would cost 80-100 a month (For comparison, A LYNX reg pass is 50, express bus is 70 and no word on SunRail compatibility would be key here.)

• 3 months later...

Went to this workshop. E/W will have a "groundbreaking" on November 14th . There will not be a charge to ride LYMMO even with this expansion.

I also saw the map that is on that flyer - except with the legend which always helps...

The checkered lines along the route are dedicated bus lanes. The solid lines are buses mixed with traffic and the red dashed line is bus lanes that are being created through a separate City streetscape project and not as part of the E/W design and build project.

Red balls are new LYMMO stops and pink square are new LYMMO stations (with the shelter and kiosks). The orange circle at Church & Magnolia is an existing LYMMO stop nad the orange square is under I-4 and will be a connection to the Parramore BRT. Not a perfect map (ie no existing station indicator for Central and Magnolia) but it gives a good idea of this project. Most of the dedicated bus lanes will be on the Parramore side of I-4.

Other notes: They will have a fully integrated ITS up and running by then and the LYMMO system will get signal prioritization - something that isn't the case now. This means that the green lights will stay green if LYMMO is getting close or red lights will be a little shorter if LYMMO is approaching. There will be some exceptions to maintain the integrity of the signalized street grid.

The kiosks will be working and should be able to display minutes until the next LYMMO as well as SunRail trains. The rendering of the kiosk they had actually said "SunRail: 6 minutes US 441: 12 minutes" - a nod to the Orange Blossom Express.