Orlando Transit

Jernigan

The Central Florida Train Museum (?) is located in Winter Garden and it's pretty neat if you're into trains.  They have a lot of old maps and some history on the construction of the two lines that used to run through downtown.  There is a second Winter Garden museum that I have not checked out which actually has an old train I believe.

The Winter Garden Heritage Foundation received TDT Facilities money in 2013 from the county toward a new museum and education center on Plant street. I'm not sure of the status of the project, but I think it will go a long way to improve their visibility and display their collection.

The OBX project would be a natural fit for Orlando's second commuter rail line.

Lake County and Apopka certainly have the commuters to support this.

Also, would the DT Orlando station be CSS or could a short spur be put in to LCS? Would be neat to see all those trains and busses coming and going.

The OBX project would be a natural fit for Orlando's second commuter rail line.

Lake County and Apopka certainly have the commuters to support this.

Also, would the DT Orlando station be CSS or could a short spur be put in to LCS? Would be neat to see all those trains and busses coming and going.

Just looked on Google Earth, holy Creative Village Batman, that would be a great terminus for OBX, thus not needing to interact with the same tracks as SunRail and Amtrak.

Just looked on Google Earth, holy Creative Village Batman, that would be a great terminus for OBX, thus not needing to interact with the same tracks as SunRail and Amtrak.

Connecting (I'm assuming via tunnel, bridge, walkway, path, moving walkway, SOMETHING) is pretty essential to this thing working on both ends. 

Mass transit in other cities has shown that if you have to use a bus or taxi to change lines, this is a needless handcuff that cause one or both lines to suffer. 

To connect to LCS, I see 3 options:  1) use the existing tracks, curve over Robinson, switch the tracks and back up to LCS and drop off the passengers at the LCS sunrail station.  2) Curve the tracks north at Robinson to LCS (but this would stop the Ace Diner Plan and tear down the H2O Church).  3) Near Paramore street diagonal the tracks to Livingston and bring the tracks under I4 in the current Lymmo lane and put another train platform on the South side of LCS.

• 3 months later...

Megabus is moving to 436 just north of 50 (in the shadow of that overpass).

The current location is bad but this one is even worse. I can understand their reasons why but what a terrible place in general.

http://m.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2014/10/20/megabus-com-moving-orlando-arrival-departure.html

• Like 1

There was a recent article slamming the downtown location for a lack of amenities.

What gets me is that Megabus will undoubtedly be spending money on this terrible location. That money could have been better spent to partner with UCF or SunRail for a shared use spot. While neither may offer Megabus provided amenities, both would be much better waiting locations than the lot that is currently being used. Not too mention walkability and LYNX connectivity.

^^

Megabus- what a horrible decision.  for that matter they should've just leased space near Festival Bay on I-Drive, but, 436 & 50?  wow.  simply...wow.  they must not be familiar with the area.

it might have made a good marriage with Orlando Fashion Square.

Edited by jrs2

• 2 weeks later...

^^

Megabus- what a horrible decision.  for that matter they should've just leased space near Festival Bay on I-Drive, but, 436 & 50?  wow.  simply...wow.  they must not be familiar with the area.

it might have made a good marriage with Orlando Fashion Square.

Has anyone seen buses try to pull into that lot?  Seems like the buses are struggling to make the turn.  It causes a sizable backup for the people turning left from 436 onto Colonial.

I heard that the 441 study (Orange Blossom Express related) is going to recommend express bus only and not rail.

Thats a bit disappointing, didn't they already do the rail improvements necessary to support a commuter rail on the tracks? And have a plan to take some old trains from Tri-Rail or something?

Edited by aent

Thats a bit disappointing, didn't they already do the rail improvements necessary to support a commuter rail on the tracks? And have a plan to take some old trains from Tri-Rail or something?

IIRC Mica wanted the tri-rail trains were going to be used to expand Sunrail service frequency at the end of the year.  I can tell you the OBE corridor more than likely isn't wide enough to be doubletracked and having an effective PTC is probably not likely without double tracking some portion of the project.

• 1 month later...

Bikeshare update:

Cyclehop pulled permits with the city for bike racks at 4 locations - 100 W Anderson (OUC?), 82 E Livingston at the Courthouse and Skyhouse area, 135 W Central near the Fairwinds Building and 431 E Central (Post Parkside).

Their city contract does require to open by years end...

• 2 months later...

In the Uptown thread I shared that LYNX will be expanding the LYMMO north to Marks in April. With the quick turnaround, I assume these will not be dedicated lanes.

For further discussion here, I wanted to get thoughts on LYMMO. It's recently expanded and it will be expanding soon with the Lime like and eventual northern and southern extensions from College Park to SoDo. Perhaps lost in that excitement is the question on is it being done right.

One consideration for the country's first BRT system - a system should be at least 50% dedicated lanes to keep the BRT designation. I understood they were tip-toeing that line with the Grapefruit addition and wonder if the Marks Ave extension would put it under the threshold.

Wish we had an organized advocacy group for better transit in Orlando.

For further discussion here, I wanted to get thoughts on LYMMO. It's recently expanded and it will be expanding soon with the Lime like and eventual northern and southern extensions from College Park to SoDo. Perhaps lost in that excitement is the question on is it being done right.

I think that's a great question.  One of the biggest complaints for the Atlanta streetcar has been that it spends a lot of time sitting in traffic, causing locals to use it less for things like commuting to work or school.  With dedicated lanes, that's obviously not the case. Since the southern and way-northern expansion probably won't have dedicated lanes, I hope they take this opportunity to make at least this portion a true BRT.

I've never encountered a lot of traffic on those parts of Orange and Magnolia. Considering there are three lanes going north and up to four lanes going south, it shouldn't be that hard to create a dedicated bus loop.  (I wonder if it would go against traffic like in some parts of the existing lines?)

• 1 month later...

Nope. Sticks in the ground with some shelters to follow. Steel House has an bus bay already in place. Not sure if this means there won't even ever be dedicated lanes - but it was definitely a rush job by the City to serve these new residential projects with transit and Bikeshare.