Orlando Transit

Jernigan

I mean, it all depends on who/what you're trying to service.  A stop south of Michigan isn't going to attract any more riders from SoDo than the current one at ORMC does.  Might you get more from an Edgewood/Pineloch area?  Possibly.  But how many of those are commuters/taking cars off the streets?  I don't have numbers, but based simply on the design of most of those neighborhoods, you're at best creating a new intermediary park and ride.

But yes, a Lymmo route with some sort of dedicated lanes would be super beneficial.  I've said before that I'd love to take a bus as opposed to my 2-3 ubers downtown a week.  But unless I go find a giant pack of single use fare cards, it's just not practical for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

For now, dockless seems to be the future. Juice is calling it quits - Lime will be our bike share option going forward:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-ne-juice-ride-sharing-orlando-20190318-story.html

From the Sentinel 

Juice is returning with dockless bikes called Hopr or something like that 

• Like 1

It'd be nice if those Juice locations became "hubs" for the Lime bikes, somewhere you can usually always find a bike. You could still use the Lime bikes as they are currently, but they could offer half off the $1 unlock fee if you returned it to one of the specified locations. 

If I'm looking for two Lime Bikes there's 50% chance there will be two close by, just in opposite directions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, NJBlake said:

Juice is returning with dockless bikes called Hopr or something like that 

I saw that was their plan but I wonder if it will really happen - there’s no date or much info. I was reminded of the signs outside restaurants that say “closed for remodeling” and never come back.

I could definitely be wrong but I’ m not holding my breath. Juice just seemed to fade into insignificance once Lime arrived- is there enough business for two? What will make one preferable over the other?

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

is there enough business for two? What will make one preferable over the other?

I only see it working if they expand in other areas that don't yet have Lime Bikes. Although which areas would be successful that don't already have them? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

But unless I go find a giant pack of single use fare cards, it's just not practical for me.

Do you mean if you didn’t have to carry cash or do you mean if you found free bus passes?   If it’s the former, LYNX paw pass app (pay with phone) is great 

Jump is supposedly coming in too.  I've talked to coworkers and its basically this:  If they're cheaper or faster than Lime, we'll use that instead.  

Personally as someone who's dealt with the way they're handling the people who charge their bikes, I'm happy to see some competition.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can we just get some with shocks on them.  My poor butt on the brick streets.

11 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Do you mean if you didn’t have to carry cash or do you mean if you found free bus passes?   If it’s the former, LYNX paw pass app (pay with phone) is great 

I... did not know that was a thing

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

OC Mayor Jerry Demings plans to announce his proposal for local transit within 4-6 weeks.

A vote on a dedicated funding source for Lynx, SunRail or both will likely come in November, 2020 (a wise move - holding off until the presidential election makes it more likely casual voters who tend to be younger and more progressive will turn out).

It’s so good to see this after decades of intransigence by previous administrations in the Brick Bunker.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange/os-ne-dyer-demings-summit20190329-story.html

From the Sentinel 

Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer also said he plans to support the move.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 4

54 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

All aboard, America... All aboard Amtrak. Taking the train from Orlando’s historic mission-style station to Penn Station in NYC:

https://amp.businessinsider.com/amtrak-train-ride-orlando-nyc-23-hours-review-2019-4

From Business Insider

I've made that trip before.

Quite enjoyed it.

Brought my own food and made sure I didn't have a seat mate so when it came time to sleep, I laid down across both seats and slept like a log. 

Back then the round trip cost about as much as the author of the article paid for one way.

• Like 1

I wonder how many of our younger posters have no clue what a juggernaut Schwinn once was in the bike business back in the Captain Kangaroo and Boys' Life era. A visit to the Schwinn Cyclery on Mills and then to check out the train sets at Colonial Photo and Hobby (back then it hadn't yet taken over the deco Publix)  was a huge adventure when I was a young pup.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1