Orlando Transit

Jernigan

1 hour ago, ChiDev said:

In other cities the scooters are oft abused.  LA has a insta channel called "Homeless vs Bird" that shows them being thrown into the ocean/used as shelter structure/ tossed under moving traffic.  Hope they don't wind up in Lake Eola.

LA is also a metro of 13 million people. It will get both the good and the bad of everything.  LA hasn't stopped churning because of scooters -- in fact I would say the people who live there have embraced the idea quickly.

14 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

LA is also a metro of 13 million people. It will get both the good and the bad of everything.  LA hasn't stopped churning because of scooters -- in fact I would say the people who live there have embraced the idea quickly.

I wasn't commenting on city productivity, or the effectiveness of scooters, more the fact that they tend to be trashed/thrown into bodies of water.  It would be VERY BAD if these were thrown into Lake Eola with their LI Ion batteries.

• 4 weeks later...

In very important transit news, Amtrak has announced it’s switching from Pepsi to Coke. This should increase Amtrak popularity significantly!

Just imagine if Joe “Acela ” Biden somehow becomes pres, we’ll all be singing “All Aboard Amtrak”! Well, maybe not, but a boy can dream...

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

Have you driven a Ford... lately?

You will be if you rent a scooter at UCF from Spin, a division of the automaker.

Apparently, because a lot of mayhem has been involved with on campus scooters at schools like the Iniversity of Arizona, the SGA has been working diligently on safety.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-ne-ucf-scooters-announcement-20191202-x42doosbajb6dn3l2xhivt34gu-story.html

From the Sentinel 

Let the scooter apocalypse begin: 

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange-county/os-ne-orlando-scooters-pass-20191209-mdrdhf2a4ja63i7ccrtdzfe5eq-story.html

Scooters are coming to Orlando.

After months of considerations, city commissioners Monday unanimously approved a proposal allowing electric scooters to zip around Orlando streets. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Yeah Lime app wouldn't let me check in scooters this morning.

Wheels app still doesn't list Orlando for some reason.

Met the Spin guys from Miami running things here. For a company owned by Ford its weird they have a sketchy ass rental van with marker writing on it.

Haha my coworker said that about Spin this morning.  I noticed that about wheels but since they need to charge at the warehouse every night, its not worth for me.  Bird OTOH.....

Wheels seems like it could outlast the others.  20mph is a huge advantage when you pay by the minute.  The safety features and some other initiatives they have are pretty legit and while Orlando is currently letting anyone play ball, these are the things that could land them exclusive dealings with municipalities or transit agencies.

I went out again tonight to harvest Limes but the app update bugged out my ability to harvest unfortunately.  I hope the Birds start to die.  Walking around downtown you can tell between Spin/Lime/Bird this is not gonna be sustainable and someone's gotta fold or the City is gonna pull the plug on this.

I have walked around and checked all of them out. Lime, Bird, Spin, HOPR and Lynx are pretty much all standard clones of the platform style with battery underneath the deck.  All of these are limited to 10 MPH governor. They probably have slightly different specs and pricing/range, but haven't done the homework. Just from looking at the scooters themselves, Lynx and Lime looked better than the other brands to me.   Some of these will likely pull out eventually. I would think it would be a factor of cost and availability since they are not all that differentiated on speed and function. 

Wheels is entirely different and is more of a bike/scooter hybrid with a seat.  They are allowed to go 20 mph and would offer a more comfortable ride with the seat and foot pegs.  Looks like an overall better option if price is not too much different. 

20200213_115231_1581615279754.jpg

20200213_115239_1581615280159.jpg

20200213_115248_1581615280253.jpg

• Thanks 1