Jernigan

Orlando Transit

Four scooters enter, one scooter stays!

Welcome to the Thunderdome!

• Haha 1

Has anyone done a comparison review of the 5 companies yet? I wonder how they all compare in cost, speed and availability.

I have walked around and checked all of them out. Lime, Bird, Spin, HOPR and Lynx are pretty much all standard clones of the platform style with battery underneath the deck.  All of these are limited to 10 MPH governor. They probably have slightly different specs and pricing/range, but haven't done the homework. Just from looking at the scooters themselves, Lynx and Lime looked better than the other brands to me.   Some of these will likely pull out eventually. I would think it would be a factor of cost and availability since they are not all that differentiated on speed and function. 

Wheels is entirely different and is more of a bike/scooter hybrid with a seat.  They are allowed to go 20 mph and would offer a more comfortable ride with the seat and foot pegs.  Looks like an overall better option if price is not too much different. 

20200213_115231_1581615279754.jpg

20200213_115239_1581615280159.jpg

20200213_115248_1581615280253.jpg

• Thanks 1

The Limes are 3rd gen scooters and have a nice LCD display on them that gives you battery and scooter info.  They are heavy AF though.   The Birds are lighter, but in my experience, they're more finnicky.  I haven't had experience with the rest.

• Like 2

Yeah, Lime had more features definitely. Lynx looked overall like a better build with larger tires and front shock absorbers to cushion the ride.  

Wheels touts being safer with a lower center of gravity and a new model that comes with a helmet.   But the bike looks low - as in might not  see you 

• Like 1

Is there local ordinance limiting these things to 10mph? That’s in the range where it’s a menace on the sidewalk but way too slow to ride on the road. 

I believe the city set the speed limit on the conventional scooters.

The higher speed of the wheels is because it's intended to be used in a bike lane and not on the sidewalk.  Thus the warning saying not to use it on the sidewalk.

2 hours ago, sethM said:

Is there local ordinance limiting these things to 10mph? That’s in the range where it’s a menace on the sidewalk but way too slow to ride on the road. 

I took a Spin for spin on Monday at it seemed to reach 11mph. That's 10% faster than the competition!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Jerry95 said:

I took a Spin for spin on Monday at it seemed to reach 11mph. That's 10% faster than the competition!

source.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

What could be better for our UPers? Transit and BEER!

https://bungalower.com/2020/02/18/alert-theres-a-bus-loop-that-connects-local-breweries/

From Bungalower 

I've seen it come to breweries I've been sitting in.  It was like a tornado of cow turds flew into the place.  It wasn't fun to experience from my side, but it looked great from theirs.

• Like 1

Bird is one of the "original" scooter companies, and as a brand loyal person, I tend to try to use them whenever possible.  Lime is their biggest competitor in the grand scheme.  I'm not sure why you think someone will get pushed out (beyond standard capitalism, and with each company limited to 200, there's not actually free market forces happening).  Most cities have 3-5 companies.  You just have all the apps on your phone.

The 10 mph is definitely an issue.  I think it needs bumped to 12 and that would be a reasonable compromise as opposed to the 15 in other cities that have tons of bike lanes and side streets.