Orlando Transit

Jernigan

• 3 weeks later...

"The extension of the program will also carry some updates like asking companies to collect the devices at the end of every day to redistribute them around town." 

Well that's gonna be interesting.  That's where most of the money is made on these things IMO.  I can see them scale back the number of Vendors.  Bird will be out IMO.  I suspect Lime is prepared should they not extend the pilot.  Last time I was by there, they had new dockless bikes ready to get on the road.  I'm pretty sure the old green bikes went to the recycler.

• Like 1

As a 20-something i should be the target audience for these...but I can’t stand them. Every day there’s one somewhere in my parking garage, strewn across the sidewalk, or blocking an ADA ramp at an intersection. 

They’re a novelty not a transportation solution.

Edited by Jerry95
  • Like 2

So as someone who charges these as a side hustle I'll agree with you.  The problem is this works in theory.  In practice these are treated like people treat public restrooms and there's too many companies involved.  The scooter companies have specific rules on where I can drop them off how I'm supposed to stage them.  Which means all the ones laying across the sidewalk are because someone riding them didn't park it properly.  Or its just vandalism.   I loaded one in my car to be charged, and some idiot walks by and his friend records him running and kicking them so they domino into each other and onto the floor.  The owner of Motorworks brewing got annoyed at me because I was putting one brand of scooters in a spot (which I was told by the app was where it needed to be) and he was upset because there were already 8 other scooters from various other brands on that corner.  I told him I understood and showed him the app where it was telling me to drop them off and he told me he was gonna throw them into the road when I left.  I told him he was free to do what he wanted, but recommended he didn't do that. 

Edited by codypet

17 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Patty won't even put her foot down about the absolute f*kery going on in her own district. People habitually ride scooters and bikes around the inner pedestrian path at Lake Eola (even though the companies promised they would put a GPS fence around the park), people ride scooters right into traffic lanes - sometimes even into oncoming traffic, on some nights Rosalind Ave turns into a scooter track with all kinds of riff raff hanging out, bikers/scooters constantly ring the bell when coming up behind pedestrians walking on the sidewalk for them to move out of the way, etc. Scooters/bikes have really thrown a wrench into who really has the right of way on sidewalks now. Surprised no lawsuits have sprung up yet. Winter Park even mentioned downtown looking like a mess when they made their decision in banning scooters.

The people who pick up the scooters are annoying too. Some of them will park their vehicles in the middle of the street blocking traffic just so that they can load/unload scooters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nite owℓ said:

Patty won't even put her foot down about the absolute f*kery going on in her own district. People habitually ride scooters and bikes around the inner pedestrian path at Lake Eola (even though the companies promised they would put a GPS fence around the park), people ride scooters right into traffic lanes - sometimes even into oncoming traffic, on some nights Rosalind Ave turns into a scooter track with all kinds of riff raff hanging out, bikers/scooters constantly ring the bell when coming up behind pedestrians walking on the sidewalk for them to move out of the way, etc. Scooters/bikes have really thrown a wrench into who really has the right of way on sidewalks now. Surprised no lawsuits have sprung up yet. Winter Park even mentioned downtown looking like a mess when they made their decision in banning scooters.

The people who pick up the scooters are annoying too. Some of them will park their vehicles in the middle of the street blocking traffic just so that they can load/unload scooters.

It's a great idea that needs to be regulated. The city can't blame the companies for taking advantage of them. That is literally what companies do.

They said they would put up a fence. Was that a requirement? Is it being enforced?

1 hour ago, WAJAS said:

It's a great idea that needs to be regulated. The city can't blame the companies for taking advantage of them. That is literally what companies do.

They said they would put up a fence. Was that a requirement? Is it being enforced?

From what I’ve seen fences only create no parking zones, not no riding zones

7 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

The wheels scooters are the only ones that are allowed on the road, and they're not allowed on the sidewalk because of the speed regulator on them.  All the others are supposed to be on the sidewalk and regulated to 10 mph.  You're right about it being the wild wild west as far as people just behaving like idiots on them.  I see parents with their kids on them, 2 or 3 people riding them at the same time.  They get absolutely destroyed.  The lifespan of the scooters themselves has to be like 2-3 months before they're completely replaced.

Re: the pick up scooters guy.  I know who you're talking about.  My strategy has been to park in a normal spot and ride them back and forth to my car.  Two gentlemen who load the same brand I do have brought it upon themselves to get the freight passes and park wherever.   It makes it annoying when you're literally running up on a scooter only to have that pickup just block the street in front of you, scan it and run off.  IMO I wouldn't be too upset if the program wasn't renewed.

Edited by codypet

9 hours ago, WAJAS said:

Our city commissioner can raise points that have been brought to her attention by her constituents and hold the companies accountable. If companies want to renew, then follow the rules. I've documented numerous violations and when you report them - the infractions have no teeth because the companies are not being held accountable. The onus shouldn't be on people like me to report incidents... maybe the meter maids should take it on. Fine the companies. Allow illegally parked scooters/bikes to be impounded (other cities have already done this). People riding in areas they aren't supposed to be (Lake Eola, etc.) should have their accounts suspended or terminated. There are ways to enforce basic rules and the scooter/bike companies are getting off scot-free.

"Under city rules, scooters aren’t permitted to be staged by companies in historic neighborhoods and must have a percentage of their fleet located west of Interstate 4 downtown. The city has blocked off certain parts of town — like Lake Eola and other sensitive areas — from allowing scooters to ride." (https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange-county/os-ne-lime-scooters-orlando-20200121-vccqubjwjvfpxlja44j55xiji4-story.html)  I don't ride the damn things, but this is what downtown residents were told before the city allowed the companies to operate here.

3 hours ago, codypet said:

The wheels scooters are the only ones that are allowed on the road, and they're not allowed on the sidewalk because of the speed regulator on them.  All the others are supposed to be on the sidewalk and regulated to 10 mph.  You're right about it being the wild wild west as far as people just behaving like idiots on them.  I see parents with their kids on them, 2 or 3 people riding them at the same time.  They get absolutely destroyed.  The lifespan of the scooters themselves has to be like 2-3 months before they're completely replaced.

Re: the pick up scooters guy.  I know who you're talking about.  My strategy has been to park in a normal spot and ride them back and forth to my car.  Two gentlemen who load the same brand I do have brought it upon themselves to get the freight passes and park wherever.   It makes it annoying when you're literally running up on a scooter only to have that pickup just block the street in front of you, scan it and run off.  IMO I wouldn't be too upset if the program wasn't renewed.

I had no idea they weren't allowed on sidewalks... because everyone already rides them on sidewalks lol. So that explains why some people ride the scooters in the street, but it doesn't excuse people from riding them the wrong way down Rosalind into oncoming traffic like, wtf are they thinking? There's definitely a lack of enforcement and both the city and OPD have turned a blind eye to any sort of enforcement.

I've seen more than one pick-up scooter guys block traffic... one drives a truck with a large trailer and the other drives a white SUV.

LOL I sound like an old fart. Oh well!

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

Our city commissioner can raise points that have been brought to her attention by her constituents and hold the companies accountable. If companies want to renew, then follow the rules. I've documented numerous violations and when you report them - the infractions have no teeth because the companies are not being held accountable. The onus shouldn't be on people like me to report incidents... maybe the meter maids should take it on. Fine the companies. Allow illegally parked scooters/bikes to be impounded (other cities have already done this). People riding in areas they aren't supposed to be (Lake Eola, etc.) should have their accounts suspended or terminated. There are ways to enforce basic rules and the scooter/bike companies are getting off scot-free.

"Under city rules, scooters aren’t permitted to be staged by companies in historic neighborhoods and must have a percentage of their fleet located west of Interstate 4 downtown. The city has blocked off certain parts of town — like Lake Eola and other sensitive areas — from allowing scooters to ride." (https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange-county/os-ne-lime-scooters-orlando-20200121-vccqubjwjvfpxlja44j55xiji4-story.html)  I don't ride the damn things, but this is what downtown residents were told before the city allowed the companies to operate here.

I had no idea they weren't allowed on sidewalks... because everyone already rides them on sidewalks lol. So that explains why some people ride the scooters in the street, but it doesn't excuse people from riding them the wrong way down Rosalind into oncoming traffic like, wtf are they thinking? There's definitely a lack of enforcement and both the city and OPD have turned a blind eye to any sort of enforcement.

I've seen more than one pick-up scooter guys block traffic... one drives a truck with a large trailer and the other drives a white SUV.

LOL I sound like an old fart. Oh well!

But don’t you worry - both Buddy and Patty will be overwhelmingly re-elected by the 9% of folks who turn out on Buddy’s next hand-picked Election Day because Buddy takes no responsibility for anything (rather like that fellow with the Orange hair...) Why should he? The chatters at Urban Planet have declared he’s Practically Perfect In Every Way!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

But don’t you worry - both Buddy and Patty will be overwhelmingly re-elected by the 9% of folks who turn out on Buddy’s next hand-picked Election Day because Buddy takes no responsibility for anything (rather like that fellow with the Orange hair...) Why should he? The chatters at Urban Planet have declared he’s Practically Perfect In Every Way!

Blame the voters. Citizens get the government they deserve. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jack said:

Blame the voters. Citizens get the government they deserve. 

I would be more wiling to blame citizens if the Mayoral election was held during Federal elections. Holding them in a year with no state or federal elections means turnout will be low and incumbents will almost always win. I'm tired of hearing Buddy's voice on the MCO APM too, believe me.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Naqiy90 said:

I would be more wiling to blame citizens if the Mayoral election was held during Federal elections. Holding them in a year with no state or federal elections means turnout will be low and incumbents will almost always win. I'm tired of hearing Buddy's voice on the MCO APM too, believe me.

Orlando elections have never been held in conjunction with Federal elections. This is typical of non-partisan elections. Orlando elections were being held in the spring of even years, but in 2015 the State Republicans moved their primary to spring of even years and our SOE asked the City to change their date. That is how we ended up with fall odd year elections. Also, despite what some posters here have said, the change has not really impacted the turnout. The last election before the change was spring of 2012 and it turned out 20k. The first election after the change was fall 2015 and it turned out 22k as did 2019.

18 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Orlando elections have never been held in conjunction with Federal elections. This is typical of non-partisan elections. Orlando elections were being held in the spring of even years, but in 2015 the State Republicans moved their primary to spring of even years and our SOE asked the City to change their date. That is how we ended up with fall odd year elections. Also, despite what some posters here have said, the change has not really impacted the turnout. The last election before the change was spring of 2012 and it turned out 20k. The first election after the change was fall 2015 and it turned out 22k as did 2019.

Actually, that’s a nice spin on it but not the reason why. Buddy wanted to move it away from the presidential primary that year because he feared more Republicans would turn out in a contested presidential primary than Democrats who just had Hillary and Bernie (Bernie wasn’t being taken seriously at that point, especially by Bloomberg Buddy).

That’s a little cheesy to try and choose your voters but we’ll give it a one time pass. But did he move it back in 2020 when there was plenty of Democratic interest? Nope. And the raw numbers neglect to note Orlando’s been growing right along and a single-digit turnout is nothing to cheer. Sorry, that dog won’t hunt.

When legislators gerrymander to pick their voters, it’s unacceptable. When a mayor in a local election does it, it’s even worse. But as usual anything Buddy does is simply wonderful because he’s Practically Perfect In Every Way, right?

Bottom line: if your turnout for municipal elections is already low, it’s malpractice to move it to a date where it will be even lower. And if we actually had contested elections where the challengers didn’t feel like the fix was in before they started, more people would run, we’d attract higher-quality candidates and more people would vote. Buddy wants none of that because he believes he’s doing a splendid job! And the developers who prop him up agree - what could be better?

Edited by spenser1058

3 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Actually, that’s a nice spin on it but not the reason why. Buddy wanted to move it away from the presidential primary that year because he feared more Republicans would turn out in a contested presidential primary than Democrats who just had Hillary and Bernie (Bernie wasn’t being taken seriously at that point, especially by Bloomberg Buddy).

That’s a little cheesy to try and choose your voters but we’ll give it a one time pass. But did he move it back in 2020 when there was plenty of Democratic interest? Nope. And the raw numbers neglect to note Orlando’s been growing right along and a single-digit turnout is nothing to cheer. Sorry, that dog won’t hunt.

When legislators gerrymander to pick their voters, it’s unacceptable. When a mayor in a local election does it, it’s even worse. But as usual anything Buddy does is simply wonderful because he’s Practically Perfect In Every Way, right?

Ok, so you spin to match your perception. The SOE requested the change. The Commission held several public meeting and voted on it twice. It passed with 1 dissent. Many of our other local mayor elections are held in fall odd years so we're not unusual in that sense  and, again, it has not impacted the turnout number. Sure 13% is terrible turnout (although not single digit), but 2012 was lower % as was '96 and '04.  The only votes that matter are the ones that are cast. Blame voters if they don't participate.

3 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Ok, so you spin to match your perception. The SOE requested the change. The Commission held several public meeting and voted on it twice. It passed with 1 dissent. Many of our other local mayor elections are held in fall odd years so we're not unusual in that sense  and, again, it has not impacted the turnout number. Sure 13% is terrible turnout (although not single digit), but 2012 was lower % as was '96 and '04.  The only votes that matter are the ones that are cast. Blame voters if they don't participate.

Me and most people I know ride them regularly.  We would ride them even MORE if they were more available.  I walk 2 miles downtown for lunch at least once a week.  I'd love to take a scooter sometimes, but there's rarely any around for me to pick up.  They used to place them at Page/Orange, but not recently.

There will always be bad apples.  We need to regulate them, not ruin the perfect solution to last-mile transit.  A few weeks ago I went from downtown to Ivanhoe.  If there weren't scooters available, there's no way I would have gone there.  That's another 2 miles away from my house when I had already walked 2.  I may love urbanism and walking, but I'm not about to walk 4 miles home.

Edited by AndyPok1
Wrote Pine when I meant Page
  • Like 2

The change Bill requested was to the March date, to get municipal elections out of the September primaries and November general. It was Buddy’s campaign that feared the March date. And nothing like blaming the voters when you do everything in your power to make it inconvenient. Of course, cities like Tampa and St. Pete, which amazingly enough have booming downtowns, have term limits to generate better candidates and more interest. Orlando, who has an entrenched 18-year mayor and no term limits, ensures token opposition, does little and gives us a meh downtown with zero vision. Who could ask for anything more? But you’re right: if this is the downtown and the community you want, then continue to support the status quo. Personally, I believe it’s time for us to do better.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Bottom line: if your turnout for municipal elections is already low, it’s malpractice to move it to a date where it will be even lower. And if we actually had contested elections where the challengers didn’t feel like the fix was in before they started, more people would run, we’d attract higher-quality candidates and more people would vote. Buddy wants none of that because he believes he’s doing a splendid job! And the developers who prop him up agree - what could be better?

At some point, voters need to take responsibility and participate in elections. I mean, we make it very easy to vote in Florida with absentee ballots and early voting. 

And this is not just an Orlando issue. Unless its a presidential election, voter turnout is very low. 

29 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Is that percentage eligible voters or registered voters? I ask because I see many people on TV using the terms interchangably. 

18 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

The change Bill requested was to the March date, to get municipal elections out of the September primaries and November general.

Incorrect. The Hood elections of 96 and 00 were held in the spring. SOE requested the change to the 16 election to move the local, non-partisan elections away from the highly charged Republican primaries.  

5 minutes ago, jack said:

Is that percentage eligible voters or registered voters? I ask because I see many people on TV using the terms interchangably. 

Registered.

28 minutes ago, jack said:

At some point, voters need to take responsibility and participate in elections. I mean, we make it very easy to vote in Florida with absentee ballots and early voting. 

And this is not just an Orlando issue. Unless its a presidential election, voter turnout is very low. 

But not 9% low - that’s the Orlando standard. I haven’t missed an election since 1984 but to the average voter, why turn out in an off year election when the best candidates won’t be running? Compare the choices in both Tampa’s election last year and St. Pete’s upcoming one. There were and are multiple viable candidates.

The last time that happened in Orlando was 2003 and that was a special election early in the year to replace Glenda when she went to Tallahassee. Bottom line: do you want a vibrant city again with citizens participating or are you happy with the status quo? This can be fixed but only if you decide Earl K. Wood and John Land are not the model we want for Orlando. Right now, that’s what we’ve got and it’s why we’ve fallen from the most vibrant major downtown in Florida to an also-ran.

Edited by spenser1058

10 minutes ago, Urban Mail Carrier said:

I like Buddy Dyer!!!He helped Orlando grow, however it is time to pass the baton forward. A new leader for the next phase of the city is needed. Fresh thinking and a  progressive vision is needed.

Bill Frederick, generally perceived as the most effective Orlando mayor in the modern era, has stated that 10 years is long enough. He stayed 12, and like every Orlando mayor in my lifetime, they all became ineffective towards the end of their time (Carl, 14 years; Bill, 12; Glenda, 10; Buddy, 18 and counting). In fact, one reason Mayor Bill seemed like such a colossus was because by Carl Langford’s 14th year, it seemed like the city was stuck in a permanent holding pattern. Sound familiar?

Let’s applaud Buddy’s successes while recognizing the energy of any administration is lost after a decade in office. All the things that didn’t happen due to differing priorities can be addressed by a different team (both Bill and Glenda regretted they couldn’t get a PAC done - with 18 years and still counting, it looks like Buddy will achieve that goal). It’s always better to leave with the voters wanting more than for them to just stop showing up because you and your team are a spent force.

• Like 3