Orlando Transit

Jernigan

LYNX has launched a new website and now has their bus routes integrated into Google Maps/Google Transit.

http://www.golynx.com

They also launched a mobile version of the website (some of the HTML schedules are still inaccurate, though.)

The Google integration will help increase ridership in new demographics. For those with cars and other modes of transportation who would like to ride, I think route planning can be a barrier to entry to riding public transportation. Now having it on their cell phone in the same format - google maps - they use for other directions and navigation will make it easier to ride. The express routes up 17-92, etc. should broaden this appeal to those who don't live as close to downtown.

• 2 weeks later...

They also launched a mobile version of the website (some of the HTML schedules are still inaccurate, though.)

The Google integration will help increase ridership in new demographics. For those with cars and other modes of transportation who would like to ride, I think route planning can be a barrier to entry to riding public transportation. Now having it on their cell phone in the same format - google maps - they use for other directions and navigation will make it easier to ride. The express routes up 17-92, etc. should broaden this appeal to those who don't live as close to downtown.

It looks like that new CEO hire for Lynx is already making improvements.

Megabus joins RedCoachUSA as intercity bus providers.

The nice thing about Megabus (aside from their current promotional $1 fares, is their Orlando stop is at the Crowne Plaza downtown while RedCoachUSA is near the off-site car rental offices near the Orlando International Airport.

• 2 weeks later...

In the December LYNX service changes, link 30, which currently runs from UCF to Winter Garden Village, mostly along Colonial, will be broken into 2 routes - one east of Downtown and the other west of Downtown.

The interesting part is that from the lynx station to Semoran in the east and to Hiawassee to the West, the routes will run on the "fast link" model they have been using on a few major routes. It is modified express service, so - going east - there will only be stops at Fashion Square and 436 - then it will pick up regular service.

• 1 month later...

The LYMMO study group will be holding public meetings to seek community input for the final recommendation of LYMMO’s North/South Corridor alignments. Updates on the East/West and Parramore bus rapid transit (BRT) projects also will be presented.

North Corridors

Thursday, Jan. 26

6-6:30 p.m. (Open House)

6:30-8 p.m. (Presentation and Discussion)

The Mennello Museum of American Art

900 E. Princeton Street, Orlando, Fla. 32803

South Corridors

Monday, Jan. 30

6-6:30 p.m. (Open House)

6:30-8 p.m. (Presentation and Discussion)

Mayor William Beardall Senior Center

800 South Delaney Avenue, Orlando, Fla. 32801, Ballroom, 2nd Floor

• 4 weeks later...

Orlando Sentinel - Chain Gang Blog

Clearing and paving has begun on a 1.2-mile segment of the Orlando Urban Trail from Magnolia Avenue mostly along the old Dinky Line rail bed to Lake Formosa, where the trail already circles the lake and heads north along Mills Avenue to Winter Park...

This is great, especially as a cyclist in the area. I know it is supposed to come down the back-side of Steel House, and I would imagine it follows the Railroad tracks from Magnolia. Any idea where it officially goes from there? I know there is supposed to be integration into Creative Village, but I would love to see it continue down the track and connect up with Gertrude's walk, bringing it all the way down to South St and the Church St. SunRail station.

From today's OBJ.

Lake Nona’s developer is moving ahead quietly on plans for a transit hub to connect future transportation systems into Central Florida’s $1.3 billion commuter rail, SunRail.

Lake Nona Property Holdings LLC expects to get Orlando City Council approval on Feb. 27 to set aside a 166.2-acre site on Lake Nona Boulevard south of State Road 417 for a “village center/urban transit center.” Documents submitted to the city showed the developer also wants to have buildings of up to 10 stories in the transit center, but no site-specific plans have been submitted to the city.

29-Nona-map.jpg?v=1

The agenda for the 2/27 meeting is not yet on the City Clerk's website, but I will keep checking every couple of days to see what else I can find out.

Edited by smileguy

• 1 month later...

I was tempted to put this in the High Speed Rail thread because of the route, but it's not HSR at all. Three hours is definitely good though. Shorter than driving, about the same as the airport because of security and everything, and almost half the time as taking Amtrak because of the direct route.

I would assume that this would tie into the Sunrail Sand Lake Road station but that is just my guess/preference. Also, Amtrak is currently a little less than 5 hours and has an equally direct route but the top speeds are much less than this proposed FEC service and there is only one direct train per day in each direction.

• 1 month later...

Updates on LYMMO:

Design/Build phase for the East and West corridors and the Parramore BRT. Looks to be up and running in Fall 2013.

Locally Preferred Alternatives for both the North and South corridors have been chosen. The City gave their approval, LYNX and Metroplan Orlando will be giving theirs in May and June and then the City and LYNX can start applying for federal funding. Still no timeline on implementation.

Pretty much a "we want it all" approach for the LYMMO N/S. North will touch College Park and Mills Park. South will go down Orange and then wrap around the Orlando Health campus touching the SunRail/Amtrak station and then continue south to touch SoDo and possibly loops around through the huge retail plaza at the southeast corner of Orange/Michigan (what a redevelopment opportunity!)

Full presentation:

http://lymmostudy.com/pdf/North_South_Corridors_LPA_04242012.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

With all the talk about SunRail, Maglev, Lymmo, OBX, etc. I tried to make a list of all the local mass transit projects I know of and where they currently are in the process of being realized.

I thought some of you might enjoy this refresher of local transit projects. So many things are starting to happen locally.

Transit Time-Mass Transit Proposals and Plans

Let me know if I missed anything or if anything new has been said about the projects.