Orlando Transit

Jernigan

55 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Just flew out of Miami and took the train. They have a top notch intermodal hub. All rental cars are there as well as the different trains.

yep.  I believe that Tri-Rail goes there as well...The MIC...

On 5/23/2022 at 3:17 PM, jrs2 said:

yep.  I believe that Tri-Rail goes there as well...The MIC...

Yes, it does. Infact, I've always found that even people who are super anti-train to use the train instead of parking at a major airport, they're often super receptive to it. It makes sense in every sense, airport parking is slow, expensive, and super annoying, with the luggage and all. Its a clear case where mass transit is just flat out better in most cases, and can definitely be a gateway to more transit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, aent said:

Yes, it does. Infact, I've always found that even people who are super anti-train to use the train instead of parking at a major airport, they're often super receptive to it. It makes sense in every sense, airport parking is slow, expensive, and super annoying, with the luggage and all. Its a clear case where mass transit is just flat out better in most cases, and can definitely be a gateway to more transit.

yeah, I remember when they were developing the MIC; I was on that Miami forum at SkyscraperCity tracking all of those projects.  I saw it as a major boost to MIA when compared to the likes of O'Hare, Hartsfield, MCO, LAG, JFK, etc.  Miami is, at the end of the day, Florida's principal city, so all good things that improve Miami improve the clout of the State.

I know they are trying to get a TriRail extension from a couple miles north of there to go due east and dock at the BL station downtown except there are some dimensions issues with the trains fitting properly (which is the same issue for OIA with Sunrail using the BL platforms).

At that time I never thought in a million years they would ever build a, or, the Intermodal Station at MCO.  A lot happened to Orlando Transit from the mid 2000's on.  Orlando will never become the principal city in Florida based on size; that is for sure.  But, it's positioned strategically to be an integral link in the BL rail network.  And because of that, it will just increase it's competitiveness in the business arena.

2 hours ago, jrs2 said:

Orlando will never become the principal city in Florida based on size; that is for sure.  But, it's positioned strategically to be an integral link in the BL rail network.  And because of that, it will just increase it's competitiveness in the business arena.

The Capitol should be moved from Tallahassee to Orlando but that's a topic for another day. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, cubanbread said:

The Capitol should be moved from Tallahassee to Orlando but that's a topic for another day. 

Gov. Claude Kirk tried but that dog wouldn’t hunt. He didn’t have a majority in the legislature. (Long before you know who Claude was a wealthy Yankee who moved to Palm Beach and acted outrageously. Floridians quickly tired of it and sent him packing after one term to be replaced by St. Reubin the Good).

Ironically, Ron DeSantis could likely pull it off (he’s from Central Florida albeit from the east coast) but he’s too busy running for president on the MAGA ticket and can’t be bothered.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
47 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Lynx’s main routes to get first electric buses
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/transportation/os-ne-lynx-electric-buses-funded-20220831-jeicx3sym5eg3dy22oed2dynrq-story.html

From The Sentinel 

It can take up to two years for delivery. Meanwhile, Lymmo is mostly electric now.

Hahaha The audio version of the article still works if you can click play before the paywall warning comes up.   The Sentinel can never get the paywall right.   

Interesting that the funding is coming partly from the VW cheating scandal.  Lynx gets $9mil for the buses

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, codypet said:

Hahaha The audio version of the article still works if you can click play before the paywall warning comes up.   The Sentinel can never get the paywall right.   

Interesting that the funding is coming partly from the VW cheating scandal.  Lynx gets $9mil for the buses

I did like that. Fahrvergnügen!

Edited by spenser1058

35 minutes ago, codypet said:

Vancouver has those electric buses with the overhead electric lines- or at least that's how they were powered ten years ago.

How are these supposed to function?

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

Vancouver has those electric buses with the overhead electric lines- or at least that's how they were powered ten years ago.

How are these supposed to function?

Lymmo already uses them.  They're your normal bring them back to the depot plug them in overnight type.  These according to the article will have more onboard batteries than the Lymmo ones.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2022 at 2:45 PM, codypet said:

Lymmo already uses them.  They're your normal bring them back to the depot plug them in overnight type.  These according to the article will have more onboard batteries than the Lymmo ones.

Lymmo busses have an end of line layover  in front of Union West in Creative Village.   I wonder if they couldn't outfit the busses/street with inductive chargers to top them up for 15-20 minutes at a time.

• Like 1

Go Big or Go Home - Leaders looking at $6 billion in transit improvements with help from the Biden administration and passage of OC’s sales tax:

Leaders put big ambitions for Central Florida passenger rail growth on paper
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/transportation/os-ne-sunshine-corridor-outlook-20220904-yvh2be7renaidiavi2njziuece-story.html

From The Sentinel 

While OC leaders and voters seem to be on the same page, there is some skepticism from folks like Seminole County Commissioner Bob Dallari.

• Thanks 1

On 9/4/2022 at 8:52 AM, spenser1058 said:

Go Big or Go Home - Leaders looking at $6 billion in transit improvements with help from the Biden administration and passage of OC’s sales tax:

Leaders put big ambitions for Central Florida passenger rail growth on paper
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/transportation/os-ne-sunshine-corridor-outlook-20220904-yvh2be7renaidiavi2njziuece-story.html

From The Sentinel 

While OC leaders and voters seem to be on the same page, there is some skepticism from folks like Seminole County Commissioner Bob Dallari.

Wonder what that article says.  Hmmm.

Details are in a “white paper” written by the Florida Department of Transportation and local stakeholders backing proposals to extend commuter rail to Orlando’s airport, bring both commuter and high-speed rail to the region’s convention and tourism district and push high-speed rail service on to Tampa.

The thrust of the white paper: the rail opportunity would benefit the region’s workforce and tourism economy, private investment would come from Brightline Trains and Universal Studios, and how – at least on paper - Central Florida is not overly choosy in its pleas for federal backing. Federal funding is half of Central Florida’s big transportation ambitions on paper. The other half is on November ballots for Orange County voters, who will be asked if they want to increase the sales tax by a penny to pay for a transportation overhaul.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Details are in a “white paper” written by the Florida Department of Transportation and local stakeholders backing proposals to extend commuter rail to Orlando’s airport, bring both commuter and high-speed rail to the region’s convention and tourism district and push high-speed rail service on to Tampa.

The thrust of the white paper: the rail opportunity would benefit the region’s workforce and tourism economy, private investment would come from Brightline Trains and Universal Studios, and how – at least on paper - Central Florida is not overly choosy in its pleas for federal backing. Federal funding is half of Central Florida’s big transportation ambitions on paper. The other half is on November ballots for Orange County voters, who will be asked if they want to increase the sales tax by a penny to pay for a transportation overhaul.

Here's a link to the reports. 
https://www.orangecountyfl.net/TrafficTransportation/TransportationInitiative/InitiativeReport.aspx#.YxdhaHbMLMY

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
7 hours ago, WAJAS said:

Anyone notice the new routing for Lymmo Lime? It's a weird winding route, but now serves SoDo (Kinda). I never took the North Quarter part of the Orange line before, so I'm not sure when it was absorbed into the Lime line as well.

316539376_514754124006554_60288890921338

They couldn’t make this system worse if they tried.

Right?  I was looking at that and between the headways and the wonky route, it sucks that's your only Lymmo out of North Quarter.

Something that I heard recently is because of the lack of grocery stores in the area, Lymmo has been deemed necessary to minimize the food desert.  Hence the Grapefruit route.  I wouldn't be surprised is the same is true for Lime and its route to the Senior Centers.

Edited by codypet