Orlando Transit

Jernigan

Not Orlando Related - but interesting article regarding Charlotte's light rail and housing connection... It's pretty impressive how much we are going to emulate this for COMMUTER rail. I'd almost classify SunRail as a commuter/light rail hybrid if all of the development snowballs and the schedule has to react. http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/12/07/3711178/light-rail-attracting-apartment.html#storylink=cpy

Very True.

Can't wait for REAL light rail in Orlando though. The North/South connector, UCF connector, and OIA connector as a combination would really make a huge impact, a thosand times more than SunTrail can by itself!

That's why I personally believe this Maglift route isn't going to work by itself. You get tourist to the convention center and then what?  The N-S line alone would connect the outlet malls, universal studios, lockheed martin, downtown, MallAtM, Holy Land, and Seal World!  That's some good stuff. Tie that into the SunRail network and you have a legit way to get around Orlando without needing a car.

I really like the direction that downtown Kissimmee is heading.

1)  True Intermodal Station (Commuter Rail, Amtrak, Lynx, Greyhound

2)  Lakefront Redevelopment

3)  Streetscape improvements (brick paving)

4) Kissimmee City Centre development

5) Healthcare zone (Orlando Health expansion)

6) Gateway Airport investment (recent announcement of Italian manufacturing jobs on the way)

7) Noticeable small business investment 

8) Historic neighborhood preservation and distinction

Hopefully the city/county can get the 192 improvement master plan project underway and bring meaningful zoning changes to that area.

The website for the LYNX 192 study is: www.us192study.com While on the subject of LYNX - tomorrow is a big day for LYNX service changes if you use the 111 to get to or from Disney. It will now end at Sea World allowing a connection to the park from the 50. I'm not sure how many people on here this would affect - the 50 is still a nice connection from downtown to the park.

• Like 1

The website for the LYNX 192 study is: www.us192study.com While on the subject of LYNX - tomorrow is a big day for LYNX service changes if you use the 111 to get to or from Disney. It will now end at Sea World allowing a connection to the park from the 50. I'm not sure how many people on here this would affect - the 50 is still a nice connection from downtown to the park.

Is my exact problem with Lynx. 

I use Link 50 just about anytime I'm going to MK. It really is easier than bothering to drive from downtown. It's one of the best-kept secrets Lynx has.

• 5 weeks later...

I recently wrote a post for a national blog about Central Florida's transit future:

How to Revolutionize a City’s Transit System: An Orlando, Florida Case Study

Nothing people on here don't already know about, but I thought you all might enjoy my map and picture of Church Street Station   ;)

I liked the map! It looked a real transit system (and gave a good perspective on how the proposed maglev route would fit in)

I recently wrote a post for a national blog about Central Florida's transit future:

How to Revolutionize a City’s Transit System: An Orlando, Florida Case Study

Nothing people on here don't already know about, but I thought you all might enjoy my map and picture of Church Street Station   ;)

Nice post. Eventually it seems that they will need to include a more quick "subway" style line running east to west through downtown. Possibly a route that follows along the line of 50 from the UCF area over towards Winter Garden/50 and the turnpike are, or even all the way to Cleremont. I know ther eis no exsisting tracks so that seems to be the main issue. Either way, it would do wonders for traffic throughout the the day. Although the 408 is pretty easy and quick to get across town most of the time, the hassle for metro Orlando residents (east & west) of HAVING to take your car everytime you go downtown is inconvientant, especially for the large amount of college students who work and play downtown.

LYNX was looking at several additional express bus routes and one of which would have connected east Orange County with downtown via the 408. The other two were from Osceola County into downtown. They didn't happen and so we still only have the two (Orange City and Clermont into town). The bus that travels along Colonial from Winter Garden to UCF has been divided into two routes and has limited stops for part of it. From what I can tell, the time savings in nominal though. Personally, I think the land use out there makes it extremely challenging to make transit appealing for such a short trip into downtown. The congestion along Alafaya and 50 make it difficult for anyone not very close to the imagined station or park and ride lot. I know going from UCF to let's say Waterford Lakes isn't just a quick detour. And there are challenges to building something at UCF like not having free parking available.

LYNX was looking at several additional express bus routes and one of which would have connected east Orange County with downtown via the 408. The other two were from Osceola County into downtown. They didn't happen and so we still only have the two (Orange City and Clermont into town). The bus that travels along Colonial from Winter Garden to UCF has been divided into two routes and has limited stops for part of it. From what I can tell, the time savings in nominal though. Personally, I think the land use out there makes it extremely challenging to make transit appealing for such a short trip into downtown. The congestion along Alafaya and 50 make it difficult for anyone not very close to the imagined station or park and ride lot. I know going from UCF to let's say Waterford Lakes isn't just a quick detour. And there are challenges to building something at UCF like not having free parking available.

Well Hold on. In All fairness to Lynx. FastLink 441 reduces the trip between OSceola Square and Downtown by 30 + Minutes compared to the 1.5 + hours on Link 4 and the regular route. It may not be an official express bus but it acts as an Express bus.

• 3 weeks later...

So I drive North will be getting an I Drive South like Makeover. 7.7
Million dollars starting sometime between May and August. Dedicated bus
lanes, landscaping, better pedestrian walkways and crosswalks and some
good love. lol

I meant the 104. It's not a Fast Link and just took out all stops between Magnolia and Semoran except for Fashion Square

Just as 105 that split up Liink 30.

• 1 month later...

I dont know but Lymmo doesn't seem like it will have enough space down Central.

There's no dedicated lane for Lymmo on that stretch of Central (meaning that the bus will travel with traffic). There are dedicated lanes in other sections of the expansion (mostly on the west side of I-4). Here's a link to the plan:

http://www.golymmo.com/

In my opinion, this is the most exciting project taking place downtown. It's going to provide the most effective public transportation in the region. If you live in Parramore, you'll be able to get to a grocery store (the Publix on Central) without a car - for free. If you live in Thornton Park, you'll be able to get to Magic game at the Amway without driving - again, for free. Workers at the Federal Courthouse, the OC Health Department and HD Supply will be able to get to the Orange Avenue core for lunch easily and quickly.

It also makes the current Lymmo route more useful, and will greatly enhance SunRail's chances of success. Can't wait to see it up and running.

I dont know but Lymmo doesn't seem like it will have enough space down Central.

I think he was referring to how narrow Central becomes with street parking. The Lymmo is a big clunky box. I can barely drive down Central in my car without worrying about hitting:  another car due to bad parralell parking, a pedestrian carelessly crossing the street, someone opening their door into oncoming traffic, a pedi-cab traveling in the opposite direction with a wheel that overextends into oncoming traffic,  squirrels, etc.

Link 313 already travels down Central.

I hope this eastern expansion expedites development in the remaining lots in South Eola

I looked at the map and Link 313 does not travel down the entire length of Central Blvd, it diverges onto Osceola without having to deal with the clusterfunk up ahead.

• 3 weeks later...