Orlando Transit

Jernigan

DOT has just recently kicked off the US 441 study. Next summer they should have an idea of what level of transit service they will look to run on or along 441 from Orlando through Apopka to the Golden Triangle and potentially on towards Leesburg and the Villages.

LYNX is also kicking off a SR50/UCF Connector exploring the same options.

To get a better idea of what these studies look like, you could check out the website of the US192 study which is midway through the process. - www.us192study.com

• 3 weeks later...

Another article about carshare following the City's approval of an agreement with FDOT on Monday.

http://www.cfnews13.com/content/news/cfnews13/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2013/5/22/cars_to_rent_for_a_f.html

What say you guys about hourly car rental coming to downtown? The idea is that people who could potentially use SunRail (or LYNX, carpool, etc) to get downtown have one less reason to not drive alone to work.

As a downtown-area resident that lives along a bus line, it's things like this that get me excited about potentially being car free overall at one point - if not being a 1-car family instead of 2 or 2 instead of 3 etc.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

As far as I can tell, the eastern part of the line seems ready to go - street/lane striping, shelters, etc.  Has anyone checked out the West side? 

I went for a run on Sunday around most of the route.  However, I turned down Parramore instead of continuing to Westmoreland.  Central, South, and Terry were done.  Church Street is all torn up.  There's a shelter done at Central/Division and South/Division, but only Pole Signs are Central/Parramore and Church/Parramore (presumably since ones will be built with the Soccer Stadium).

Overall, looks really good though.

• 3 months later...

we can only dream that something like this would be completed in downtown.....but miami is on another level. 

on a consolation, i think the airport location that we have will have a huge impact for orlando as well. there is no way ft lauderdale or west palm beach will have anything resembling miami. however, the OIA location is spearheading the huge intermodal center south of the airport. without AAF, this would be years, if not decades away. since AAF is here, the airport pushed to get this built. it will be a lot easier for sunrail to have a spur to the airport if a station is actually built already, which AAF triggered. this is also going to precursor the long stalled airport expansion. 

we can only dream that something like this would be completed in downtown.....but miami is on another level. 

on a consolation, i think the airport location that we have will have a huge impact for orlando as well. there is no way ft lauderdale or west palm beach will have anything resembling miami. however, the OIA location is spearheading the huge intermodal center south of the airport. without AAF, this would be years, if not decades away. since AAF is here, the airport pushed to get this built. it will be a lot easier for sunrail to have a spur to the airport if a station is actually built already, which AAF triggered. this is also going to precursor the long stalled airport expansion. 

exactly!  and without the AAF proposal, I don't know how Maglev would even be able to dock at OIA either; hence, that proposal would have been defunct as well- unless as a backup they would've just gone to SLR instead, but I don't think so.

I think the airport location for AAF is a tragedy.  Having our main transportation hub located in a field 40 minutes south of town just seems crazy to me.  It should obviously continue into downtown Orlando for an additional stop.  Our central bus station is in downtown Orlando.