Orlando Transit

Jernigan

I think the airport location for AAF is a tragedy.  Having our main transportation hub located in a field 40 minutes south of town just seems crazy to me.  It should obviously continue into downtown Orlando for an additional stop.  Our central bus station is in downtown Orlando.

"Tragedy" is hardly the word that comes to mind for me. There is momentum politically for a future SunRail connector to the airport. Given that SunRail and the future All Aboard Florida system will use standard gauge tracks, it's conceivable that All Aboard Florida could add extra stops north beyond the airport if it makes financial sense.

^^

I think on the sliding scale of "tragedies," Orlando is sitting pretty ala rail by the mere fact that a 31 mile first phase of CRT is up and running in 2014.

I also think that having AAF go between Miami and Orlando as its first phase and potentially only phase is another huge win.  On that note, the fact that AAF's maintenance facility (8/10 trains) will be housed at OIA is another huge win.

Furthermore, the mere proposal of AAF spurned AMT to develop a phase 1 the route proposal for Maglev from OIA to the OCCC via Sunrail (SLR) and Florida Mall, which, is, without belaboring the point, an incredibly huge win for so many reasons.  And an ancillary I-Drive circulator is also part of the plan.

The AAF proposal may also spurn quicker movement for a direct link to OIA via Taft as well regardless of Maglev's proposal.

The AAF line is not terminating in the middle of a field.  It is terminating in an intermodal hub that will be the centerpiece of a new terminal complex at OIA.  The AAF proposal has fast tracked the timetable for OIA as well.  This is a huge economic engine. 

But why it is going to downtown Miami to Orlando airport and not downtown Orlando. Downtown Orlando could use a Union Station for all the trains and a 100 millions station like they planned to do in downtown Miami. They can extend sunrail to the airport. If we want downtown Orlando to be centralized...it should have stop there..but it is too late now.

On the side note, we could have the nation first HSR from Orlando to Tampa if certain someone would say yes

^^

There are logistical differences between DT Miami and DT Orlando ala rail.  For another discussion. But:

OIA is City property, so I don't think there was a GOAA vs City power struggle there.  But I think OIA wants to grow now and not tomorrow, and by putting the AAF station there they have to fast track the overall expansion.  I know Delta was against OIA expansion in a prior report, and created a lot of Hartsfield vs OIA stuff ala relative importance of OIA and other slights, etc.

So, I think there's more at stake with a station at OIA.

Forget about downtown Miami for a minute.  If AAF went straight to downtown Orlando, it could spurn a nice Union Station, retail, and hotel, and support Sunrail.  But at OIA, it is driving sped-up development of a $2B south terminal, potential expansion of Sunrail to OIA, and creation of a whole new system in Maglev to service I-Drive traffic from OIA in phase 1, and an I-Drive circulator near the OCCC.  The OCCC would also be a big winner here.

So, Orange County (OCCC) wins, GOAA wins, and a Sunrail station either at OIA or the Maglev connector at SLR helps ensure future Sunrail ridership numbers, so Sunrail and FDOT wins.

If the OCCC wins, then hotels and restaurants win, I-Drive's clout as a bona fide tourist corridor increases, and more development ensues.  OIA benefits even more. 

You have to support what drives your economy. 

IMO, downtown Orlando somehow still manages to exist in spite of itself.  Super high rents, counter intuitive code enforcement, etc.

BTW, a new Norwegian airline is starting service to OIA from Oslo.  That's huge.  More direct flights is good for business and the image of Orlando.  I foresee more direct flights coming to OIA in the future because of AAF.

One more thing, if AAF came directly to downtown, you wouldn't have to switch systems and ride Sunrail to do it.  You do with the present plan.  That increases ridership on Sunrail- or, will.

Edited by jrs2
  • Like 2

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/blog/brinkmann-on-business/os-maglev-man-morris-makes-the-rounds-again-20140602,0,2640809.post

Who are these "blogger" yahoos passing themselves off as business journalists these days under the "Orlando Sentinel" banner?  My, how my hometown newspaper has fallen.  There's certainly reason for skepticism around the AMT proposal from a technology perspective, but there's also something I've found quite appealing about it after reading the FDOT's assessment of the technology.  The fact is, they have built a working prototype of a magnetic levitation and propulsion technology in Georgia that has practical application, and the criticism from local press I've seen doesn't acknowledge that.  Most of the questions from the FDOT assessment were around vehicle stabilisation, which are much easier technology challenges to master than a cost-effective maglev solution.  They've solved a big problem with $50 million of R&D investment, after billions spent by the German and Japanese governments.  If they can build it and operate it at the costs they are proposing, it could become a very disruptive technology in the mass transportation sector.

Edited by jliv

LYNX has announced real time bus trackers for its LYMMO buses. Lynxbustracker.com

They hope to expand it to their regular buses too. Sunrail is also working on this though not as important if they keep the trains on time and make station announcements that are useful.

• Like 1

Seeing a lot of tweets off of an OBJ article that asked the question - "is uber a last mile connector for Sunrail"

I think that's a yes/no answer. For getting to the airport or downtown Sanford - sure (but will we have über drivers in Sanford in the first place?). But if your using the train for work that will add up fast.

I don't know anyone who is connected to the airport in Sanford, but I would assume that airport has a desire to expand and grow.  I wouldn't think they'd want to be a tiny afterthought to OIA until the end of time.  If Orlando keeps growing as a premium travel destination we might need an O'Hare/Midway, Dulles/Reagan/BWI, LaGuardia/JFK situation.  Those cities need that because of their huge populations, we would need it for the number of visitors.

It would seem logical, if they indeed wanted some sort of SMALL equality to OIA, they should find a way to make a serious push to get a spur line from SunRail to their airport.

OIA has the possible MagLev proposal (still not convinced this will happen, but I'm rooting for it!) and the possible SunRail spur (still just a budget footnote in 2014) from the Meadow Woods station to the airport.

If I ran that airport, I'd try to get my airport on the map by being connected to the system.  Be it by rail or be it by direct shuttles, I'd get on it and start advertising the crap out of it.

I don't know anyone who is connected to the airport in Sanford, but I would assume that airport has a desire to expand and grow.  I wouldn't think they'd want to be a tiny afterthought to OIA until the end of time.  If Orlando keeps growing as a premium travel destination we might need an O'Hare/Midway, Dulles/Reagan/BWI, LaGuardia/JFK situation.  Those cities need that because of their huge populations, we would need it for the number of visitors.

It would seem logical, if they indeed wanted some sort of SMALL equality to OIA, they should find a way to make a serious push to get a spur line from SunRail to their airport.

OIA has the possible MagLev proposal (still not convinced this will happen, but I'm rooting for it!) and the possible SunRail spur (still just a budget footnote in 2014) from the Meadow Woods station to the airport.

If I ran that airport, I'd try to get my airport on the map by being connected to the system.  Be it by rail or be it by direct shuttles, I'd get on it and start advertising the crap out of it.

I totally agree about getting the airport connected to rail (OIA and also OSI).  OIA will for sure be connected to AAF and they can market the hec out of that.  But that connection to Sunrail either directly or ala AMT is also crucial.  OSI can connect to Sunrail but I think Seminole is going to have to fork over some $$$ to make that connection happen.

I used Uber to/from the Leann Rimes concert this weekend.  Everyone in our group was impressed with the quick response time, the friendliness of the drivers and how well the app tracking works.  Both drivers refused tips and said they just wanted us to be happy with the service. (I still made them both take $5)  The fares for 2 miles was about $6 and I think in the past I paid Mears about $10 before.  During the free period until 6/20/14, Uber is paying the drivers $15 an hour daytimes and $17 for weekend evenings.  The driver told us after the free period, Uber gives them 80% of the fares collected.  The app that all the drivers have alerts them if they are the closest driver to the client and they have 15 seconds to accept or it gets moved to the next closest driver's queue.  The only changes I'd recommend is that should add the vehicle color along with the driver photo, the vehicle brand and license number they already provide.

I used Uber to/from the Leann Rimes concert this weekend.  Everyone in our group was impressed with the quick response time, the friendliness of the drivers and how well the app tracking works.  Both drivers refused tips and said they just wanted us to be happy with the service. (I still made them both take $5)  The fares for 2 miles was about $6 and I think in the past I paid Mears about $10 before.  During the free period until 6/20/14, Uber is paying the drivers $15 an hour daytimes and $17 for weekend evenings.  The driver told us after the free period, Uber gives them 80% of the fares collected.  The app that all the drivers have alerts them if they are the closest driver to the client and they have 15 seconds to accept or it gets moved to the next closest driver's queue.  The only changes I'd recommend is that should add the vehicle color along with the driver photo, the vehicle brand and license number they already provide.

I used it for the first time Friday and was also impressed.  (Definitely agree about the vehicle color, though.)  I tried to use it again Saturday at 3:00am and didn't get a response.  I saw lots of cars on the map, but I guess they were busy with other customers. The estimated wait was only 20 minutes, so I should have just been more tenacious. 

I used it for the first time Friday and was also impressed.  (Definitely agree about the vehicle color, though.)  I tried to use it again Saturday at 3:00am and didn't get a response.  I saw lots of cars on the map, but I guess they were busy with other customers. The estimated wait was only 20 minutes, so I should have just been more tenacious. 

Same thing happened to me a 2:30am in Sat....it was just too busy.   Even Mears was reluctant to pick people up.

• 2 weeks later...

I received an e-mail survey today from FDOT about the potential for commuter rail/express bus service along the US441 corridor from downtown O-town up to Eustis. Hopefully, this means some sort of movement is still underway for the Orange Blossom Express.

Fascinating.  I know they got $$$ to improve the tracks and if you drive up 441 you can see the improvements at the intersections.  But I thought the idea of CRT was either a rouge or dead for CFRR.

Fascinating.  I know they got $$$ to improve the tracks and if you drive up 441 you can see the improvements at the intersections.  But I thought the idea of CRT was either a rouge or dead for CFRR.

I believe when it got funding for those improvements making sure all of the track upgrades for a CRT were in it was done as well. This will be a significantly less expensive project then Sunrail, needing stations and trains only at this point. I think that makes it have a good chance of happening.

I believe when it got funding for those improvements making sure all of the track upgrades for a CRT were in it was done as well. This will be a significantly less expensive project then Sunrail, needing stations and trains only at this point. I think that makes it have a good chance of happening.

If CRT is an option still along this route, I foresee a station in Apopka and perhaps one at College Park as well.  And if they reactivate the track spur to Winter Garden (it kind of loops north) they could reactivate a station in Winter garden too.

^^

Agreed.  What's interesting is that John Mica made a statement about east Orlando in that he had an idea of putting a rail line along a power line easement.  Winter Garden already has a train track.  It just needs to be improved.

The Central Florida Train Museum (?) is located in Winter Garden and it's pretty neat if you're into trains.  They have a lot of old maps and some history on the construction of the two lines that used to run through downtown.  There is a second Winter Garden museum that I have not checked out which actually has an old train I believe.