Forum Participation

MTSUBlueraider86

I know we are in a recession and the built environment is suffering due to the banks not loaning money. We have a 9.7% unemployment rate for the country and upwards of 11% for the state of Tennessee. I have not had a full time job since September 2008 and my wife has not had one since November 2008. I finnally secured a part time position back in the of March.

With that being said, I am trying to be optomistic. I am of the hope and belief that Nashville will bounce back from the recession and the flood. Would more participation on the forums actually help the dialouge and spread some ideas on how things can be better?

What does our city have to do to get things rolling again? Will the MCC now under construction help?

We would love to see more participation on the forum and certainly more at the forum meets.

Discuss.

SEC

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been around here for several years now...and this forum was very lively before the recession. It was fun to come here and talk about all of the amazing construction that was either happening..or rumored to be happening. Then...we were punched in the gut.

Hopefully...it won't be long until things pick up. If we can get the MCC out of the ground...the MCC hotel started...and the riverbank improvements started, I think people may start coming back. You just have to remember how far we've fallen. Your own list of construction that didn't come to fruition over the past couple of years is pretty telling as to why people got tired of posting. We'll catch our breath and be back soon...hopefully.

We need to title all threads "Justin Bieber" or "Basil Marceaux".

I'm Basil Marceaux.com and have a nice day. And uh... have a nice day.

Now that's done, I think that forum participation has unfortunately gone the way like Nashville Charrette. I agree with TH that once the projects start to pickup, when something more than MCC is being worked on, we'll come back more often. The hotel. A solution to WES. Riverfront. Whatever is being built at Rolling Mill Hill.

Agreed. However, we can still open dialog while nothing really is going on. Once the banks start lending again and once American banks stop financing Dubai, Jakarta, Mumbia, Shanghai, and other international cities and start focusing on American cities again we will see some development but greed got the best of them unfortunately.

SEC

• 2 weeks later...

There is far more happening than we realize. The reality is that much of the activity is "small scale." For example, I continue to see updates to various properties' signage, lighting, landscaping and color scheme. I drove Charlotte today and saw three buildings that have gotten exterior facelifts (paint, signage, outdoor seating, etc.) during the past few months.

We have to be realistic and accept the fact that Nashville won't see much large-scale construction during the next three years or so. As such, we must celebrate the small victories -- stuff like the new Metro Arts Commission bike racks (I like the big microphone at the Musica Roundabout) and the eye-catching Yazoo logo on the brewing company's Gulch building.

Individually, none is a Pinnacle at Symphony Place, Schermerhorn or Deaderick Street streetscape improvement project. But collectively, these many modest changes to the city's built fabric are fairly significant.

WW

Archived