Google Earth

richyb83

Been messing around with Google Earth lately checking out some of the lastest 3-D building Skylines across the U.S(Houston, Dallas, Miami, NYC, Chicago, L.A., K.C. etc...) & the World (Toronto, London, Paris, Sydney, Tokyo, Kuala Lumpur, Dubai)For some reason the buildings for Seattle were not working at the time?? This stuff can almost be addictive flying around the globe ha...

Was pleased to see when flying over Baton Rouge some nice 3-D buildings have completed since visting Google Earth a while back...they are not just plain vertical boxes; but now have nice detail! The State Capitol, One American Place, Old State Capitol, Shaw Center for the Arts, new Iberville state bldg, City Plaza, much of Third Street corridor; River Center, Governmental Bldg...even the old City Club & the Marriott at College/I-10! Tiger Stadium looks great too!

In the future I look forward seeing the Chase Towers rise up on the 3-D sketch along with the Hilton Capitol Center; new II City Plaza, new Courthouse, LASM domed planetarium, Commerce bldg; the rest of the new state buildings Galvez, LaSalle, Claiborne, Bienville(partially complete); the old 12-story building on Third @ Convention. And out in the burbs adding the Shaw HQ's; Jacobs Plaza....there is my request :lol:

No doubt this a work in progress..wish I had more time to learn how to sketch up something for BR; does not look easy. Alot of other cities look to have their 3-D Skylines complete; however places like Buckhead in Atlanta have barely started; did not see Minneapolis 2nd Tallest skyscraper; about 1/2 of Manhattan still not there; are a few examples.

Dan326 did some nice work here on UP last year with his proposed high-rise signature tower for the CBD.

*Here's a sketch-up from the Google 3-D Warehouse

downloadge.jpg

*Some nice work done here on the BR page..props to these guys for their time consuming work! NOLA Saint; nano21_92; LSU_2101 or the others..if you happen to read this..please feel free to chime in :thumbsup:

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/search?tags=Baton+Rouge

For some reason there is a brown strip in the satelitte pic along the Mississippi River/Downtown while the rest of Baton Rouge is green...

http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/map/google_map_Baton_Rouge.htm

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear that Dan...those viruses don't play.

Wish I had more time to sketch something up...was hoping some of the people that drew those buildings might run across this site.

Also would like to see added.... the 14-story Dean(old Republic Tower) near BRCC & 12-story Woodale Tower

• 8 months later...

Props to who ever added (sketched) the Chase Towers recently :thumbsup: eventhough the the south tower is supposed to be taller 277'ft vs 229' & not the same height...looks like someone also added the River Center and even the communications tower. Downtown's 3-D bldgs are slowly coming together!

I need a crash course on how to sketch up some buildings...

• 2 years later...

Had to give some MAJOR props to an up-to-date Google Earth 3D!!!   Baton Rouge looks much nicer now with the 3-D Buildings pretty much completed!!  The Hilton Capitol House; new II City Plaza; new Courthouse; final few new state buildings in Capitol Park......surprised at the Southgate Towers(LSU); the mid-rise office buildings on Acadian Thruway near I-10........... OLOL Medical Tower; Jacobs; Shaw/CBI.......Perkins Rowe; new Renaissance Hotel on Bluebonnet Blvd........Mid City Tower & Woodale Tower.....the mid-rise office bldgs. along the So.Sherwood Forest Blvd corridor &  ALL of the smaller buildings condos/apts and houses; etc, etc.......even trees around the city too!

BIG TIME PROPS!!! :hi:  :thumbsup:  :shades:

• 1 month later...

I went on there and looked at the 3D map and while it was definitely neat it was kind of creepy too. :lol:

Like, how exactly did they get all of those 360 views of buildings to make those models? And such a detailed view of the refinery? (Drones?)

I went on there and looked at the 3D map and while it was definitely neat it was kind of creepy too. :lol:

Like, how exactly did they get all of those 360 views of buildings to make those models? And such a detailed view of the refinery? (Drones?)

If you look closely you can see that a lot of it is just images of the buildings pasted onto the sides of a 3D object. One of the worst buildings I have seen was Chateaux de Versailles, the sides of the building are at a very strange and off angle. 

Lol, I know that but just I'm wondering how they got images of the sides of buildings not facing the street and in some of the crevices and what not. They even made a model of the apartments on W McKinly St and the downtown Hampton Inn under construction.

Good question Dan...that's quite possible...noticed that construction on W.McKinley too...lol

Yeah it's not perfect...the new II City Plaza up close is kinda off...but still an impressive body of work overall.

That's really cool All2Neat....love me some maps! That's some job that will keep you busy!

Downtown BR looks really nice! Most every thing completed...(still not completed)the Pier/a.k.a BR Landing looks like it fell in the river...maybe it will be added once the IBM Block goes up :shades:

GoogleEarthDowntownBR_zps8eec8e06.jpg

Archived