Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

Sound like we need more grocery stores like that downtown. I don't even remember the last time I used a shopping cart...

I guess the rest of us will need to reconsider the way we do shopping... or simply adapt. I don't find shopping an enjoyable activity, so I usually fill up a shopping cart in hopes of having enough sustenance to last for a few weeks. The thought of making repeated trips to the grocery store seems a little draining. But maybe the trade off of having a smaller grocery store next door with the guarantee of getting in and out quickly might change my mind. The people who live at the Waverly @ Paramount have the best of both worlds downtown.

I guess the rest of us will need to reconsider the way we do shopping... or simply adapt. I don't find shopping an enjoyable activity, so I usually fill up a shopping cart in hopes of having enough sustenance to last for a few weeks. The thought of making repeated trips to the grocery store seems a little draining. But maybe the trade off of having a smaller grocery store next door with the guarantee of getting in and out quickly might change my mind. The people who live at the Waverly @ Paramount have the best of both worlds downtown.

I personally love the convenience of popping down to the Sainsburys Local on foot to grab bread, milk, or chicken breast for stir-fry.  It's a much more pleasant experience than going to the bigger store and dealing with the crowds. I'm probably in there 2-3 times a week; there's a lot of things they don't stock but you'd be surprised how basic your requirements can be to make a decent meal at home.

• Like 1

Hey we were talking about the diocese property, did anyone notice the windowless bottom old Southern Bank is spray painted with DEMO on it? Are they putting something there?

Yep, just noticed that myself today. I have no idea if they plan on replacing it with anything but I remember reading the Old Southern Bank building had come under new ownership and/or management. I was in the lobby last week and they had a couple renderings showing some exterior improvements but it appeared to be mainly relegated to landscaping. I didn't even notice if this weird corner extension was missing it not.

Is everyone here familiar with all 3 of these projects discussed in the OBJ?

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2014/05/3-apartment-complexes-on-tap-near-downtown-orlando.html

The Fashion Square Mall apartment complex; I know about that.

The 9 story apartment building across Star Tower, I know about that as well.

Citi Towers-- not sure about this one though.  I think it's that former proposal for a residential tower behind Paramount on the east side of Lake Ave.

Edited by jrs2

Is everyone here familiar with all 3 of these projects discussed in the OBJ?

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2014/05/3-apartment-complexes-on-tap-near-downtown-orlando.html

The Fashion Square Mall apartment complex; I know about that.

The 9 story apartment building across Star Tower, I know about that as well.

Citi Towers-- not sure about this one though.  I think it's that former proposal for a residential tower behind Paramount on the east side of Lake Ave.

Elan - http://bungalower.com/2014/03/new-apartment-complex-proposed-audubon-parkcolonial-town-area/

420 Church - http://bungalower.com/2013/09/new-apartment-building-coming-to-downtown/

Citi - http://bungalower.com/2014/01/twenty-one-story-citi-tower-proposed-thornton-park-district/

Too bad the Élan one is surrounded by parking. Wish we had zoning that gave the city the option of preventing this all the way to Semoran

Anyone want to help petition the city to extend the traditional city out to 436? What would be the arguments against it?

http://www.cityoforlando.net/gis/wp-content/uploads/sites/22/2014/04/Traditional-City-Boundaries.pdf

Would be nice to add Milk District, Fashion Square Mall and Executive Airport area. Could cut the extension off at Lake Underhill/408 or at the airport boundary. Thoughts?

Anyone want to help petition the city to extend the traditional city out to 436? What would be the arguments against it?

http://www.cityoforlando.net/gis/wp-content/uploads/sites/22/2014/04/Traditional-City-Boundaries.pdf

Would be nice to add Milk District, Fashion Square Mall and Executive Airport area. Could cut the extension off at Lake Underhill/408 or at the airport boundary. Thoughts?

Love it, where's the petition? 

What's the definition of "traditional city"? "Historic districts" I get but am stumped by the other.

What's the definition of "traditional city"? "Historic districts" I get but am stumped by the other.

In fairness I knew nothing about the Traditional City until I started Bungalower and realized my "boundaries" were almost exactly the same as the Traditional City.

There was a great description on the Staff Report when they last expanded...but I can't find that on the new website. Here's a description from another document.

To protect and to enhance the positive design elements of the Traditional City shown in Figure 
UD-1. The Traditional City shall be defined by recognizable geographic boundaries of 
subdivisions platted prior to World War II in which there is a concentration of the following 
positive design elements: 
Residential 
a. Residential with commercial land uses interspersed throughout the neighborhoods; 
b. Economically mixed neighborhoods; 
c. Mixture of architectural styles and sizes of structures; 
d. Mixture of densities on one block; 
e. Varied building setbacks; 
f. Gridded streets and dispersed traffic pattern; 
g. Narrow roads, often brick; 
h. Sidewalks; 
i. Accessible lakes; 
j. Mature street tree canopy. 
Commercial 
a. Compact buildings of similar mass and scale which create a street wall; 
b. Mixture of architectural styles; 
c. Orientation toward the street; 
d. Narrow or no setback from the sidewalk; 
e. On-street parking. 

What I love about all the design in the areas I cover has a lot to do with the Traditional City designation.

• Like 1

Why? I don't see the benefits. 

In fairness I knew nothing about the Traditional City until I started Bungalower and realized my "boundaries" were almost exactly the same as the Traditional City.

There was a great description on the Staff Report when they last expanded...but I can't find that on the new website. Here's a description from another document.

To protect and to enhance the positive design elements of the Traditional City shown in Figure 
UD-1. The Traditional City shall be defined by recognizable geographic boundaries of 
subdivisions platted prior to World War II in which there is a concentration of the following 
Residential 
a. Residential with commercial land uses interspersed throughout the neighborhoods; 
h. Sidewalks; 
i. Accessible lakes; 
Commercial 
e. On-street parking. 

What I love about all the design in the areas I cover has a lot to do with the Traditional City designation.        

You can also see how the boom-bust cycles have shaped what we know as "Orlando".  Much of the "traditional city" was formed during the Land Boom of the 1920's (your Bungalower districts).  The areas you are suggesting for inclusion were mostly built-up during the late 50's and early 60's during the Cold War defense spending boom in Central Florida.   The Executive Airport (the old Orlando Army Air Base) draws a distinct eastern boundary.  I don't really think of the Orlando Fashion Square area as "traditional", as it was build in the 1970's.  

IMHO You would need to articulate the goals of an extension to 436 in your petition.  If you're wanting to define Azalea Park as "traditional" and see more application of neo-traditional infill development along the 436 corridor, I'd illustrate that vision as part of the petition.  I'm of the opinion that there are many untapped opportunities for infill development throughout Orlando, which are not limited to downtown.

for whatever reason, I kept thinking Citi Tower was for another parcel in Eola South. 

Too bad 420 Church isn't being built where Eola Place was supposed to go.  I think the block where it's going has those ginormous oaks on it.

These South Eola developments are very exciting.  Very impressed that the 420 W. Church Street project is supposed to start this month.  I hope that happens.  Hopefully, the Eola Place property will be developed soon.  I'm surprised that the 201 S. Eola project never came back to life.  I really liked that one.

Residential 
h. Sidewalks; 
i. Accessible lakes; 
Commercial 
e. On-street parking. 

As much as I like the notion of my neighborhood being incorporated into this designation, we don't meet the criteria above as the entire neighborhood was developed in the mid '50s.  (On the flip side, I think it's perfect from an architectural standpoint since I love the retro flair most of the houses have.)  

That, plus the west Curry Ford Road "shopping district" would call for some serious rule bending to fit into those commercial requirements.   :)

Edited by orlandoguy

The idea would be to incorporate the traditional city design standards into any future development. So if they redeveloped the Colonial Shops (not sure on the exact name) shopping center they would have to fit in with the Traditional City standards..same with the fashion square mall development. While I think Mill Park came short of what a lot of people wanted to see it's a good example of the type of development you get in the traditional city overlay. Really I just like the idea of max setbacks and not allowing all the parking to be in front. It make the area feel more walkable.

There are plenty of buildings that don't conform with the Traditional City rules in the current traditional city because they were built after WWII but before the current rules were in effect. I think we should create design standards for what we want not just what we have.

The fact that it ends at Bumby feels odd to me when driving...I can see the designs of buildings change but the idea that it changes at Bumby because that's where the City limits used to be is odd. They have incorporated areas that weren't technically in the Traditional City before...this might be another good one to consider. [Rant Over]

These South Eola developments are very exciting.  Very impressed that the 420 W. Church Street project is supposed to start this month.  I hope that happens.  Hopefully, the Eola Place property will be developed soon.  I'm surprised that the 201 S. Eola project never came back to life.  I really liked that one.

I agree.  There's already good synergy down in there.  There new projects will turn it up a notch or two. 

I just wish that they had never torn down those old brick houses where Eola Place was supposed to go or near there back in '05 or so.  I hate when they raze the property and then nothing happens. It's probably a ploy to lure a buyer so they can flip the property quickly.

I am actually amazed at the amount of residential influx in downtown lately.  I just didn't realize the demand was there that much.

I think downtown needs an establishment like East End up there near Baldwin off of Corrine & Winter Park Rd.