Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

I agree.  There's already good synergy down in there.  There new projects will turn it up a notch or two. 

I just wish that they had never torn down those old brick houses where Eola Place was supposed to go or near there back in '05 or so.  I hate when they raze the property and then nothing happens. It's probably a ploy to lure a buyer so they can flip the property quickly.

I am actually amazed at the amount of residential influx in downtown lately.  I just didn't realize the demand was there that much.

I think downtown needs an establishment like East End up there near Baldwin off of Corrine & Winter Park Rd.

I think a specialty grocery store is being planned for the Lucerne property. That corner has great visibility from the road, easily accessible and plenty of space for parking. Hopefully they don't screw it up like that Ravaudage project in Winter Park.

Let's use that term "Exclusive" lightly...there aren't any details. We've known for a while that Health Village would like a grocery store...getting one is another story :)

Winter Park road closure was always part of the plan...however the original plan showed that it would turn into a pedestrian only access to Orange Ave....now it ends at a parking garage :( 

We're working on a number of Health Village related posts and hope to have them ready to go soon with some more updates... It's going to be a really cool area once everything gets going.

Disclosure I live only three blocks from health village!

It would be very cool to see a monorail in Orlando connecting the airport to the convention center and making stops along i-Drive.  I personally LOVE the Disney World monorails and one of my wishes is that they'd connect Hollywood Studios via monorail.  It's clean, quiet, and I just think elevated trains like that look futuristic.  Plus, they don't clog up existing streets or cause problems with pedestrian crossings.  The cost of something like this would seem exorbitant and I don't really see it happening.  But I'll hold my breath nonetheless. 

Can anyone expand on what the "Magnolia Avenue Streetscape" project entails?

It is mentioned in the April 17 ARB minutes under the DPAC as well as in the May ARB agenda under the Magnolia Dental Center agenda item.

Led me to a google search which turned up more mentions including a narrowing but no renderings or vision statements. Any insights?

• 2 weeks later...

With the Sevens, Cresent, Jefferson partment project, Nora...abou to be built and under construction, they all share the same design with garage/courtyard in the center with residents wrapped around it.

I stole this page from Gainesville downtown development board...

Fullscreencapture632014104904AM.jpg

Wouldnt you think it would be better if they can break the building off into many smaller and taller buildings? That seems to be the "smart growth" approach, not to mention we can have more public space.

I don't think that works downtowns. Maybe a 2-3 story building, but not 6-10 story buildings. I would need the designer to walk me through it but it looks as if parking is on stand alone garages. If that is the case, it would be a lot more expensive to do it that way and inefficient. 

The plans look like it would work in a Baldwin Park setting where you have surface parking. 

Just for example, instead of building a steel house or seven, built the city hall complex with the city hall and two cnl buildings. Instead of building Jefferson apartment, build 3 Jackson with ground floor retails or 2 eola place 101. It achieved the same density with less footprint

Citi Tower had its 2nd hearing yesterday at Council. I think it needs 1 more?

Could you imagine all of the good and bad of both of these guys going vertical at the same time?!

Sunshine - think of all of the 7-11s we might see in S Eola! ;)

• Like 1

Could you imagine all of the good and bad of both of these guys going vertical at the same time?!

Simple answer - cost

Though they will not have retail, don't forget about the Thornton Park Brownstones!  Construction will begin late summer.  Demo of existing structures will happen mid June.