Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

Hey we were talking about the diocese property, did anyone notice the windowless bottom old Southern Bank is spray painted with DEMO on it?  Are they putting something there?

A blurb in the March ARB states the building will be demolished, but future plans for the lot are unclear at this time. "No redevelopment plan has come back to the City as yet, but there is intention to sell after demolition."

Found another subtle clue mentioned in the Sentinel on Friday. The warehouse building that exploded last year is back in the news over a conflict with Dr. Phillips to save a wall mural. A building next door owned by Dr. Phillips Charities is being torn down, including a shared upper-level wall of the warehouse. The wall is a remnant interior wall from an upper level many years ago, however, it is now structurally supported by the DP building, so the guy doesn't have much of a case. At the end of the article it states: "Dr. Phillips plans to build something on the block, though plans have not yet been filed with the city."

So far, 2 of the 5 buildings owned by DP on that block are being demolished... the other 3 buildings don't seem to serve much purpose either so I hope they'll be demolished the future as well.

post-26482-0-52556500-1402251559_thumb.jpost-26482-0-37307900-1402253141_thumb.j

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 1

What's interesting about this is that it seems to indicates Dr. Phillips is finally getting serious about doing something with their extensive portfolio of buildings west of Orange Avenue and along OBT from at least Central Blvd. north to Fairvilla. We all hoped when they split the foundation from the business several years back that it would get things moving, but for the last few years there hasn't been much happening. Now, that seems to be changing. 

If there is someone with development credentials thinking of uses for those buildings, it could really jump start growth on the westside.

I like that building too. I heard it used to be a funeral home back in the day. Wonder how true that is...

Even though I'm all about repurposing, I wouldn't mind if they tore it down to build something better. The only buildings scheduled for demo in the ARB were shown in the street view snapshots included in my previous post (i.e. the building on the corner of Orange/Robinson and the building in the rear on Jefferson).

Edited by nite owℓ

Nite Owl - was this an old ARB? I can't see Junes and have had an overall hard time finding info on the city website after the revamp.

just fyi for anyone - it took me a few times to find these myself after the revamp

http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/appearance-review-board/ 

http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/municipal-planning-board/

It bothers me that retail is still such a footnote in this conversation. Hopefully the group's final proposal will seriously address the lack of shopping options.

Group works on ideas to bring greatness to city's core

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-downtown-orlando-future-20140613,0,2259358.story

Duh...they are saying what we already now..... Solution is revamp of downtown development board...hire someone that has retails experience, someone that actually works, create retails task force, and recruit people. Sitting around and wait for apple to drop would not work

Retail will be a natural outcome of increased downtown residential density. People do not follow retail; retail follows people.  The committee is focusing on what it can do to make downtown more livable. Retailers themselves will make the call on when it's profitable to move downtown.

Exactly.  :thumbsup:

Retail will be a natural outcome of increased downtown residential density. People do not follow retail; retail follows people.  The committee is focusing on what it can do to make downtown more livable. Retailers themselves will make the call on when it's profitable to move downtown.

And yet, downtown Orlando's population has increased since the early 1990s when there was a substantial amount of retail at the Exchange and Church Street Market.

• Like 1

Downtown Miami has populations and no retails till recently. Now they r building malls downtown. Populations in downtown orlando probably not even close to downtown Miami ten years ago. Winter park has retails, Fort Lauderdale has retails. Orlando just has revolving restaurants and bars. Retails are not going to jump into downtown orlando if there are no one to create a retail master plan for them. Downtown dto is saying all the stuff we already know. We don't need a task force that tell us what we don't have. We need a task force that will function and figure a way to get things done.

• Like 1

It will get there. The problem for us, is that people outside of downtown do not need to come here. We have some of the best malls/shopping in the country. 

As these in-town neighborhoods keep improving, it will have spillover effect of improving the core. Those residents will be more likely to shop downtown. 

And of course, we need or shopping to entice people to shop downtown! Where is Spencer's hardware store? We are one or two stores away from an explosion. One drug store, and one hardware store and the rest will follow. 

Here's our recap of the major themes that were discussed: http://bungalower.com/2014/06/project-dto-wants-improve-transitconnectivity-open-spaces-identity-downtown/

And the list of ALL the opportunities identified by each committee: http://bungalower.com/2014/06/project-dto-identifies-opportunities-downtown-orlando/

Here's our recap of the major themes that were discussed: http://bungalower.com/2014/06/project-dto-wants-improve-transitconnectivity-open-spaces-identity-downtown/

And the list of ALL the opportunities identified by each committee: http://bungalower.com/2014/06/project-dto-identifies-opportunities-downtown-orlando/

• Encouragement of great architectural buildings, especially a modern museum of art with innovative architectural design.

Woah, is this a possibility? Is there an effort to build a modern art museum downtown?

^^

that costs money (great architectural buildings).

I'm all about development, but look at some of the Ustler buildings lately:  GAI, 801 N. Orange, and the design of the Residence Inn.  All of these are getting built, but the materials they are using are cheap: precast in some cases and painted concrete plates.

So, anything is possible if there's money available.

I would not call precast cheap. It is a very good material in my opinion. Some of the buildings labeled as using precast may not be precast but some other type that mimics the look. 

For a significant building, we need the government, or some rich business owner to develop a structure. I don't see any governments around here stepping up, we are a cheap state. That leaves a fortune 500 type business. 

Edited by jack