Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

I would not call precast cheap. It is a very good material in my opinion. Some of the buildings labeled as using precast may not be precast but some other type that mimics the look. 

For a significant building, we need the government, or some rich business owner to develop a structure. I don't see any governments around here stepping up, we are a cheap state. That leaves a fortune 500 type business. 

I've got that opinion of precast from actual commercial builders that I know.  GAI was a joke b/c the because was concrete precast slabs that were painted (to be fair, see 55W).  Another tragedy was the owner of The Plaza leaving the garage unfinished for a few years until they coated it with something.  It still looks like c-rap.

The CNL buildings, however, look great.

On that note, I give kudos to Universal and Loews Hotels for using terrazzo floors in the lobby of Cabana Bay, which was supposed to be a discount-type property.  Based on what I've seen after having gone there maybe 5 times now, they did a great job with the interior and pool decks.  kudos.

So, as of today, here's what's u/c in downtown (and near downtown):

1.  DPAC

2.  NORA

3.  Crescent Central Station

4.  420 Church St. (almost/ fence is up)

5.  800 N. Orange

6.  Residence Inn (SR 50 & Orange)

7.  Citrus Bowl renovations

8.  ORHS ER

9.  ORHS Bed tower

10.  ORHS- hotel/ Hampton Inn?

11.  FH Women's Hospital

12.  FH- The Ivey

13.  FH- Biomed/??? building

14.  FH- parking deck

15.  Lymmo Lime Line

Anything else?

Recently completed:

1.  Skyhouse tower

2.  Steelhouse

3.  FH HQ bldg

4.  George C. Young Fed Bldg renovation & public plaza

5.  Downtown arts initiative art sculptures

6.  Lynx Central Sunrail Sta.

7.  FH Sunrail Sta.

8.  ORHS Sunrail Sta.

9.  Church St. Sunrail Sta.

10.  Lymmo Grapefruit(?) Line

Edited by jrs2
  • Like 1

How'd I miss this...I drove past the East side of Orange between Wall Street and Central and they're ripped the face off of several buildings...what's going on?

post-26482-0-89901300-1403584996_thumb.j

From April's HPB Agenda; They're eliminating 2 of the 3 doorways, in order to have one main entrance. I've always thought the segmented facades were a part of it's appeal, albeit they are a little small and cramped inside. The owners are probably allowed to get away with the modification because the facades are not original. As a side note, the building was built in 1907 and the original owner, Charles Rock, was a baker from Czechoslovakia. I never knew the building had been around for so long....

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 1

attachicon.gifRockBakeryBuilding.jpg

From April's HPB Agenda; They're eliminating 2 of the 3 doorways, in order to have one main entrance. I've always thought the segmented facades were a part of it's appeal, albeit they are a little small and cramped inside. The owners are probably allowed to get away with the modification because the facades are not original. As a side note, the building was built in 1907 and the original owner, Charles Rock, was a baker from Czechoslovakia. I never knew the building had been around for so long....

I was wondering what was going on there as well. So basically combining the two smaller bars into one. After this, it will just be Wall Street Cantina and Monkey Bar/Waitiki from the old Wall St remaining as everything else has been changed.

Edited by Pete C

Mayor Buddy and the folks at DTO.com will be at Wall St. Plaza tomorrow (Wed 6/25) from 11:30am- 1:30pm to hear ideas and gather public input - free DTO t-shirts too!

Please be there if you can and pretend you're in "The Graduate" or Tim Russert with a whiteboard. The only difference: instead of "plastics" or "FLORIDA FLORIDA FLORIDA" the word to say over and over again until no one wants to hear it anymore is RETAIL! RETAIL! RETAIL!

Hope to see a great turnout from the regular UP posters and all of our lurkers, too!

http://projectdto.com/middaymingle/

• Like 1

Does anybody know when the last little chunk of Uptown will be developed. I work in the area and would love to see a highrise go in.

rwqan6.png

Edit: And I'm not referring to 800 N. Orange which is already under construction, but rather the property between Colonial and Park Lake. 

Edited by OrlFlaUsa

Does anybody know when the last little chunk of Uptown will be developed. I work in the area and would love to see a highrise go in.

rwqan6.png

Edit: And I'm not referring to 800 N. Orange which is already under construction, but rather the property between Colonial and Park Lake. 

Welcome to the forums, OrlFlaUsa!

The project slated for that area is The Sevens, scheduled to break ground this summer. Here's a profile from The Bungalower.  http://bungalower.com/2013/12/sevens-building-break-ground-spring/

rwqan6.png

Glad you made your way over here OrlFlaUsa! This forum is awesome. CD is a waste of energy.

• Like 2

Welcome to the forums, OrlFlaUsa!

The project slated for that area is The Sevens, scheduled to break ground this summer. Here's a profile from The Bungalower.  http://bungalower.com/2013/12/sevens-building-break-ground-spring/

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the information. I'll take pictures of the progress since I work in the 801 building. It's not the highrise I was hoping for, but all things considered, it will complete the "urban wall" from Ivanhoe to Colonial if I'm not mistaken. 

^^

The Sevens will be such a grand property once that gets built.  It will be awesome for just so many reasons. These empty tracts of land really need to get filled in asap.  they are really hindering the synergy from blossoming.  the "urban wall" being one of its primary components.

once these few projects u/c and some of these other current proposals get built, downtown will be so much better.  then, newer taller projects should come down the pipeline to add to that new density.

Edited by jrs2

Glad you made your way over here OrlFlaUsa! This forum is awesome. CD is a waste of energy.

I've been here for many years, just lurking and then returning to an old habit that I just can't seem to shake. What I like here is that instead of bickering about Orlando vs this, or Orlando sucks because, people actually talk about what's going on/should go on, etc. 

Anyways, always nice to see a familiar face when joining a new forum. 

• Like 2

Sorry it took so long but finally got the details on the new lift station going in instead of the rowhomes....the renderings aren't half bad for a lift station :)

http://bungalower.com/2014/06/city-purchases-mills-south-street-rowhome-property-lift-station/

not bad, any idea on whats planned for the old lift station?

Sorry it took so long but finally got the details on the new lift station going in instead of the rowhomes....the renderings aren't half bad for a lift station :)

http://bungalower.com/2014/06/city-purchases-mills-south-street-rowhome-property-lift-station/

There goes the neighborhood.  Thanks for the follow up article.  I think this is a huge mistake.  They could just do a land swap with the expressway folks and put it directly next to the existing lift station instead.

If you look at Google satellite view, you can see that in the downtown quadrant including Eola South and Uptown etc., that there are at least 23 different multi-unit residential complexes or towers with pools.  NORA which is still U/C makes it 24 and Crescent will make it 25.  420 Church which is also u/c will make it 26.

That's not too shabby.  It does not include hotels.