Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

hmm...pedestrian bridge doesnt work. It is a 80 products. There are plenty of pedestrian bridges back in my home town. After awhile, it becomes an area for homeless, beggers and encourage crimes especially during non-peak hours. City planners want to remove them and focus on the street level crossing.

Pedestrin bridge at Lake Mary are seldom use. On top of that, you can still cross the street at the street level. I would not walk that extra miles to cross the street. Just my opinion.

On the side note, I read about Getrude walk on the interweb and didnt realized that it was actually a grand boulevard for downtown Orlando before the rail lines that it over. For whatever walk ways that are left there, I would like them to copy what NYC did for the Highlines and make it into an attration for downtown Orlando. Maybe make it into a loop with the I-4 underpass.

Several pedestrian bridges are needed over Colonial.  If the 408 was not a toll way we could get people off Colonial and set normal stop light timing.  As a runner, it's very annoying to have to wait over 3 minutes for a signal change and this long delay encourages people to make unsafe crossing of Colonial.  The stupid request buttons on the stop lights do nothing to assist pedestrians or make the signals change any faster.  Since I'm on a roll..another annoyance is the sequence of stop lights on Rosalind/Magnolia.  If you catch the light at Anderson heading north, you can make every light only to have it change right before you get to Colonial and wait and wait and wait...  Enough ranting.

I don't want to be the Negative Nelly on this, and I agree totally with praha that this site screams for development. I, do, however, like to look at the track record of any group that takes on something as complex as a Class A tower.

Some things to keep in mind:

The principal, Byron Sutton, seems to be most notable for his carrer in the military, not what he's done since.

The organization is not a developer, just a non-profit "trade association"

If you go to their website, there is precious little information about exactly what they do and the info on the proposed building still shows the Ivanhoe site.

These folks have been singing this song since, um, 1990, and not a shovelful of dirt turned yet. Also, it's fascinating that during all these years, other than periodic announcements about a new tower, we hear virtually nothing about these folks in the local community. I ask myself, why is that? Also, the Diocese's silence is interesting. If I recall correctly, they were somewhat more forthcoming on the post office project. Given this will have quite an effect on parking for the Cathedral, if this is so close to moving ahead, I'd expect soothing words for the parishioners (as a longtime member of a downtown church, I know there is nothing more scary than little old church ladies worried about where they'll park for Sunday services).

Given that less than half of all projects announced ever see the light of day, I'm voting "NO GO" on this one. If I'm wrong, I have my Panama hat ready for marinating for a meal. Meanwhile, I think other projects are much more likely.

This is what I posted with the last version of this back in 2012. Guess what? It's still an empty lot. Just like the previous iterations of World Trade Center Orlando - have you seen those towering in the sky anywhere? OK, so what's changed to believe them this time? We have a new name, Encore Enterprises. Precious little info to come by in the PDF above, but a quick bit of research leads us to a "real estate" firm in Dallas. Again, I always like to see what background a firm has to make something like this happen. Well.... if this Dallas firm is indeed the outfit in question, it has 1, yes one, high-rise in its portfolio. And it seems to have purchased it, not developed it. That's hardly a ringing endorsement. But, let's move on. Are they affiliated with the same group from before (I have lots of fascinating little tidbits on them if anyone's interested). Are they franchising the name? Why so little information? 

A previous poster says this is happening. I can't wait for more information - let's remember that generally a new building downtown is greeted by all sorts of hoopla - here we have crickets. As of today, I'm still a "NO GO", as I have been continuously since 1999, and I haven't been wrong on "World Trade Center Orlando" yet. 

Oh, and just for fun, check out the offices of the real estate firm that seems to have posted this fine piece. 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

The World Trade Center will be built shortly after Steve Walsh is resurrected and builds Tradition Towers. Seriously, please check the past of the fellow behind it.

I agree. I don't need to check the website of the company to know that this is probably unlikely. 

• Like 1

Just colonial....we have a map in our original story on Bungalower -->> http://bungalower.com/2014/03/colonial-drive-pedestrian-bridge-to-connect-urban-trail-to-downtowns-gertrudes-walk/

As of that time they didn't have the money yet for phase 4.

I still can't figure out what is proposed where.  So phase 2 and 3 are under construction?  Are there any detailed maps showing the locations?  The City maps aren't even clear enough to determine which side of the rail line the walkway is located.

hmm...pedestrian bridge doesnt work. It is a 80 products. There are plenty of pedestrian bridges back in my home town. After awhile, it becomes an area for homeless, beggers and encourage crimes especially during non-peak hours. City planners want to remove them and focus on the street level crossing.

Pedestrin bridge at Lake Mary are seldom use. On top of that, you can still cross the street at the street level. I would not walk that extra miles to cross the street. Just my opinion.

On the side note, I read about Getrude walk on the interweb and didnt realized that it was actually a grand boulevard for downtown Orlando before the rail lines that it over. For whatever walk ways that are left there, I would like them to copy what NYC did for the Highlines and make it into an attration for downtown Orlando. Maybe make it into a loop with the I-4 underpass.

I would agree that pedestrian bridges placed at intersections that already have traffic signals are frequently bypassed by people traveling by foot (who wants to go up al those stairs when there's a short cut?).  That said, I think this bridge is an absolutely necessary piece of the urban trail concept - connecting gertude's walk to the dinky line - even via several blocks of sidewalk in uptown - will be huge. That would mean having a bike/running trail that connects Mead Garden, Lock Haven park, Mills Market, Ivanhoe District, Gandy park/Lake Ivanhoe, the cluster of uptown condo/apts, across the wall that is Colonial Drive, down to the Sunrail/Lnyx stations, and further down to the Church St/Amway Center/Soccer stadium area.  Not only would it provide a great route for a ton of urban dwelling runners/cyclists tired of circling Lake Eola 9 times versus waiting for lights every block, it would create a path to several of the city's less utilized gems (Lockhaven park, ivanhoe shopping), and connect the Uptown hive that will have practically 1,000 units in several square blocks in a couple of years to the rest of downtown.

I would agree that pedestrian bridges placed at intersections that already have traffic signals are frequently bypassed by people traveling by foot (who wants to go up al those stairs when there's a short cut?).  That said, I think this bridge is an absolutely necessary piece of the urban trail concept - connecting gertude's walk to the dinky line - even via several blocks of sidewalk in uptown - will be huge. That would mean having a bike/running trail that connects Mead Garden, Lock Haven park, Mills Market, Ivanhoe District, Gandy park/Lake Ivanhoe, the cluster of uptown condo/apts, across the wall that is Colonial Drive, down to the Sunrail/Lnyx stations, and further down to the Church St/Amway Center/Soccer stadium area.  Not only would it provide a great route for a ton of urban dwelling runners/cyclists tired of circling Lake Eola 9 times versus waiting for lights every block, it would create a path to several of the city's less utilized gems (Lockhaven park, ivanhoe shopping), and connect the Uptown hive that will have practically 1,000 units in several square blocks in a couple of years to the rest of downtown.

Exactly.  Living at 55W, it's so annoying having Gertrude's Walk right there, but then after 4 blocks it just stops, so then you have to jaunt down 3 blocks over to Rosalind.  Connecting the path all the way to the Urban Trail is huge.

^^

I'm a little dense right now.  So, y'all don't think the WTCO is a viable project then?

I read the specs; minimum 5,000 sq ft per unit for $10k/mo rent.  wow.  who will lease that?  banks?  large law firms?  that's a lot of cheddar.

I still can't figure out what is proposed where.  So phase 2 and 3 are under construction?  Are there any detailed maps showing the locations?  The City maps aren't even clear enough to determine which side of the rail line the walkway is located.

All of the dashed line is funded...nothing is actually under construction yet.

The dotted line is not funded.

It will all be on the east side of the tracks when it's north of Colonial. (not 100% sure but that is my understanding).

Very excited for the trail. Like others have said, it won't be used by people crossing the street (and that a GREAT thing if you want retail to succeed) but this is a useful trail for bicycle commuters and recreational users alike.

Cadg way on 436 is popular among cyclists and runners and not used by the Full Sail kids who play frogger. No problem with that.

Loopnet for WTCO: http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/18688631/400-North-Orange-Avenue-Orlando-FL/?LinkCode=10850&SourceCode=1lww2t006a00001&fb_action_ids=10203031534380686&fb_action_types=og.recommends&fb_source=aggregation&fb_aggregation_id=288381481237582

If they really plan on building at the end of the year, it's strange that we haven't seen anything in the city planning board meetings and a permit check for 400 N Orange only shows Crescent's work

• Like 1

It may be confusing because it is BS. Inconsistencies, it does not show that the block is being developed, and $26 is too low for a new building. 

Oh, and the ped connection is really cool and I will use it when I walk to Uptown/ North Quarter/ Midtown. 

• Like 1

Don't know where else to put this, so I apologize if this little rant belongs elsewhere.  

One of the main reasons I moved out of downtown to south of downtown was cemented for me yesterday when I had an appointment for work in Lake Ivanhoe-ish and headed back down to ORMC.  There was work going on at DPAC and Orange was closed.  Unfortunately you couldn't tell that until you were a block or two away and more or less trapped for 10 minutes until you could creep along and turn either way just before the close. 

The only warning was a sign announcing lane thinning, not closing, and it was only 3 or 4 blocks away.  No info sign at, say, Colonial that Orange would be closed periodically for construction.  Nothing at Livingston, nothing at Robinson, nothing at Central.  Just all of a sudden, at rush our, the main S route directly through DT gone.  So either the planners here know the city is so small time that doing that doesn't really inconvenience many people (the overwhelming impression of outsiders from speaking to others "Really, you actually had a chance to slow down and SEE downtown Orlando?!? You should have enjoyed it!"), or the powers that be are less than competent to run a "real" downtown - which we may actually have someday - and that the design joke that central station is shows we have a long way to go before we have one.

This was a regular (probably still is) happening on weekends at bar close times too, only then multiple streets would close making it necessary to figure out, and then memorize and then ALWAYS use the one single route that could get you home (to the Solaire) if you happened to be out after dark on any weekend day.  (I'd actually be all for a long street downtown to be permanently closed to auto traffic to act as a pedestrian artery for these times, and as a central promenade or mall.)

The TNPK Authority is building an exit at Minneola.  Hancock Road is supposed to be extended by lake County north about 2-3 miles to connect to that exit, which would be about 3-4 miles NE of downtown Clermont.

This is good b/c it gives great access to the TNPK for residents who want to avoid to SR 50 interchange; it also validates the growth the region has experienced over the past decade.

Don't know where else to put this, so I apologize if this little rant belongs elsewhere.  

One of the main reasons I moved out of downtown to south of downtown was cemented for me yesterday when I had an appointment for work in Lake Ivanhoe-ish and headed back down to ORMC.  There was work going on at DPAC and Orange was closed.  Unfortunately you couldn't tell that until you were a block or two away and more or less trapped for 10 minutes until you could creep along and turn either way just before the close. 

The only warning was a sign announcing lane thinning, not closing, and it was only 3 or 4 blocks away.  No info sign at, say, Colonial that Orange would be closed periodically for construction.  Nothing at Livingston, nothing at Robinson, nothing at Central.  Just all of a sudden, at rush our, the main S route directly through DT gone.  So either the planners here know the city is so small time that doing that doesn't really inconvenience many people (the overwhelming impression of outsiders from speaking to others "Really, you actually had a chance to slow down and SEE downtown Orlando?!? You should have enjoyed it!"), or the powers that be are less than competent to run a "real" downtown - which we may actually have someday - and that the design joke that central station is shows we have a long way to go before we have one.

This was a regular (probably still is) happening on weekends at bar close times too, only then multiple streets would close making it necessary to figure out, and then memorize and then ALWAYS use the one single route that could get you home (to the Solaire) if you happened to be out after dark on any weekend day.  (I'd actually be all for a long street downtown to be permanently closed to auto traffic to act as a pedestrian artery for these times, and as a central promenade or mall.)

It does seem like bad planning. I knew it was coming so i adjusted. And don't get me started with closing the streets every night. 

Orange is closed between South and Anderson for 3 weeks.  This has been advertised on the local news, on Bungalower, on digital signs on Orange, and all over I-4.  I think the city did a perfectly fine job attempting to inform people of this for the past month.

I will say that the part about closing down Orange and parts of Central and other on weekends after bar close is.... well, depends on if I'm drinking or not!  When I'm walking back to 55W, I love that I don't have to worry about traffic.  However, if I went out to some of the bars on Mills or Ivanhoe... yeah it is extremely inconvenient.  With that said, I live in an urban tower.  I expect to be inconvenienced when it comes to automobiles.  Typically I bike or Uber (now), simply to not deal with it... which is what an urbanist would prefer.