Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

58 minutes ago, castorvx said:

Wow, this place will be a bigger attraction than I realized:

• 250 new jobs
  • 2 venues (The Barn and The Backyard)
  • 3 eateries (with additional stage)
  • 3 motor-centric tenants (TBD)
  • Coffee shop (will open at 6:30am with breakfast menu)
  • Oklahoma Joe's BBQ restaurant

OBJ is reporting a $39M expansion at Orlando Lutheran Towers.

There's not much information on what this would look like. The article says it will be expanded and renovated, but as far as I can tell, they don't have much room go grow.Citi Tower and 420 fill the final phases of the OLT PD, except for a small area between to the 2007 Lutheran Towers project (about half of its size) and Star Tower along Mariposa.  If that is the location of this project, it would make a real difference in that block with the completion of 420 to the north.

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2016/04/orlando-lutheran-towers-plans-39m-expansion.html?ana=e_du_pub&s=article_du&ed=2016-04-26&u=v6E2Kcfvg4lCivcnar7xLw075166cd&t=1461706623&j=72687492

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JFW657 said:

For $39 million, it can't be very big.

I'll be interested in seeing more details. That's what Ustler's recent projects come in at - $38M for Ivy at Florida Hospital, $34M for GAI. I wonder how much of it is renovation and how much is expansion, though. And a medical building will cost more than straight apartments or offices.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, smileguy said:

OBJ is reporting a $39M expansion at Orlando Lutheran Towers.

There's not much information on what this would look like. The article says it will be expanded and renovated, but as far as I can tell, they don't have much room go grow.Citi Tower and 420 fill the final phases of the OLT PD, except for a small area between to the 2007 Lutheran Towers project (about half of its size) and Star Tower along Mariposa.  If that is the location of this project, it would make a real difference in that block with the completion of 420 to the north.

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2016/04/orlando-lutheran-towers-plans-39m-expansion.html?ana=e_du_pub&s=article_du&ed=2016-04-26&u=v6E2Kcfvg4lCivcnar7xLw075166cd&t=1461706623&j=72687492

I hope a lot of that will be exterior improvements too. It looks so terrible next to the new construction.

As some of you know, I've moved back to Central Florida after living 3+ years in Charlotte. So, I drove through downtown, today, for the first time in over three years.

I was crestfallen. What happened ? Yes, Uptown is impressive. And Phillips is swish. But the stretch of Orange between the county courthouse and Pine seemed half-empty. And homeless folks were camped out in front of empty storefronts.

Yes, I was aware that the CBD was becoming more and more of a late-night bar crowd destination. I just wasn't prepared for the amount of empty space.

Please tell me that Orange through downtown has hit bottom and is scratching its way back ?

• Like 1

The most significant thing to be built between let's say Concord (just south of SR 50) and Central is really the Central Station development at Amelia.  But it's surely on an island unto itself after 6PM and that stretch from Washington to Livingston is really dark and dreery.    The restaurant in Bank of America building hasn't been able to stay open and should be opening it's newest concept in early summer which could help.   

The Orlando Sentinel site redevelopment can't happen soon enough.   

I guess I don't understand.  I moved downtown a little over 3 years ago and in that time just off the top of my head along that stretch there's been added :

Central Station (replacing empty lot)
Demolition/Remodel of 250 N Orange
Saddle Up (replacing 3 empty storefronts)
Sideshow (replaced 2 smaller bars and restored some historic architecture)
Avenue (replacing empty storefront)
Underground (replaced Shakai which moved to Pine)
Dapper Duck (replace pizza place that was never open)

Is there a long way to go?  For sure.  Central Station needs some sort of icon on the other plot facing Orange, the Diocese needs to do something with that old gas station lot, as mentioned need something to bridge Jefferson and Livingston, and something needs developed on the prominent Orange/Pine lot... But otherwise that strip is actually the most successful we have.  The only thing that's gone in a negative direction is the BoA restaurant space.

1 hour ago, smileguy said:
22 hours ago, Dale said:

If it's improved since I left ... it must have been moribund. :o

I'm going to be in town again next week. I'll give it another perusal. But it seemed to be half-empty on the street level.

U must have been a night owl during your years here in Orlando. I say that only because at night downtown is packed with the party crowd. On another note once downtown UCF and Sunrail South open in 2018 a lot more ppl will be in downtown.

2 hours ago, smileguy said:

I have heard rumor that a cultural institution (not OMA) is looking to build near Orange and Robinson. Not sure of the timeline on this, but it could be a daytime destination catalyst along that strip.

Any other details to share on what type of institution?

On 5/4/2016 at 7:53 PM, Dale said:

As some of you know, I've moved back to Central Florida after living 3+ years in Charlotte. So, I drove through downtown, today, for the first time in over three years.

I was crestfallen. What happened ? Yes, Uptown is impressive. And Phillips is swish. But the stretch of Orange between the county courthouse and Pine seemed half-empty. And homeless folks were camped out in front of empty storefronts.

Yes, I was aware that the CBD was becoming more and more of a late-night bar crowd destination. I just wasn't prepared for the amount of empty space.

Please tell me that Orange through downtown has hit bottom and is scratching its way back ?

I can't really think of empty storefronts along Orange. From Washington to Church its almost completely filled everywhere. Barney's space will soon be filled again (by an existing downtown restaurant I hear), and the Valencia building is under construction to be turned into retail. Other than that I'm blanking on what is available to rent. Lord knows I've been trying to find something in that stretch and it just isn't available. We're even seeing the stretch beyond Washington start to fill in with Hubbly Bubbly going in.