Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

These cheap-o constructed little fast food buildings are easily torn down, so if something worthwhile ever decides it wants to occupy that corner, it won't be a big deal. Better to have something there helping to attract people other than an empty grass lawn.

Would be nice to see a connected adjacent tower with some kind of fancy-shmancy corner treatment go up there, but who am I kidding?

2 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

These cheap-o constructed little fast food buildings are easily torn down, so if something worthwhile ever decides it wants to occupy that corner, it won't be a big deal. Better to have something there helping to attract people other than an empty grass lawn.

Would be nice to see a connected adjacent tower with some kind of fancy-shmancy corner treatment go up there, but who am I kidding?

This is not the lawn, this is the back of the main Southern Bank building replacing the old bank drive thru.

250norange.PNG

That's my understanding.  From the MPB:

The site consist of an abandoned banking drive-through and office/commercial space with four (4) covered concrete drive-through lanes and 72 on-site parking spaces. The property is accessed through an ingress/egress off Robinson St. The applicant is proposing to renovate and relocate the existing drive-through south (away from the Robinson St. curb cut) to facilitate a casual dining eating and drinking establishment and financial institution. The 130,164 sq. ft. commercial/office building will house offices, eating and drinking, and banking (light retail) establishments. The existing covered drive-through lanes will be removed, relocated, and replaced with two (2) drive aisles; one for banking and one for an eating and drinking facility. Additional parking will be added on the south side of the property. The site work will be completed in one phase.

http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2015/06/MPBStaffReport2015-06_CUP2015-00005andAddendum.pdf

On May 13, 2016 at 5:08 PM, UngaBungalow said:

The Fiat is going to be a brewery :)

This is great news. Although it's yet another drinking establishment, it has the possibilty of attracting a more mature demographic. The demographics of downtown Orlando at nighttime have become scary in the last few years - it's becoming like Memphis. Establishments like this hopefully steer it back to more inviting to everyone.

2 hours ago, GTR said:

This is great news. Although it's yet another drinking establishment, it has the possibilty of attracting a more mature demographic. The demographics of downtown Orlando at nighttime have become scary in the last few years - it's becoming like Memphis. Establishments like this hopefully steer it back to more inviting to everyone.

Yeah, and the location of this brewery is near The Courtesy, The Woods, and Elixir...all places that cater to a more mature audience.

FDOT committed $3.5 million in funding for the "Bridge District" park under the new I-4.  Only problem is, they say this won't even start until the Ultimate I-4 project is done.  Don't know how this works exactly, but couldn't they phase things with the DT portion of I-4 Ultimate and start it earlier?  Would be a shame to wait 5 years when the other stuff like the soccer stadium, UCF, and maybe rest of Creative Village and Magic Entertainment Complex could start earlier.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/politics/os-interstate-4-bridge-district-vote-under-i-20160523-story.html

• Like 1

Yeah, agreed, the quoted timetable is underwhelming, but good news is they have an agreement on the land and a start on the funding. It's a start!  I hope they can get this going earlier with some more funding and acceleration of the Ultimate project in DT.  Theoretically, this project could start earlier if the DT section is completed before the whole I-4 Ultimate project is built out.   

You guys are so negative tonight, haha. We have A: Land Rights and B: Initial Funding. . . I am just joshin' you all but usually it's opposite on UP with a rendering and No Money Mo Problems speculation fantasies. I might be too old to use this park by the time it eventually happens, but I definitely like the idea and the ever so slow progress to eventually make it happen.

2 hours ago, Dale said:

Sorry if I missed it, but is anything slated for the grassy lot across from the courthouse ? Rida phase II ?

Eventually I'm sure, but when is anybody's guess.

This being Orlando, that portion could sit empty for another 30 years like the rest of the parcel did.