Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

I guess we don't have an Ultimate I-4 thread, but going with the discussion on other threads and regarding the height of the bridge district et. al and that the project will be on going for a good while, perhaps we should have one. And has nothing to do with me being a flyover fan boi. 

But yesterday I noticed them cutting support I beams that had been driven into the ground by South Street at a level that is short of the new eastbound section. This morning I saw they had also cut the tops of the cladding squares (? not sure of the proper name of the concrete pieces that wall in the earthen ramps) so that what ever is going on that looks like the same height as the current westbound. The Ultimate I-4 website just has the same cgi renderings it has had for awhile. Any new plans out there to get a better feel of what will be both in the interim and final?

Question for people smarter than I am -

With all of the townhome projects popping up, is there a place for corner stores?   Small anomolies like Handy Pantry and Coffee Garden are gems - does it make sense for someone building a modest townhome project to incorporate retail on the 1st floor of a unit of on a corner?

• Like 1

It's always risky to have mixed-use developments, since you have to try to respond to a market for (in this case) both residential and commercial. For a small project, like townhomes, adding commercial would be risky because if it fails, you loose a good chunk of your income. I would say the best bet for a corner store would be a stand-alone building (would love this for a building like 323 E Church St) or as part of a larger development (520 Church Street).

Agreed.  I have a second home and girlfriend in Charlotte and am always amazed at how many old buildings they have recycled for new uses.  

BTW - Charlotte has a second adjacent Skyhouse going up.  Wonder if we will ever see that.  Thought I heard mention of it being a possibility going up across Rosaland at one time.  

1 hour ago, Dale said:

Charlotte, NC is the largest city in the world commonly confused for Charleston, SC. Are you guys sure you didn't go there instead ?

I was thinking the same thing. Charlotte is a "new south" city by any measure. There is so very little left of its historic past, especially when you compare it to other NC, SC, and VA cities. I work in Durham/Raleigh and Wilmington often and found those cities much more historical.

Edited by prahaboheme

1 hour ago, HankStrong said:

I wasn't confusing it.  I have family in Charleston, so I'm quite familiar with that.

That part was a joke. Sort of. Incredibly, some still ask me if Charlotte is in South Carolina. When I correct them, they allow that they were thinking of Charleston.

Plans filed for new downtown Orlando hotel next to Dr. Phillips Center

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-magnolia-hotel-downtown-orlando-20160729-story.html

Plans filed with Orlando officials call for the construction of a 10-story hotel across the street from Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts. 

The downtown property, which would have 126 rooms, would be called Magnolia Hotel. It would be built at the intersection of Magnolia Avenue and East Anderson Street on a plot of land about a quarter-acre big.

"The purpose of the proposed development is to introduce a contemporary urban hotel and full-service restaurant onto an underutilized, infill site directly south of the Dr. Phillps Center," the application reads.

• Like 2

Yeah, I don't like the architecture that much from the one rendering, though the balcony on the second floor looks cool. Looking forward to updated renderings of this project and more details.  I like it better than the one slapped on the plaza in front of DPAC though. From what I have seen, the City owns the land in front of DPAC for that plaza and in recent months has said they may not want to develop that as they had envisioned in the past.  Dyer said he thinks it works well as a park, and after events held there including the president visiting and the makeshift memorial after the Pulse tragedy, I would think they may keep it as an open plaza for a while.

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2