Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

1 hour ago, alex said:

That would be too bad since it's one of the few older (i.e. affordable) places downtown. Just looked at Urbanista and you can buy a 1/1 for $110,000 or rent a 1/1 for $1,150. 

That said, it's definitely a prime lot... 

Those units aren't upgraded and they don't come with a view - upgrades to the interior & Lake Eola views will come at a higher price. But you're right, the Met is one of the few affordable condo's in our downtown core in line with Orlando's average income. I'd compare the Metropolitan to the Grande in affordability, although the Met is poured concrete while the Grande is wood frame.

Edited by nite owℓ

So the Metropolitan might be redeveloped? Can't say I'll miss this one because it is anti-urban in many ways, and pretty much any new development would be an improvement.

If it gets redeveloped, whatever going in there should have ground level retail on Washington and Rosalind (especially Rosalind), and do a better job of addressing Palmetto Ave - instead of letting it continue to be a sad alleyway, let it be street it's supposed to be. Jefferson Street should also be extended to Rosalind with a traffic light there to improve the connectivity to Lake Eola. Now imagine if they built the Tradition Towers on that site...

Though I'm betting nothing happens and what you heard were just rumors and that the Metropolitan is here to stay.

Per Growthspotter - new proposal - "Broadstone Lake House"  - was going to make separate thread but they haven't even closed on land yet...

Address: 301 N. Ivanhoe Blvd

a 288-unit multifamily tower with an estimated 39,000 square feet of live/work space on the ground floor

1/2 block west of The Yard at Ivanhoe

The plans currently include 167 one-, 82 two- and 39 three-bedroom units  (could change)

Integrated 9 story parking deck

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jernigan said:

Per Growthspotter - new proposal - "Broadstone Lake House"  - was going to make separate thread but they haven't even closed on land yet...

Address: 301 N. Ivanhoe Blvd

a 288-unit multifamily tower with an estimated 39,000 square feet of live/work space on the ground floor

1/2 block west of The Yard at Ivanhoe

The plans currently include 167 one-, 82 two- and 39 three-bedroom units  (could change)

Integrated 9 story parking deck

wow, this is a game changer for that corner 

Edited by UngaBungalow

1 hour ago, Jernigan said:

Baldwin Fairchild site

I was relieved to see it wasn't the lot of the pink Lake Ivanhoe Shores apartment complex--speaking of good, affordable rentals. Still, losing the Fairchild Chapel tower and sign would be sad. 

Great density and additional parking that complements The Yard well. This would further activate the area, and hopefully help the push for a Lymmo connection. But the design sure has a "Lake Lucerne Towers" look to it... 

I'm conflicted!!

gs-alliance-residential-plans-10-story-a

Regarding the Metropolitan...  It looks like the median sale price per square foot right now is $170.  So, 113,472 square feet x $170 = $19,290,240, or $231 per square foot of land area (83,466 square feet, or 1.916 acres).  That's way too high for downtown land.  I can't see it when the University Club developer just paid $6,585,000 for 54,253 SF, or $121.38 per SF.  At $121.38 per SF of land, that's $10,130,751, or $89.28 per SF of heated area.  That's a little over 50% of what buyers are paying right now.  Do you think all the unit owners would sell for around $0.50 on the dollar?

The converting developer paid $4,585,000 on 12/09/03.  The first sale of all 128 units totaled $22,928,000.  Sales were quick!  From May 4, 2005 through August 29, 2005 for 125 of 128 units.  Believe it or not, there are still 27 original unit owners, only two of which have a homestead exemption.

But I'd love to be proven wrong.  :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, orlandoguy said:

Is it safe to assume this is supposed to be NorthEAST Ivanhoe (current location of Baldwin-Fairchild), not NorthWEST (near the corner of Ivanhoe and Poinsettia in College Park)? I don't think there is simply a NORTH Ivanhoe ...

I didn't even realize this road existed.

3 hours ago, alex said:

I was relieved to see it wasn't the lot of the pink Lake Ivanhoe Shores apartment complex--speaking of good, affordable rentals. Still, losing the Fairchild Chapel tower and sign would be sad. 

Great density and additional parking that complements The Yard well. This would further activate the area, and hopefully help the push for a Lymmo connection. But the design sure has a "Lake Lucerne Towers" look to it... 

I'm conflicted!!

gs-alliance-residential-plans-10-story-a

My eyes! My eyes! 

• Like 1

I like the design. True it is shaped like Lucerne, but this has nice looking modern elements. It's better than 420 or Modera Central IMO. The ground-level pool exposed to the street is a little too old school though.

Edited by Pete C

22 minutes ago, Pete C said:

I like the design. True it is shaped like Lucerne, but this has nice looking modern elements. It's better than 420 or Modera Central IMO. The ground-level pool exposed to the street is a little too old school though.

Really? To me it looks like a cheap motel or a communist style housing complex. Not good looking at all. 

• Like 2

This one gets a big thumbs down.  I'm a big fan of The Yard.  It ads some urbanization and the developers went out of their way to make sure it fit the character of the neighborhood.  Even the Lucky Lure with its rusted corrugated roof looks right in place next to The Yard.  But here, just a' hundred yards away, this beast is an eyesore.  Its scale is totally out of whack with its surroundings. If I were an Ivanhoe village resident I'd start marches in protest.

10 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

Any new development here that replaces the historic Fairchild should incorporate the neon sign into the building and feature Art Deco design elements. Personally I would be sad to see this go.

I always thought I'd prefer to depart this mortal coil after a service at the Fairchild chapel - I really hope it can be repurposed if it will no longer be used for funerals. The mausoleum at Woodlawn Memorium is a similar architectural style but somewhat smaller (I wonder if the carillon is still in use). Sadly, the Woodlawn funeral home (added in the 1980's) outside the Memorial Park is undistinguished California Modern.