Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

i have to agree with you on that one. i always thought 528 was a little known highway; easy access to the beach, etc, etc...until i got trapped on it one day during rush hour. even with EPass, it's a nightmare. It's so outdated with only 4 lanes...yes, FOUR lanes...and that's the highway tourists mainly see when they visit Orlando...pathetic.

It's seriously overdue for an upgrade...I also think there are too many tolls on that road; heading west from 436, you're immediately dumped into a toll both. After you think it's over, there's yet another toll less than 3 miles away.

i have to agree with you on that one. i always thought 528 was a little known highway; easy access to the beach, etc, etc...until i got trapped on it one day during rush hour. even with EPass, it's a nightmare. It's so outdated with only 4 lanes...yes, FOUR lanes...and that's the highway tourists mainly see when they visit Orlando...pathetic.

It's seriously overdue for an upgrade...I also think there are too many tolls on that road; heading west from 436, you're immediately dumped into a toll both. After you think it's over, there's yet another toll less than 3 miles away.

The construction that you're beginning to see on the Beachline/528, west of the McCoy interchange -- including the TP overpass rebuilding -- is all a part of the Turnpike Enterprise's upgrades to 528. The first part is due to be 6 lanes between McCoy and the TP, with a new toll plaza being built there by Florida Mall. Ultimately, phase 2 will bring widening to the section of 528 between the TP and I-4.

TP Enterprise announcement

The construction that you're beginning to see on the Beachline/528, west of the McCoy interchange -- including the TP overpass rebuilding -- is all a part of the Turnpike Enterprise's upgrades to 528. The first part is due to be 6 lanes between McCoy and the TP, with a new toll plaza being built there by Florida Mall. Ultimately, phase 2 will bring widening to the section of 528 between the TP and I-4.

TP Enterprise announcement

great news.

but they should build a couple of flyover ramps there between TNPK and 528. what's there now is archaic.

I am liking the 528 West to MCO/436 north flyover. those loop de loops are horrible.

Does anyone know if there are any plans to fix the cluster***k on I-4 between Conroy and the Turnpike? Some afternoons the amount of traffic entering I-4 combined with the number of cars merging right to get onto the Turnpike causes a back-up nearly onto Conroy. And with the Ikea opening soon this will surely get worse.

And while I'm on the subject if the turnpike, and I know that the widening around I-4 isn't finished yet, are they planning to keep only one exit lane onto I-4? That can easily be a ten minute delay in the mornings. They have already graded and paved the "new" exit and it doesn't appear like they are going to add another lane. Is it possible that they are planning to move the I-4 west traffic to a new exit after the underpass?

Does anyone know if there are any plans to fix the cluster***k on I-4 between Conroy and the Turnpike? Some afternoons the amount of traffic entering I-4 combined with the number of cars merging right to get onto the Turnpike causes a back-up nearly onto Conroy. And with the Ikea opening soon this will surely get worse.

And while I'm on the subject if the turnpike, and I know that the widening around I-4 isn't finished yet, are they planning to keep only one exit lane onto I-4? That can easily be a ten minute delay in the mornings. They have already graded and paved the "new" exit and it doesn't appear like they are going to add another lane. Is it possible that they are planning to move the I-4 west traffic to a new exit after the underpass?

don't know. but what they need to do is build a flyover in the left lane for I-4 West to TNPK South traffic and forget about that double trumpet--- since there's no toll anyway to get on it, why keep that ridiculous ramp there? that's what's causing all the headaches.

• 2 weeks later...

On Saturday, August 18th, traffic along Pine Street from Orange Avenue to Rosalind Avenue will change from one-way EB to one-way WB. Court Avenue from Central to Pine will change from one-way NB to two-way traffic. The on street parking and freight zone will be removed.

Permanently?

Permanently?

Yes, you may remember that the City of Orlando put out information about congestion in downtown. It was published by the Sentinel a few months ago. They mentioned a top ten list and having Pine Street and Church Street one way in the same direction was hurting traffic flow. I want to know who thought that would be a good idea in the first place.

The issue about making Court Street 2 way has more to do with The Plaza garage access (I'm guessing on this, but that is the only substantial reason I can think of).

I agree completely, but a tourists impression won't prevent them from coming. People travel to Los Angeles every day and get sandwiched on subway trains in Midtown on a regular basis. It's just part of the experience. Savvy travelers would ask before hitting the road anyway.

Edited by mrh3

I wouldn't worry about the tourist. I once was stuck in beach traffic in Houston for 2 hours bumper to bumper and was absolutely driven mad. So what if the tourism see traffic. It's a city and it happens. I never like Houston that much anyway and I had even less reason to like it after that. What do you work for Rosen or something?

I wouldn't worry about the tourist. I once was stuck in beach traffic in Houston for 2 hours bumper to bumper and was absolutely driven mad. So what if the tourism see traffic. It's a city and it happens. I never like Houston that much anyway and I had even less reason to like it after that. What do you work for Rosen or something?

No, I don't work for Rosen and personally, I would love it if all the tourists stayed away from Orlando. I don't care if they like it here or not. Oh, and thanks for stating the obvious "it's a city and it happens". <_<

FYI, Greater Orlando is now covered by Google Maps' Street View.

very cool.

from the looks of the level on construction at The Paramount, I believe the images were taked shortly before the pour, which puts us at about Sept. 2006.

No, I don't work for Rosen and personally, I would love it if all the tourists stayed away from Orlando. I don't care if they like it here or not. Oh, and thanks for stating the obvious "it's a city and it happens". <_<

Sorry. I was feeling a little snarky that day...

very cool.

from the looks of the level on construction at The Paramount, I believe the images were taked shortly before the pour, which puts us at about Sept. 2006.

55W also matches up to pictures Tim posted in mid Sept 2006. So for anyone our taking a walk mid Sept of last year.... :rolleyes:

I always wondered what the google vehicle that takes the images looks like..i'm sure its completely unmarked and inconspicuous or we'd have a lot of "interesting" images of people on the streets. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

127312.jpg

that's the 441 ramp, right?

I don't know if people realize this, but 408 has been widened to 5 lanes heading EB from Orange all the way to the bridge at Lake Underhill, where it goes back to 3 lanes until they widen the bridge, which should start this month. The epass booth is being redone as we speak just east of the existing one where Orlando Exec and the OOCEA's new bldg. is.

they should have widened 408 to 8 lanes where it crosses I-4 from east to west and vice versa... I think they underestimated how many people will use 408 west of I-4.

there is. the article says it expires in 2 years and Mica is unsure if he'll push to extend it. i hope he does.

Had Mobility 20/20 included options to free up congestion on surface roads and options to convert the existing toll roads into freeways, then I would have voted "yes". As it was, however, toll lanes on I-4 is rediculous; especially when they want to use the money for more buses and "some light rail". Jeez... <_<

there is. the article says it expires in 2 years and Mica is unsure if he'll push to extend it. i hope he does.

Had Mobility 20/20 included options to free up congestion on surface roads and options to convert the existing toll roads into freeways, then I would have voted "yes". As it was, however, toll lanes on I-4 is rediculous; especially when they want to use the money for more buses and "some light rail". Jeez... <_<

It is distasteful, but I'm all for it. I hardly ever drive I-4 and when I do it's usually for work so I need to get somewhere in a hurry. Besides, just adding another regular lane each way really isn't going to help long term. It will fill up and slow down just as much as I-4 does now. And it's my understanding that I-4 thru Orlando will only get one more lane, ever, as part of DOT policy. Might as well make it count, and use the profits to get more people off the road.