Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

1 hour ago, orlandouprise said:

moved back to Charlotte Dale?

Hearing that they're coming back to Charlotte and that they are considering coming back to Charlotte. Not sure which. Since the ACC is coming back -- and the NCAA likely coming back -- I'm betting on the latter.

On 4/12/2017 at 3:52 PM, XpressEnterprise said:

Magic detail All Star game bid

Looks like they're looking to breakground this year on their entertainment complex, in order to win the All-Star bid. I thought we had a post about this topic, but couldn't find it. 

"looks like" and "looking to"

I love it.

I'm thinking that Sunrail begins service to OIA before this gets built.

10 hours ago, HankStrong said:

Is that the thread that got crapped on last week with all the fighting?

Thanks for this news.  Nothing like a potential big sporting event to get the ball rolling!

Ball rolling... was that intentional?

And I agree, the thread for the Magic Complex has displayed some poor sportsmanship recently.

I actually think this has traction. Garage recently demo'd, police headquarters complete, moving on the shelter getting relocated to the Colonial site. The gears are turning here. I am sure it will be less spectacular or quickly completed as we all want, but the smoke is here.  Is there fire?

Part of the confusion regarding the pylons is that many of us didn't realize that in addition to the "meaningless" decorative pylons along I-4, we would also be getting 90ft tall stand-alone markers which signify direct connections onto the Express Lanes. THAT'S what we were trying to figure out & it really wasn't apparent in the renderings unless you knew what to look for...

58f1fc428dd33_fdotflyer.thumb.jpg.8f68fea3709e6b1cd37a9b9a02607f6b.jpg58f1fc25a74e2_directconnectmarker.thumb.jpg.7096a4a449aa37477e708129cd174422.jpg

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 2

55West and 54 West sold to Blackstone for $105 mill. 

Interesting note in the growthspotter article

Foundry Commercial has been marketing two suites of 55 West office space for lease in the bridge over Church Street (8,677 SF) for the past six months, and took over listing the ground floor retail in March, said listing agent Gabriel de Jesus. 

The ground floor has 13,343 square feet available where Blackstone will accept office or retail tenants. Another 2,666 square feet is reserved for California Tortilla, which has invested close to $600,000 in recent months to fully build out the space, and is now negotiating with potential franchisees to operate the unit, vice president of franchise development Jim Tisack told GrowthSpotter. 

Seems like a weird model to build it out then hope to find a person to run it.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, codypet said:

See I saw that in the rendering and felt like that was considerably east of where the current pylon stands today.

Yeah, it's much more prominent in real life.  I don't really see the utility of this, but honestly, if the lighting is the same as the decorative pylons on the bridge and goes well with the fountains I'm OK with it. It's better than the half-assed, tiny, fake suspension bridge thingy on the 408 by the executive airport. 

Broadstone Lakehouse on Lake Ivanhoe was approved.  They scaled it back a little bit and changed the renderings and color scheme, but still a squatty 3 sided box with a courtyard.  Article in the Sentinel:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-lake-ivanhoe-apartments-new-plans-vote-20170417-story.html

and here is the MPB Report: http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2017/04/MPBStaffReport2017-04_MPL2017-00006andAddenRv.pdf

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2

Ace Cafe parking lot is paved, doesn't look anything like the renderings though. I remember seeing pavers and trees but it ended up just being a flat asphalt lot. Guess it works out better for car shows and motorcycles but it would of looked a bit better if they stuck with the original design.

FB_IMG_1492745239055.jpg

FB_IMG_1492745243227.jpg

FB_IMG_1492745234621.jpg

ace-roars-into-orlando.jpg

Edited by truebluecfl
  • Like 1

Likely because in the rendering they expected to have to do stormwater treatment in the parking lot or limit impervious area.   I suspect since the lot was considered impervious previously, they didn't have to do any of that.  Did those buildings on the south get built?  I think that's the barn on the SE corner.

I figured the parking lot probably wouldn't turn out like the rendering, but they could have done a regular brick lot. Asphalt's just so unappealing, but it was probably done to cut costs.

1 hour ago, codypet said:

Likely because in the rendering they expected to have to do stormwater treatment in the parking lot or limit impervious area.   I suspect since the lot was considered impervious previously, they didn't have to do any of that.  Did those buildings on the south get built?  I think that's the barn on the SE corner.

I think I read a while back that Ace Cafe was going to be done in 2 or 3 phases? I don't think that's the barn in the first picture by the way, it looks like it's the small building with the deck between the main cafe building and the barn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, truebluecfl said:

This is an interesting concept for that corner on Orange and Pine. I'd prefer the old design they had planned for this space, but then again a small urban park would be pretty nice.

IMG_20170424_174537.jpg

Not very shady.

Probably wouldn't be the most popular place in town to hang out in July and August.