Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

July ARB agenda is online.  Unfortunately I don't see any linked staff reports or images.  

http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2017/07/ARB2017-07AgendaDRAFT.pdf

Includes reviews of:

- Former Elk lodge across from Cityview near stadium.  Where the Pi Pizza is going

- Pet store at old Mama Bs

- Renovations of plaza at State complex on W Robinson

- Public art (sculpture) outside City Tower

- Sidewalk cafe seating at 131 N Orange (definitely needed for Hubbly Bubbly!) 

Edited by Jernigan
  • Like 4

I'm not sure which thread discusses the Magic Entertainment Complex.  But, with the news of Tremont Tower going forward and the 180 room AC Hotel by Marriott housed within, I wonder how this will affect the Magic's plans for their complex- at least for the hotel portion?

As for their office portion, I think they will be affected.  But what I think they should have planned on doing was build a tall office tower instead of a 6 story one; build it tall and build out the floors you need and leave the rest for later ala FH South's Ginzburg Tower.  Get some visibility and slap the seal of the team on the building.  Or put Fox Sports' logo on it if they're still part of the plan.

20 hours ago, Jernigan said:

July ARB agenda is online.  Unfortunately I don't see any linked staff reports or images.  

http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2017/07/ARB2017-07AgendaDRAFT.pdf

Includes reviews of:

- Former Elk lodge across from Cityview near stadium.  Where the Pi Pizza is going

- Pet store at old Mama Bs

- Renovations of plaza at State complex on W Robinson

- Public art (sculpture) outside City Tower

- Sidewalk cafe seating at 131 N Orange (definitely needed for Hubbly Bubbly!) 

It would be nice if whatever plans are in the works for the plaza between the state office buildings give it more access to the public. 

Both it and the US courthouse go out of their way to discourage interaction (and the soon to be demolished MJB/OPD never had any.) I know the courthouse in particular has security issues but that whole area screams, "go away!" and does nothing to encourage people to want to go over there. More's the pity given there's some amazing artwork in the courthouse.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

It would be nice if whatever plans are in the works for the plaza between the state office buildings give it more access to the public. 

Both it and the US courthouse go out of their way to discourage interaction (and the soon to be demolished MJB/OPD never had any.) I know the courthouse in particular has security issues but that whole area screams, "go away!" and does nothing to encourage people to want to go over there. More's the pity given there's some amazing artwork in the courthouse.

I've thought about going over there to the park area to check out the sculpture, but, even when driving by slowly, you get dirty looks from the security guards.  I can't say I blame them though.

• Like 1

What?  No explosion?

Sidenote I laugh at the thought of the news hyping up the implosion of the old OUC garage to the proportions that the old City Hall was going to be only for the result to be the decks falling down but the frame staying in place.

Edited by codypet

Would've been nice, but with CG, who needs to blow up an old building? Plus with the lack of tax incentive for motion picture/television production in Florida, no one wants to shoot here. (Thanks Gov. Scott. Guess he hasn't figured out a way to make money personally from it).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Last parking under I4 is history; urban park Under-I has to wait for I4 Ultimate completion; parking technology upgrades underway; 28000 parking spaces downtown?

Latest on parking in the core from the Sentinel:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-orlando-no-parking-under-interstate-4-story.html

I think there is a ton of parking but I would love to know how they got that number. Are they including like whole streets in the Thornton/Eola Heights area that you can park along? Private garages? I just don't think there are 28k metered and public garage spots.

13 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

I think there is a ton of parking but I would love to know how they got that number. Are they including like whole streets in the Thornton/Eola Heights area that you can park along? Private garages? I just don't think there are 28k metered and public garage spots.

I wondered that also - seemed like a huge number.

A coworker who attends mass at the Catholic church at Orange & Robinson said recently the parking lots for both the NW corner AND the NE corner will be moving forward soon. I noticed on my way in yesterday netted fencing had gone up too. Anyone know anything?

If it's true, I'm so bummed.

From Lake Ivanhoe south to SODO, there are around 36 pools downtown in multifamily projects, hotels, condo towers, etc.  In case anyone cares... 

Throw in Mills Park & The Ivy, and that's about 39 pools from FH South to SODO.  To me, that's lot for this type and size of a downtown.

Sorry to be so vague in my original post. I remember seeing previously in this thread someone mentioning the Catholic Diocese wanted to tear down the old bank teller drive-thru and resurface the entire lot. My coworker said the Diocese is moving forward with that project AND tearing down the gas station on the NE corner and paving over that for additional parking.

I just checked OCPA and see the Diocese doesn't own the old gas station lot, so I think she may have misheard for that corner specifically (unless the church is going to sublease it for parking or something).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jrs2 said:

From Lake Ivanhoe south to SODO, there are around 36 pools downtown in multifamily projects, hotels, condo towers, etc.  In case anyone cares... 

Throw in Mills Park & The Ivy, and that's about 39 pools from FH South to SODO.  To me, that's lot for this type and size of a downtown.

This seems like a non-sequitur, but I'll bite.  Why?  I didn't even consider an apartment if it didn't have a pool.  We have lots of housing in the urban core.

16 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

This seems like a non-sequitur, but I'll bite.  Why?  I didn't even consider an apartment if it didn't have a pool.  We have lots of housing in the urban core.

Yay!  Someone bit!

Exactly right.  Back when The Waverly was being pondered, before the late '90's, there was maybe 3 pools downtown; maybe 4.  Since then, it has sprung like Ron Jeremy to 39 or more. 

It's an indicator.  You expect to see this at beach condos everywhere you go; not so much in an inland city's downtown that isn't on any kind of navigable waterway.

I think that's pretty impressive and is tell tale on the residential dynamic downtown.

Also, included in that statistic, there are 5 rooftop pools downtown.  City of Miami has 9.  Tampa has 1.  I'm not talking parking pedestals.  That's also an indicator of the type of structures being built.