sunshine

Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

4959 posts in this topic

From Lake Ivanhoe south to SODO, there are around 36 pools downtown in multifamily projects, hotels, condo towers, etc.  In case anyone cares... 

Throw in Mills Park & The Ivy, and that's about 39 pools from FH South to SODO.  To me, that's lot for this type and size of a downtown.

Didn't they announce months ago they were going to demo the buildings on that property? I don't think any plans beyond that were announced.

Sorry to be so vague in my original post. I remember seeing previously in this thread someone mentioning the Catholic Diocese wanted to tear down the old bank teller drive-thru and resurface the entire lot. My coworker said the Diocese is moving forward with that project AND tearing down the gas station on the NE corner and paving over that for additional parking.

I just checked OCPA and see the Diocese doesn't own the old gas station lot, so I think she may have misheard for that corner specifically (unless the church is going to sublease it for parking or something).

2 people like this

I'd rather have the gas station stay as opposed to being turned into a parking lot. Such a misuse of a prime downtown corner.

3 people like this

5 hours ago, jrs2 said:

From Lake Ivanhoe south to SODO, there are around 36 pools downtown in multifamily projects, hotels, condo towers, etc.  In case anyone cares... 

Throw in Mills Park & The Ivy, and that's about 39 pools from FH South to SODO.  To me, that's lot for this type and size of a downtown.

This seems like a non-sequitur, but I'll bite.  Why?  I didn't even consider an apartment if it didn't have a pool.  We have lots of housing in the urban core.

16 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

This seems like a non-sequitur, but I'll bite.  Why?  I didn't even consider an apartment if it didn't have a pool.  We have lots of housing in the urban core.

Yay!  Someone bit!

Exactly right.  Back when The Waverly was being pondered, before the late '90's, there was maybe 3 pools downtown; maybe 4.  Since then, it has sprung like Ron Jeremy to 39 or more. 

It's an indicator.  You expect to see this at beach condos everywhere you go; not so much in an inland city's downtown that isn't on any kind of navigable waterway.

I think that's pretty impressive and is tell tale on the residential dynamic downtown.

Also, included in that statistic, there are 5 rooftop pools downtown.  City of Miami has 9.  Tampa has 1.  I'm not talking parking pedestals.  That's also an indicator of the type of structures being built.