Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

129730.jpg129729.jpg

"[On the left] is a view of the I-4 and SR 408 interchange as it looked one year ago. Today, the project has been under construction for eighteen month and many of the new features are easily seen from some of the offices in City Hall and the CNL Buildings. Below is a view of the progress for those whose offices are a little farther away."

"Seen at the top of this second photo is the new ramp from eastbound SR 408 to eastbound I-4, scheduled to open early in the spring 2008. The demolition of the old Anderson Street bridge is visible in the center. Near the bottom of the photo is the new ramp from westbound SR 408 to eastbound I-4 that is scheduled to open later in the spring."

:o

Central Florida's toll-road agency maintains such sloppy books that an audit released Tuesday by the Orange County Comptroller's Office could not determine how much money might have been wasted.

Orlando Sentinel

900k to PBS&J in one month? Approved in a day?

I had a client write me yesterday about $2 in cell phone calls.

They should call PBS&J's engineers to a disciplinary hearing, because it doesn't look like much else will ever happen. At least they are supposed to uphold some standards of professional conduct.

Edited by neon9

900k to PBS&J in one month? Approved in a day?

I had a client write me yesterday about $2 in cell phone calls.

They should call PBS&J's engineers to a disciplinary hearing, because it doesn't look like much else will ever happen. At least they are supposed to uphold some standards of professional conduct.

Remembering of course that this is the same firm that earlier this year had its former CFO and two other managers covicted on charges related to a long term embezzlement scheme that ended in them paying back several agencies including FDOT.

Those guys took in about $537 million last year in total revenue, of that over $301 million of that was earned regionally making them the top firm in the four state area (Florida, Georgia, NC, and SC). Thats better than a $18 million dollar jump regionally and $16 million total.

It doesn't appear that anyone is really telling them "no".

131184.jpg

"Looking ahead to November, there are some significant changes for drivers in downtown Orlando. On Monday, November 5, the new eastbound lane of South Street will be extended to Orange Avenue. Since mid-summer the eastbound lane of South Street has been open from Division Avenue to Boone Avenue. When the project is complete, the eastbound lane will reach all the way to Magnolia Avenue.

Also in November, a new Hughey Avenue ramp, near Amelia Street, will be opened to westbound I-4. At this same time the ramp from Hughey Avenue, near Robinson Street, to westbound I-4 will close permanently."

• 3 weeks later...

Any update on the progress of the S.R. 408 expansion on the east side in terms of the refurbishing of the Lake Underhill Bridge with it's new decorative suspension bridge cable structures as well as the progress of the new Holland East Toll Plaza?

If any photos of this are out there, please post

As of right now its not even worth mentioning, its just earthmoving and roadway alignment has changed a little.

I heard on the news that the Apopka Bypass/Maitland Blvd extension is under construction. Anyone know how far along the project is? I've noticed a lot of construction going on around the Hwy 441/Mtld Blvd intersection, but that's the extent of what I've seen.

The clearing for the roadway seems like it is done. It looks like they're mainly working on the big project of grading. The elevation fluctuates a lot just past 441 so there looks like there will be a few bridges and more elevated roadway than you might think.

130953.jpg133089.jpg

"On the morning of November 19 the new ramp from Hughey Avenue to westbound I-4 (above, highlighted in blue) will open to traffic. This new ramp is located just south of Amelia Street and will replace the westbound on-ramp located near Robinson Street (highlighted in red). An additional ramp from Hughey Avenue to westbound I-4 is anticipated to open in the spring 2008, south of Church Street.

There will be several advantages to the new ramp near Amelia Street for employees and visitors to the Orange County Courthouse and the Educational Leadership Center. Their parking garages and the Lynx Central Station will all have easy access to the new ramp. After an event at the Amway Arena, patrons who have parked on the north side (Lots 3 and 4) will also have a quicker approach to westbound I-4.

The Orlando Police Department and the City of Orlando Traffic Division are working closely with the Orlando Magic and other big event hosts to help everyone get home safely after each game or concert. When the new ramp opens, drivers that are parked east of I-4 or south of the arena (Lots 1, 5 and 6) will be directed to other westbound I-4 ramps in the area. These detours may change as a result of the crowd size and traffic conditions.

The westbound I-4 on-ramps in the area include: (1) Ivanhoe Boulevard, (2) westbound SR 50, and (3) the new ramp on Hughey Avenue near Amelia. As mentioned above, (4) the ramp on Hughey Avenue near Robinson Street will close be closed permanently. The Gore Street on-ramp (5) also serves as a good alternative for drivers in the downtown area."

130953.jpg133089.jpg

"On the morning of November 19 the new ramp from Hughey Avenue to westbound I-4 (above, highlighted in blue) will open to traffic. This new ramp is located just south of Amelia Street and will replace the westbound on-ramp located near Robinson Street (highlighted in red). An additional ramp from Hughey Avenue to westbound I-4 is anticipated to open in the spring 2008, south of Church Street.

There will be several advantages to the new ramp near Amelia Street for employees and visitors to the Orange County Courthouse and the Educational Leadership Center. Their parking garages and the Lynx Central Station will all have easy access to the new ramp. After an event at the Amway Arena, patrons who have parked on the north side (Lots 3 and 4) will also have a quicker approach to westbound I-4.

The Orlando Police Department and the City of Orlando Traffic Division are working closely with the Orlando Magic and other big event hosts to help everyone get home safely after each game or concert. When the new ramp opens, drivers that are parked east of I-4 or south of the arena (Lots 1, 5 and 6) will be directed to other westbound I-4 ramps in the area. These detours may change as a result of the crowd size and traffic conditions.

The westbound I-4 on-ramps in the area include: (1) Ivanhoe Boulevard, (2) westbound SR 50, and (3) the new ramp on Hughey Avenue near Amelia. As mentioned above, (4) the ramp on Hughey Avenue near Robinson Street will close be closed permanently. The Gore Street on-ramp (5) also serves as a good alternative for drivers in the downtown area."

I see your I-4 ramp and raise you a new toll plaza.

From the Expressway Authority Website:

Motorists are advised that the new Conway West plaza on westbound State Road 408 (East-West Expressway) is scheduled to open on the morning of Saturday, November 17. Once opened, westbound traffic on SR 408 will no longer pass through the old Conway Plaza. Instead, it will shift onto the new pavement located north of the old plaza. In order to prepare for the traffic shift, a series of three rolling roadblocks on westbound SR 408 will be required in the early morning hours of Saturday, November 17. The rolling roadblocks are scheduled to occur between Goldenrod Road and the new Conway West plaza. They will be led by Florida Highway Patrol cruisers and should last approximately 15 minutes. Additionally, lane closures will be in effect on westbound SR 408 from 9 p.m. Friday, November 16, to 8 a.m. Saturday, November 17, in order to facilitate the traffic shift. :shades:

133455.jpg

( 1 ) New westbound SR 408 to eastbound I-4 ramp, anticipated to open Spring 2008.

( 2 ) New Hughey Avenue to westbound I-4 on-ramp, anticipated to open Spring 2008.

( 3 ) New westbound I-4 to Anderson Street exit ramp, anticipated to open Summer 2008.

( 4 ) New Anderson Street Bridge, including east and westbound lanes, anticipated to open Summer 2008.

( 5 ) New eastbound SR 408 to eastbound I-4 ramp, anticipated to open January 2008.

( 6 ) New eastbound I-4 to Garland Avenue and South Street exit ramp, anticipated to open Summer 2008.

( 7 ) The remaining section of the old Anderson Street Bridge over I-4 is scheduled for demolition next month. During the first weeks of December the Florida Department of Transportation will be conducting pacing operations that will allow crews to complete the demolition of the old bridge. These pacing operations, also know as rolling roadblocks will slow down the highway traffic while crane lift large portions of this concrete structure. This activity will take approximately ten days to complete, beginning after December 3. The rolling roadblocks will only occur between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m., lasting no more than 30 minutes at a time. Multiple rolling roadblocks may happen each night.

• 2 weeks later...