Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

The interesting parts about it include the fact that it was originally the Municipal Justice Building which housed the City Courts (Florida no longer has those- they were phased out, I think, when Askew was governor.

Also notable was it housed the City Jail (also phased out.) The fascinating part about that was that those floors were left without a/c, and like most buildings from the late 60's/early 70's, had horrendous ventilation which made it a bit of a living h*ll.

• Like 1

Yeah, the new OPD HQ is a nice looking building, but I just don't think looks like a metro police dept. 

It doesn't project power or authority or officiality. It looks more like any run of the mill corporate office building.

Plus, it's kinda small. Shoulda been at good 50% taller if not 2x.

• Like 1

I liked the old OPD building too. Was the architecture considered modernist or brutalist? The entrance & grounds were stately yet peaceful, albeit the building itself seemed haunted... dark & brooding. Especially inside. Still better than the new building which looks like glass box transported from a Lake Mary office park.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

I liked the old OPD building too. Was the architecture considered modernist or brutalist? The entrance & grounds were stately yet peaceful, albeit the building itself seemed haunted... dark & brooding. Especially inside. Still better than the new building which looks like glass box transported from a Lake Mary office park.

wow.  bravo. very well worded. 

While spenser1058 writes a history or Orlando, you should collaborate with him and write poetry or haiku or really insightful descriptions of stuff.  I mean that.

modernist?

personally, I liked the OPD building.  I just fear that it's parcel will sit undeveloped for a while.

13 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Also notable was it housed the City Jail (also phased out.) The fascinating part about that was that those floors were left without a/c, and like most buildings from the late 60's/early 70's, had horrendous ventilation which made it a bit of a living h*ll.

Add in all those desk jockey cops smoking 3 packs of cigs a day inside.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The interesting parts about it include the fact that it was originally the Municipal Justice Building which housed the City Courts (Florida no longer has those- they were phased out, I think, when Askew was governor.

Wasn't mold (or some similar irreparable damage) one of the reasons they gave for not being able to save the existing building? 

50 minutes ago, alex said:

Wasn't mold (or some similar irreparable damage) one of the reasons they gave for not being able to save the existing building? 

It very well may have been but the building had long since outlived its useful life. It really wasn't designed to just be a police station and from what I understood they also had issues updating wiring and it was pre-ADA which is a bear for public buildings.

• Like 1

If not for the MEC, it would've been kinda cool to have seen the place completely gutted and the old exterior removed down to the concrete skeleton, then have all new wiring, plumbing and accessibilty installed, and finally, re-skinned to create an entirely new building. Maybe even a few floors added to the tower section.

Of course, that almost certainly would've been more expensive than building an entirely new building from scratch.

• Like 2

That was definitely the idea. I stopped by to take photos before it opened and I caught a police officer just standing in the parking lot looking at the space and he looked at me and said, "it's just so open ... there's nothing here to stop a drive by" which kind of floored me. He was visibly shaken. 

• Like 1

^^^This.  I've been on the receiving end on that situation a couple of times and when it happens you're really floored thinking "I wasn't doing anything wrong".  Each incident I was wondering why the officer is accusing me of this when there's no crime being committed.  I held a lot of resentment to the Orlando Police Dept because pretty much until Pulse happened.  I felt they handled that situation better than I had been giving them credit for because of my experiences.

Surveyor working in the parking lot on NE corner of Rosalind and Robinson yesterday and today.    I asked him if he knew what it was for and he just said that usually when he's there it's the start of something.   

This lot is owned by Highwoods.  You'll remember that they recently took the Eola Park building across the street off the market.

• Like 2