sunshine

Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

Jernigan    1002

Has anyone figured out how to pull up newer permits on the City website?  They've switched over from, for example: MPL2017-00001 to MPL2017-10001.   The newer format with the leading "1" doesn't load in the permit status site.   I'm sure I'm not the only one frustrated by this here!

• Like 1

nite owℓ    218

All gone. I'm going to be optimistic and hope the asphalt is just temporary. I believe the last plan submitted for this lot was affordable housing for the elderly.

Before:

Lot.thumb.jpg.8ce1bd8ed7ef6d9b5602792713e99631.jpg

After:

WP_20170901_10_08_54_Panorama.thumb.jpg.754bacfb40bcf2d938a67fc2140d6784.jpg

• Like 1

RedStar25    206
On 9/2/2017 at 11:37 AM, JFW657 said:

Kinda sad.... 

The old police station coming down? I wont miss it. I do hope the Magic's Entertainment complex has some architectural integrity to it. 

JFW657    1082
19 minutes ago, RedStar25 said:

The old police station coming down? I wont miss it. I do hope the Magic's Entertainment complex has some architectural integrity to it. 

I won't miss it's unattractive appearance, but it's been a part of downtown for so long.

It was like an old neighbor who you just got used to seeing even though it wasn't much to look at.

Memories, etc.

spenser1058    836
16 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I won't miss it's unattractive appearance, but it's been a part of downtown for so long.

It was like an old neighbor who you just got used to seeing even though it wasn't much to look at.

Memories, etc.

*breaks out into a rousing rendition of "The Way We Were".... like buttah*

• Like 3

alex    426

Interesting tidbit on NPR this morning about the hurricane and its implication on downtown Miami: Apparently, construction cranes are meant to withstand 140 mph winds. With Irma coming through, the city is urging residents of towers surrounding the construction sites to evacuate because of the potential damage a rampant crane could do. So, this weekend, be thankful for our stumpy high-rises?

Jernigan    1002

Heard that  too but thought their crane count was actually around 40 - double the 20 she mentioned.  

JFW657    1082

They put the cranes in "weather vane" mode. They aren't locked into any one position, which allows them to turn whichever direction the wind is blowing like a wind direction indicator.

jrs2    376

nightmare scenario.  Sandy took down the crane in Manhattan a few years back...man oh man...

bqknight    90
25 minutes ago, codypet said:

The Seacoast building seems to have lost windows on the upper stories during the storm.

That street looked to have got it bad. Must have created some sort of wind tunnel between them. I walked down there the day after and there was glass everywhere and many of the awnings down. 

bqknight    90
22 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

Seacoast or Seaside?

Seaside...I had to look it up, had no idea they were different. The awnings on The Plaza on that street were torn off and the Chase sign was hanging. Glass everywhere.