sunshine

Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

58 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Agreed.   But there is a correlation between skyline and innovation, and development with growth and construction.  It seems like Orlando is on life support when it comes to construction downtown compared to some of these other cities.  The only thing I see is that projects like Lucerne Promenade are potential catalysts for future growth.  Publix in Paramount was supposed to be that, but the only projects built nearby since it opened post-boom are: CitiTower, 420 Artisan, Thornton Park Brownstones, and now Modera (which I don't think is because of Publix).  Is that good, or should there have been more?

I see it as a bit of a both?  I don't think any of us envisioned Citi Tower rising up on what is largely a narrow lot, and giving us our best building in a decade.  At the same time, with 420, and 520 once it gets going, where else do you want to build in South Eola?

I know there was a proposal at one point to knock down one or two of the houses on Pine and replace them with a tower, but I actually like the bungalows that are offices to give it a different less CBD feel.  Once Modera finishes and if Capital Plaza 3 ever kicks off, there's basically no empty lots on either Pine or Church except for the two assisted living tower parking lots. 

The question is how do you activate it more.   I have the same question with North Quarter.  I love that Orange is entirely filled in.  However you go up there after 9, its a ghosttown.  How do we get those people out and about, sitting in cafes or on patios.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AndyPok1 said:

I see it as a bit of a both?  I don't think any of us envisioned Citi Tower rising up on what is largely a narrow lot, and giving us our best building in a decade.  At the same time, with 420, and 520 once it gets going, where else do you want to build in South Eola?

I know there was a proposal at one point to knock down one or two of the houses on Pine and replace them with a tower, but I actually like the bungalows that are offices to give it a different less CBD feel.  Once Modera finishes and if Capital Plaza 3 ever kicks off, there's basically no empty lots on either Pine or Church except for the two assisted living tower parking lots. 

The question is how do you activate it more.   I have the same question with North Quarter.  I love that Orange is entirely filled in.  However you go up there after 9, its a ghosttown.  How do we get those people out and about, sitting in cafes or on patios.

Great questions.  I remember those huge proposals between Sanctuary and Jackson that never got built because of the bust.  Those two lots are still vacant (520 is one of them).  Yeah, I didn't envision CitiTower going up either. 

People mention how Orlando has so much land compared to Miami- which dictates height.  But, South Eola land is finite, so, when the 420 Artisan people build a 9-10 story, two block long building, I think there's a problem with that.  CitiTower is a great example of what should be built.  420 should've been half the footprint and roughly the height of CitiTower.  Especially when Star Tower is right next door with a minimal footprint and rooftop amenities deck.

In a big city, you would see a dozen more buildings going up in that South Eola quadrant with the available land that's left.  I know, we've beat that horse dead countless times...

Looks like something from I-Drive.  Instead of making the building a piece of art, they will put it up with art on it.  Lacks any imagination whatsoever.

The article states that what is shown in the rendering (a treble clef) is just a place holder and that the the final artwork will be something altogether different.

31 minutes ago, bulldogger said:

Looks like something from I-Drive.  Instead of making the building a piece of art, they will put it up with art on it.  Lacks any imagination whatsoever.

Buildings should strive to look like buildings. Once you start trying to create buildings as art, you run the risk of creating an eyesore.

I think we've all seen buildings that tried to be a piece of art and ended up looking like a piece of.... well, something else.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It appears to be a 3rd phase of condo development just south of the Disney Animal Kingdom property between Osceola Parkway and 192 in Osceola County.

Edited by dcluley98

There is a third rendering of the Magnolia Rose that flashes when you go to growthspotter before it goes behind that paywall.  It doesn't show the "artwork" so much, and presents a more urban view.  Has anyone been able to grab that image, or know another source?

Here is the MPB Report with lots of renderings: http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2017/09/MPBStaffReport2017-09_ZON2017-00014wAddendum.pdf

Not sure if the rendering you are looking for is in there, but there is a rendering of the courtyard showing a Starbucks, Chipotle, and Max's Phillipino restaurant. Pretty sure those are dummies though, as I haven't heard anything about retail leasing plans and would suspect nothing is in place given the zoning has not been approved yet. There is also a fountain entrance walkway feature and a sculpture. Although they need some more cover over cafe seating (canopy or arcade?) and some real trees instead of palm trees to provide some natural shade. 

MPBStaffReport2017-09_ZON2017-00014wAddendum-16.png

Edited by dcluley98
updated image
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, cwetteland said:

There is a third rendering of the Magnolia Rose that flashes when you go to growthspotter before it goes behind that paywall.  It doesn't show the "artwork" so much, and presents a more urban view.  Has anyone been able to grab that image, or know another source?

This it?

magrose.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, orlandouprise said:

i like that side more. Lol

If these developers for real want to build this there, I really hope the city doesn't screw them over. It may not be perfect but it sure as hell beats the empty lot that's sitting there right now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Personally, I think that project's great.  I really like this other view from Livingston that JFW657 posted above.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What's the point of the Orlando Biz Journals website anymore? Literally almost every single article is subscriber content now. Who TF is going to spend $100 to read that s***?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Demo permit was submitted for building on 68 S Ivanhoe next to the Doubletree.  Not sure what is there to demo.  

On 9/21/2017 at 8:18 PM, orange87 said:

What's the point of the Orlando Biz Journals website anymore? Literally almost every single article is subscriber content now. Who TF is going to spend $100 to read that s***?

At the end of the day, they're a newspaper that's in the business of making money.  But don't cry sour grapes just because you can't view an article without having to fork over the cheddar.

13 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

At the end of the day, they're a newspaper that's in the business of making money.  But don't cry sour grapes just because you can't view an article without having to fork over the cheddar.

It is disappointing. I appreciated all the free stuff we had on the net because of advertising but ad blockers is killing it.

33 minutes ago, aent said:

It is disappointing. I appreciated all the free stuff we had on the net because of advertising but ad blockers is killing it.

Ah...  But this site mandates (in a way) that you turn the ad blockers off.

Of all the sites to go subscription, the OBJ is the only one that hasn't bothered me.   I mean I hate to miss out on learning why Lake Nona is "everything Amazon wants and more" 

• Haha 2