Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

1 hour ago, codypet said:

Their garage is the size of Crescent Central.   That's also the worst place for a pool.  With towers blocking the south and west sides of the pool.  If they turn it 180 degrees then the towers are against  Orange and not the railroad/I-4/Ace Cafe.  Do we have enough garages at this point?  800 N. Magnolia has more spaces than it'll ever need because the garage was sized for a tower that was supposed to be built where Nora is now.  I believe that the BOA building has the same situation.  Don't get me started on what is a massive courthouse garage.  Its hideous from the north.

I'm not sure who would rent in a building downtown that didn't have it's own garage.

There’s a market for it - it would definitely need to be reflected in price though.  

A neat way to study it would be to offer residents (or people looking to move DT) the choice of a 200/month rent subsidy or a parking space.    I’d personally chose the subsidy and try to beat that number using Uber or Zipcar 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, prahaboheme said:

^Crescent Central should never have been that short and wide, though, at that location. Anything is going to make it look out of place. 

Not compared to the little buildings in front of the courthouse, and if they leave BellSouth the height it is.  Also Lynx behind it isn't much taller.  I mean ideally we want it to be taller, but it fits in with its current surroundings.   

19 minutes ago, Dale said:

Check that, just saw that the only Orlando-sanctioned architect, Baker Barrios, will be involved. Low confidence on appearance now.

What does that mean exactly?  

21 minutes ago, codypet said:

Not compared to the little buildings in front of the courthouse, and if they leave BellSouth the height it is.  Also Lynx behind it isn't much taller.  I mean ideally we want it to be taller, but it fits in with its current surroundings.   

that's the same reasoning for the Magic's office building being only 5-6 stories tall...  

51 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

There’s a market for it - it would definitely need to be reflected in price though.  

A neat way to study it would be to offer residents (or people looking to move DT) the choice of a 200/month rent subsidy or a parking space.    I’d personally chose the subsidy and try to beat that number using Uber or Zipcar 

Yeah, but you still need a car in Orlando.  Also, parking is a huge money maker for those property management companies and that's why I think they always have a parking component in those designs.

24 minutes ago, codypet said:

The little buildings near the courthouse have a smaller footprint, bellsouth is at last about to be renovated to a more pedestrian friendly facade, and the Lynx is a public bus terminal that is buzzing with activity.

Crescent manages to not capture much of any of these characteristics. I'm just happy that the entire lot wasn't developed in this manner.

Edited by prahaboheme

Ummm, Property Markets Group built this infamous pox on the NYC skyline. They are certainly bold. Interesting they are jumping from their core Tier 1 markets of NYC, Miami, and Chicago straight to Orlando. 3ef656adefd8742b4c021e15e5ff4e5d.jpg&key=2765e8a7b1f209ec2b8e7bf783e72af99723eb8730faa639d7c375e7229b46d3

EDIT: wrong building. I’m easily confused. The rendering looks a lot like this:

f339e4897ad6edf8ea945dee8535a800.jpg&key=b8016f7b4a44fa2c6d41965e20cee541d32422a8d0b107d8aac8bbd346497dd0

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, jliv said:

Ummm, Property Markets Group built this infamous pox on the NYC skyline. They are certainly bold. Interesting they are jumping from their core Tier 1 markets of NYC, Miami, and Chicago straight to Orlando. 3ef656adefd8742b4c021e15e5ff4e5d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Neither here nor there, but has that been built yet?  I was in NYC last June and I don't recall seeing that building there.  Is it proposed or in early stages of construction?  I guess the 7-1 base to height ratio ain't a thing anymore.

Edited by jrs2

40 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Neither here nor there, but has that been built yet?  I was in NYC last June and I don't recall seeing that building there.  Is it proposed or in early stages of construction?  I guess the 7-1 base to height ratio ain't a thing anymore.

It's was held up when one of the partners bailed out. PMG is still involved though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jrs2 said:

What does that mean exactly?  

that's the same reasoning for the Magic's office building being only 5-6 stories tall...  

Yeah, but you still need a car in Orlando.  Also, parking is a huge money maker for those property management companies and that's why I think they always have a parking component in those designs.

Oops.  Should I run out and buy one then?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dale said:

When I was living in Orlando, just to purify myself, I took public transit from my home, west of UCF, to downtown. Took me an hour and a half.

I’ve never heard “purify” and “took  public transit ” used in the same sentence before 

Edited by Jernigan

4 hours ago, Dale said:

Days after 9/11 editorials declared that the high rise was dead. Now, people are paying millions to live in towers that look like they might snap in a stiff breeze.

I know, right? 

THEY couldn't pay ME enough to live in one of those toothpicks.

I don't even like the way they look from a distance.

• Like 1