Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

Classical music is supposed to make us smarter, I think...  I would be more sure of that if I listened to classical music... but anyway...

But to 7-Eleven, maybe it has the same  effect of that ultrasonic device that keeps critters away.

Edited by jrs2

You have to give them a reason to come or they won't.

"Hey would you rather see Shamu, Harry Potter, and Mickey Mouse OR would you rather go look at a very small lake full of duck poop with a plastic swan boat ride?  Did I mention there is a fountain and an empty fake pagoda???"

DPAC, the soccer stadium, or a sporting event or show at the Amway is worth the trip into town if you're into that stuff, but what real draw does anyone in the tourist corridor have to come downtown? 

I'm going to guess that DPAC,  Lions, Amway don't get a ton of tourists beyond someone who is a slightly outside of Orlando tourist (comes from the coast or Tampa or Jax or Ocala) because they are fans of something.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, HankStrong said:

When I first moved to Florida I lived in a cheap little place on the N side of Goldenrod & 408.  Almost every day there was a guy panhandling on the EB off-ramp to the 408.  The house I was renting was about a half mile from that intersection off Bryan Road.  I regularly saw that guy ending his shift and walking toward my house.  He had parked on this dead end road called Ormond right off Bryan.  He'd change his clothes, hop in his SUV and drive away.  I remember it being a fairly nice SUV.  I think it was a Nissan Pathfinder, back when I was driving a beat up pickup (I brought it from up North with me and it didn't even have A/C!!!!) and wishing I could have something nice like a Pathfinder.

I was like "why am I working and he panhandles and lives nicer than I do!"   Fallacy or not, I was bummed out by that.

lol, reminds me of this time at work where there was someone who came by every week digging through our trash, on a schedule, pulling out stuff to scrap, resell, whatnot, and he clearly was mentally deficient, but super friendly (asked permission and all too), driving an older vehicle that wasn't too bad, but nothing to make you jealous... Until one week when he came by in a brand new car, reasonably nice Ford Fusion or something, and we asked him about it, and he said "yeah, all the stuff ya'll throw out is really valuable I was able to buy a brand new car! thanks guys!" and we all just sat there completely stunned.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I live in Hannibal Square in Winter Park. Honestly, I miss the crackheads. I'll take the old crackheads over all these damn hipsters that have taken over this area. The crackheads were nice and really didn't bother me outside of the occasional request for change. The hipsters will drive you over if you're not careful and dirt get me started on their impact on rental rates here. The fabric of Hannibal Square went from bohemian and unique to anywhere USA. All the cool artists and creative types moved out, now it's just rich spoiled kids and tiny dogs. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

More on our discussion about parks....

Today's Miami Herald has an article today about the new elevated Rail Park in Philadelphia. It is styled after the High Line in NYC & will be eventually much longer (3 miles).

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/article212877179.html

Also, Dallas is currently establishing the nation's largest urban park system. It just broke ground in its fourth urban-core park in the past few years. The recently-opened Klyde Warren Park is attracting high rise development.

Tampa opened the urban-core Julian B. Lane Riverfront Park just a few weeks ago. The park is adjacent to the U. of Tampa campus & is directly across the river from the Performing Arts Center. 

Parkland is not a particularly tricky thing to establish.  It just takes political will.

Edited by I am Reality
  • Like 4

Parkland is not a big-city thing.  Nor is it particularly controversial.

Every small town in America preserves green space.   

I use the big-city examples because land costs are MUCH more expensive elsewhere.  If more expensive cities can set aside expensive land, so can we.  

Someone in Dallas, Atlanta, and Philadelphia decided those cities don't have enough parkland.  So they spent a lot of money to fix it.  A similar fix in Orlando would cost a fraction of what they are paying, but there is no political will or foresight to get it done.

I am not referring to the Under I-4 park.  That may or may not have its merits.  I am talking about quiet contemplation & blue skies.  

• Like 3

I agree with you. Were it up to me, we'd work with one of the park trusts to square up Eola Park from Summerlin to Rosalind.

College Park has also been lacking in park space but hopefully the new one in the Packing House District will help with that.

OC also needs a lot more park space in East Orange south of FL50.

On 6/9/2018 at 2:23 PM, spenser1058 said:

I agree with you. Were it up to me, we'd work with one of the park trusts to square up Eola Park from Summerlin to Rosalind.

College Park has also been lacking in park space but hopefully the new one in the Packing House District will help with that.

OC also needs a lot more park space in East Orange south of FL50.

I would also like to see the land just south of Lowndes be added to the park with a new Thornton Park gateway and new, larger children's' play area with splash pad, etc.  My second dream for that parcel is, along with everything down to Washington, a museum site. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

I'd like to see Eola Dr taken out and the park stretch all the way across that. It doesn't need to exist.
Especially if the rumor that EO Inn will be demoed soon is true.

You mean all the way to Summerlin? Thats not going to happen. 

It's actually quite doable. North of Washington St., everyone either can access from the rear or on Washington St. From Washington to Central, there's only one former residence (now offices) that would have a challenge and they could be rerouted into the parking garage access for TPC (that part would probably need to stay open to Central unless rerouted through the garage somehow. The Washington to Robinson St. stretch would be easiest.

Wow. What a bunch of (IMHO) bad ideas. Eola Dr is a beautiful tree lined brick street that adds charm to the area. I can't think of anything you could do with the extra park space you'd create that would be worth what we'd lose.

And fill in part of Lake Eola? It's already small enough. Take away a fourth of it and we'd barely have a duck pond left.

I really don't get all this park obsession anyway. We've got parks that I've never seen too full to use and which often times just sit empty.

• Like 3

Just now, popsiclebrandon said:

Having more open green space with trees is better than a street full of potholes and some trees with root systems that are making the road a mess as well. Plus having cars next to an area where small children play is probably not the best.

Having lived at the intersection of Eola and Washington for 16 years and with my living room window looking out at Eola Drive, it's scary how many people blow through the stop sign at the intersection with nary a thought to stopping. Keep the trees but lose the traffic and expand the park to Summerlin. Just a look at the grass shows the park is being overloved and could badly use expansion.

• Like 1

Buying that land would cost over $30 million. Plus you would lose nearly and half million in tax annually not to mention the added cost of the park to maintain and the loss of highly paid employees in that building.

No thanks. I'm all for new park space, but this money could be used in better ways.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1