Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

38 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Buying that land would cost over $30 million. Plus you would lose nearly and half million in tax annually not to mention the added cost of the park to maintain and the loss of highly paid employees in that building.

No thanks. I'm all for new park space, but this money could be used in better ways.

Which building? Lowndes? They long ago relocated much of their staff to SunTrust Center. A law firm like that thrives on its local ties; if it weren't there, it wouldn't go far.

In any event, I'm sure it would have to be done in pieces just like it has been since it's inception.Right now, there are two empty pieces of land along Eola Drive that should be the starting point, especially the piece between Lowndes and Bel Fontaine that goes back to Summerlin.

As to the cost, it's only going to get more expensive. And there's a reason land surrounding the park is some of Orlando's most valuable. Just ask anyone who lives on Central Park West. As New Yorkers discovered more than a century ago, park land only increases the value of the surrounding property. It also helps to negate increased pollution levels, reduce the stress of residents and increase their health. Many studies have been done showing that city dwellers tend to be more fit than suburbanites because they walk more. Access to parks helps make that possible. (Having grown up just north of Pine Hills when there were no parks, I can attest to that.) And I'm not alone - when we stood to lose Constitution Green, neighbors of mine who had never had the least interest in politics were ready to go to battle stations. All in all, it's a win-win. 

People who don't want urban amenities can live in unincorporated Orange County. That was my parents' mantra growing up and I hated every minute of it. It's why I live in Orlando proper (I couldn't wait to join Mayor Bill back then) and am more than willing to pay the premium.

Edited by spenser1058

Just now, JFW657 said:

It's all moot anyway.

Never gonna happen.

That was exactly what they said when the Eola Five were about to be replaced by an office building. Highwoods was too connected to fight! Next time you're  at Movieola, think about the building you're not sitting in.

1 minute ago, spenser1058 said:

That was exactly what they said when the Eola Five were about to be replaced by an office building. Highwoods was too connected to fight! Next time you're  at Movieola, think about the building you're not sitting in.

What and where is Movieola and which building am I not sitting in and why?

• Haha 1

Just now, JFW657 said:

What and where is Movieola and which building am I not sitting in and why?

Movieola is the free movie series held in the Eola Park expansion on Friday nights once a month or so during the summer.

It's lots of fun watching the kids wander. The movies tend toward Goonies and the like but it's great nevertheless.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Movieola is the free movie series held in the Eola Park expansion on Friday nights once a month or so during the summer.

It's lots of fun watching the kids wander. The movies tend toward Goonies and the like but it's great nevertheless.

Oh, OK. Obviously I've never been... :blush:

But still, I don't think a comparison can be made to tearing down all those buildings along Eola Dr and ripping up the street, etc.

Besides, I like Eola Dr. personally.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, codypet said:

Interesting.  The big major bank player missing from Orlando is Citi Group.  I wonder when they'll decide to come down.

Citibank has a presence in South Florida (from Palm Beach County southward.) At one point it was looking to keep up with the other big boys (Chase and BoA) but about 25+ years ago stalled as the company tried to figure out problems in international banking, decoupling from insurance and various other messes it got itself into. They still have a presence in Texas, I think, and are big around NYC but they seem to have lost their appetite for nationwide retail banking. The bottom line: I wouldn't expect them in Orlando soon. But they do have Citi-branded ATMs fee-free at 7-Eleven. OH THANK HEAVEN!

• Thanks 1

On 6/9/2018 at 2:08 PM, I am Reality said:

Parkland is not a big-city thing.  Nor is it particularly controversial.

Every small town in America preserves green space.   

I use the big-city examples because land costs are MUCH more expensive elsewhere.  If more expensive cities can set aside expensive land, so can we.  

Someone in Dallas, Atlanta, and Philadelphia decided those cities don't have enough parkland.  So they spent a lot of money to fix it.  A similar fix in Orlando would cost a fraction of what they are paying, but there is no political will or foresight to get it done.

I am not referring to the Under I-4 park.  That may or may not have its merits.  I am talking about quiet contemplation & blue skies.  

Would be interesting to see if Lake Eola and Loch Haven Park can ever be connected  as a grand central type park. Don’t know if it’s possible but surely interesting.

• Like 1

According to OBJ - the Suntrust Building will be going under some renovations when Suntrust leave. 

Meanwhile, the potential new opportunities — totaling several million dollars worth of construction — at SunTrust Center include:

• New branding at the top of the building after SunTrust leaves
  • Installing an interactive lighting structure 
  • Activating the green space near the building by bringing in more seating
  • Upgrading the main lobby hall and adding amenities, including a food hall
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, bqknight said:

According to OBJ - the Suntrust Building will be going under some renovations when Suntrust leave. 

Meanwhile, the potential new opportunities — totaling several million dollars worth of construction — at SunTrust Center include:

• New branding at the top of the building after SunTrust leaves
  • Installing an interactive lighting structure 
  • Activating the green space near the building by bringing in more seating
  • Upgrading the main lobby hall and adding amenities, including a food hall

So, not just the offices will leave then?  Meaning, the first floor bank will shut down too?  All of the bank desks and kiosks?

7 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

So, not just the offices will leave then?  Meaning, the first floor bank will shut down too?  All of the bank desks and kiosks?

This leads me to believe SunTrust is pulling a Chase with the bank branch as an afterthought tucked around the corner instead of the focal point of the ground floor.

Given I haven't needed a bank branch for a couple of decades, it makes sense, but nevertheless it's an anachronism that seems fitting for the bank's supposed major facility in the state.

OTOH, Trust long ago became the major partner from the merger rather than Sun so I guess that sort of extravagance belongs in Atlanta.

If the bank branch is going to the new building, I hope they plan to do a lot more to make it pedestrian-friendly. At the moment, I'd rather eat dirt than walk along South Street.

• Like 1

I wonder if they'll pull a Wells Fargo and put another atm closer to Central.  They already have that one on the Sentinel property, but I assume its days are numbered.  Does that just leave Regions and BOA as having traditional big bank branches on the ground floor of buildings downtown?  The Wells Fargo one is more of a suburban branch inside a DT building.

• Like 1

The building where First Green Bank is was built with a main banking floor (for the old Citizens Bank) but I have no idea if it's still used for that purpose. Same with PNC across from Lake Eola (the building was built for Southeast Bank.)

Come to think of it, BB&T, Seaside Bank, Eola Park Center and Fairwinds all had banking floors when they opened. I have no idea how many are still intact. Also, the old First Federal at Church and Magnolia (no idea) and the Insight credit union on Robinson.

14 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

So WC is coming to the US in 2026. Orlando is a potential host. I think we get cut but maybe we can use this to get expanded Sunrail out to attractions and airport to handle this event. Would be huge for the area to basically get that going by the massive tourist influx for a few weeks.

I think we're right on that line. We hosted it in 1994 and I think our biggest draw is being a tourist destination to begin with. The large Brazilian population certainly helps as well. Guess we'll see how well our people can lobby in the coming years.